Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional style masks. I also thought they were cool looking, and after doing some research on them, I have read some Pros and Cons. Most Cons were saying how it doesn't cover ears, or their state doesn't approve it. The Pros were that it gave less of a chance of concussion because it falls off after impact. I'm just wondering, going into my High School years on what mask I should wear.

Thanks!

Original Post
Originally Posted by Backstop1512:

Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional style masks. I also thought they were cool looking, and after doing some research on them, I have read some Pros and Cons. Most Cons were saying how it doesn't cover ears, or their state doesn't approve it. The Pros were that it gave less of a chance of concussion because it falls off after impact. I'm just wondering, going into my High School years on what mask I should wear.

Thanks!

Does your state require the hockey style? There has been a lot of talk and debate about this topic. Search this forum and you will probably get more info than you have time to read. 

In Ohio it is a moot point. In HS the Hockey style mask is required. However many kids wear the traditional in the Summer.

Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:
Originally Posted by Backstop1512:

Okay guys, so I am a catcher recently going into High School. I have worn a hockey mask for all my life. I haven't had much problems with it. I have an All Star MVP4000 and I love it. As I continue to get older I keep seeing more and more traditional style masks. I also thought they were cool looking, and after doing some research on them, I have read some Pros and Cons. Most Cons were saying how it doesn't cover ears, or their state doesn't approve it. The Pros were that it gave less of a chance of concussion because it falls off after impact. I'm just wondering, going into my High School years on what mask I should wear.

Thanks!

Does your state require the hockey style? There has been a lot of talk and debate about this topic. Search this forum and you will probably get more info than you have time to read. 

In Ohio it is a moot point. In HS the Hockey style mask is required. However many kids wear the traditional in the Summer.

Thank you BishopsLeftiesDad for replying. I will do some research on that. I see lots of kids wearing them so I will see. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by coach2709:

The mask helmet is there for protection and safety.  Never make a decision on any safety equipment based on how cool it looks or what others are doing.  Get the one that protects you the most.  That would be the hockey style mask.  

My son is in 9th grade and will be trying out for his HS team in the next few weeks. He has always used a hockey style mask since he started catching in LL 5-6 years ago. All the time he asks me about getting a traditional style and, inveitabely, the terms "cool" and "everyone's doing it" come out. You can imagine my response.

Originally Posted by Batty67:
Originally Posted by coach2709:

The mask helmet is there for protection and safety.  Never make a decision on any safety equipment based on how cool it looks or what others are doing.  Get the one that protects you the most.  That would be the hockey style mask.  

My son is in 9th grade and will be trying out for his HS team in the next few weeks. He has always used a hockey style mask since he started catching in LL 5-6 years ago. All the time he asks me about getting a traditional style and, inveitabely, the terms "cool" and "everyone's doing it" come out. You can imagine my response.

I played with the old school two piece myself and never played a game with the hockey style.  I have caught some of my pitchers bullpens with the hockey style and I really like it to be honest.  But the whole "cool" and "everyone's doing it" is generational.  When the hockey style mask came out everyone wanted to have one because it was "cool" and "everyone's doing it" as well.  Now that the hockey style is the norm the kids coming up see the old two piece as trendy.  As the OP said each one has it's pros and cons I think for overall bang for the buck the hockey style provides more protection.

....But the whole "cool" and "everyone's doing it" is generational.  When the hockey style mask came out everyone wanted to have one because it was "cool" and "everyone's doing it" as well.  Now that the hockey style is the norm the kids coming up see the old two piece as trendy......

 

I'm waiting for the curved bill hat worn straight to come back in style.

My son wears both of the All Star types.  We live in TX so in the school year he has to wear the hockey style.  No issues with it.

 

In the summer he prefers the two piece.  He is a kid who sweats a lot and he finds the two piece to be more comfortable in the heat.  He claims it stays drier as well.

 

My son is a 14yo 8th grader and prefers the two piece (Mizuno mask, Wilson skull cap)over his hockey style helmet (All Star 2500). He will wear the All Star if rules says it so and has no problems wearing either. He just prefers the two piece. He says the two piece is cooler (temperature not looks) and on foul tips don't ring his bell like the hockey style sometimes does. The fact that the foul tips don't rattle him is enough for me to support it. I coach his team and I have argued for him to use the two piece because rules did not specifically state that the catchers helmet needed to be NOSCAE approved. I'm no doctor but if I can minimize the trauma to my sons head, I'm for it. On the other hand, he is a very good catcher with a lot of experience behind the plate. I wouldn't allow one of my newer catchers to use the two piece unless they can show me their skills/mechanics are up to par.

 

I don't mind that this has been talked about before. This forum has minimum activity. It's nice to see any new post

Originally Posted by Sugi:

My son is a 14yo 8th grader and prefers the two piece (Mizuno mask, Wilson skull cap)over his hockey style helmet (All Star 2500). He will wear the All Star if rules says it so and has no problems wearing either. He just prefers the two piece. He says the two piece is cooler (temperature not looks) and on foul tips don't ring his bell like the hockey style sometimes does. The fact that the foul tips don't rattle him is enough for me to support it. I coach his team and I have argued for him to use the two piece because rules did not specifically state that the catchers helmet needed to be NOSCAE approved. I'm no doctor but if I can minimize the trauma to my sons head, I'm for it. On the other hand, he is a very good catcher with a lot of experience behind the plate. I wouldn't allow one of my newer catchers to use the two piece unless they can show me their skills/mechanics are up to par.

 

I don't mind that this has been talked about before. This forum has minimum activity. It's nice to see any new post

I don't know why you'd think a two-piece offers better protection, which seems to be the implication of "foul tips don't ring his bell" and "minimize trauma" with the two piece.  This from David Halstead, technical director for NOCSEA - "For impacts to the face, the hockey-style mask is significantly superior to the traditional catcher's headgear combination."

 

Two piece is perhaps more comfortable, but I don't agree that they are as safe as the hockey style mask.

Trojan skipper hits this on the head.....if you play under NFHS rules, and most all HS baseball is, there is no choice, the traditional mask and helmet are prohibited for NFHS play.

 

it does have to be NOCSAE certified and have dual ear protection......thus the HSM is the most used mask......

 

Related question:  My son wants to go to a 2 piece mask because he says that he can see better with it.  It seems like that wide design of the mask gives a better view both peripherally and directional line of sight.  Was wondering if anyone else had seen that as a reason for going to the old style.  Comments?

I've worn both... and there is a perceived difference in field of vision but not any real difference.  I think it is due to the sides of the helmet being against your face. But like said before, if your son plays under NFHS rules he has to wear the hockey style helmet
Originally Posted by mepp:

Related question:  My son wants to go to a 2 piece mask because he says that he can see better with it.  It seems like that wide design of the mask gives a better view both peripherally and directional line of sight.  Was wondering if anyone else had seen that as a reason for going to the old style.  Comments?

You can come up with whatever reason you want, NFHS rules specify that the mask must be approved by NOCSAE as a unit. The two-piece mask/helmet does not meet that requirement.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×