Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The "commitment" at this point of time is one way and non-binding. USC got a verbal commitment from a pending 2007 grad back in the spring.

At this point in time, he has stated that he is planning on attending UNC and is no longer actively seeking to be recruited by anyone else. In conversations that occurred on campus, a university may make their intentions know to a younger potential recruit, but nothing can be put on paper until the NLI date of his signing class (next November).

In the Carolinas, this has been very common with USC and occasionally with Clemson over the years. Lately, UNC has begun to actively seek out these under-classmen, probably in response to the agressive recruiting of USC in the area.

In Ben's defense, he wouldn't have made any commitment known unless there were verbal assurances given him on the side of UNC. The colleges in our area have a good track record of living up to their verbal commitments.
SoutherN1, lets see, for the '06 season UNC has 40 players on there roster with one being a senior. In '07 they're bringing in 15 new recruits and with 1 leaving that will bring there total roster to 54 players with only 7 of them being seniors. If they only bring in Ben the following year that will put there roster at 48. Doesn't the NCAA allow teams to have rosters of 35 players? Coach Fox will either have to red shirt 19 & 13 players each year or cut them. Granted there will be players lost for varies reason but everyone knows UNC, Clemson and USC play the numbers game, here today gone tomorrow. GO VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by smallball6355
The current, official, UNC roster lists 30 players:

UNC Roster

I responded earlier because Coach Fox and his staff have lived up to everything they have said to us since the first days of my son's recruitment; and, to the best of my knowledge, the same can be said of others there.

Over and above that, though, I'd like to express the strong hope that we not allow this or any other thread on this website to erode into a "we/they" shouting match driven by competitive biases. There are plenty (way too many, in my opinion) of places on the internet where that can be done with impunity; and this shouldn't be one of them.
BobbleheadDoll:

I believe there were 8 freshmen and 1 transfer (junior) who made up the recruited class that joined the team this year (Arrived 8/05). No players were added to the roster from the open tryout that was held in early September.

You see only one senior on this year's roster mainly for the following reasons:

(1) Class that arrived in 2002 was small.
(2) Four members of the class entering in 2002 (3 juniors and a red-shirt sophomore from last year's team) play professional baseball now.
(3) One member of the class that arrived in 2002 appears as a junior on this year's roster because he took a medical red-shirt in his sophomore year.

Hope that answers your questions.
Last edited by Prepster

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.