Skip to main content

One of my son's teammates has committed to a D-III school, but ended up drafted in the 44th round. Do D-I schools look at things like that and try to move in and suddenly do a late recruiting pitch, kind of like a vulture? Just wondering, b/c for whatever reason, the D-I schools were not showing much (if any) interest, and I am curious if being drafted might change that.
********************************************** Baseball players don't make excuses...they make adjustments.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Alot will change between this past week and August...this leads us back to a previous discussion on "over recruiting." Our rosters are not set until the first day of class...at DIII there is no Letter of Intent, so it's purely a verbal committment backed by the integrity of the individual. Most of us will lose on average 3-4 kids to DI in the next month. WHY? Because it's a domino effect. Someone gets drafted...scholarship opens up, DI's look at their B list to fill the gaps, player goes to DI, sits on bench for year or two (depending of course) and isn't happy and looks to transfer...happens all the time!
VJC Baseball -- This brings up a situation I don't understand. What do the elite D-I (say, Top 10) programs do when players they've signed get drafted and sign a pro contract? Presumably, the players good enough to play at such programs have already signed with a school by the time the June draft rolls around. Are there really players still left in the pool of unsigned players who are capable of helping these high-powered programs? Thanks.
Oak,
I do not coach at that level, so I can just give you my take on it...JUCO is one option...there are many kids that go unsigned late...and sign over the course of late spring, early summer...don't get me wrong...if you lose #1 lefty that's throwing mid 90's...your not replacing that...but you can pick up an upper 80's righty that could help your bullpen, and someone else would need to step up to the plate...there is so much talent out there it is unreal! To answer your question: YES, maybe not at the same capabilities as the guy who was drafted but can definately help or create depth.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.