Skip to main content

I'm glad the wine bottle got opened in the previous post.....thank goodness for twist offs!
New to site but have been reading for a couple of years, actually stumbled on the site and am glad I did. Son is an 08 LHP who is really getting bummed with this whole recruiting process. He has sent the letters, the emails........but has not received the 1st phone call. Evals at Team One South were very positive, but still no calls. Limited pitching time at the WWBA 17U due to highly recruited pitchers on our team ahead of him (3 have verbally committed to Vandy). He has received invites to propect camps but probably nothing more than everyone receives who contacts a school. He has an invite to PG Southeast in September, however, that is yet another $600. I could have already paid for his 1st college year with the bucks that have been spent on travel team, etc. He is an excellent student with good ACT/SAT scores. Should we focus attention on the prospect camps at schools he is interested in or throw the $ to PG? He is really most interested in some schools in Va and NC.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This '08 mom likes beer (Bud Light or Corona), wine (a merlot usually), margaritas, etc, etc. NO wine coolers and no Jagermeister (or however you spell that)! I'm not sure its a left handed pitcher thing--Catcher #1 is right handed.

I know what you mean about throwing $$, I hope it all works out in the end. Catcher #1 wants to play college ball so badly.
Last edited by mom of 2 catchers
To all the youngin' and under age kiddos,...you need to leave the room and go give the cat a bath and sing " lalalalalalalaaaaaaaa" with your fingers in your ears, as to not hear what I am about to type.

I am a Corona with a fresh lime kinda gal,....complete light weight and wine party pooper. ( I fall asleep with the first three sips ).
I will admit, its hard to resist an icey cold salted margarita though,...especially after a hot intense baseball game. Goes great with a hot grilled dog or braut!

The recruiting process is sooo wild.( I too am an 08 mom )
Today I choose to throw my hands and all of these papers that are piling up on my desk up into the air. Must go outside and breath something other than baseball for a short moment. God knows I love it,..but sometimes its good to step off the rollercoaster and take a look around at the shops and vendors in the park. ( say it with me gals,..." I will not check my son's email,..I will not open another envelope for today! I will not write another check for anything related to baseball, today." )

Its been a wild summer, a busy summer, a great summer, and intense summer,...an expensive summer,...a hot summer, and this mom is plumb pooped.

School is about to start,...my hours at work will double,...volleyball tryouts, ...football 100 mph,...and pleeease,...please dont even thinnk about bringing in those catalogs from the mail with neurotic gleeming snowmen in Santa Clause outfits impatiently snarling smiling back at me. ( Only 4 & 1/2 months til Christmas gals,........eeeeek!!!) Stress stress,..pant pant!!

My 13 year old daughter keeps giving gentle hints about hoping to go back to school clothes shopping. What? I bought her tournament team t-shirts from Oklahoma, Omaha, Guthrie, Iowa, etc.
Wont that suffice?..........deep sigh,....probably not. Its Junior high, ya know. Roll Eyes ( eyes rolling in the back of my head. )

For every person telling us to be patient about this signing process,... there are three news stories of who has committed. Up and down we goooooooo, where we'll end up know one knows.

For today,..I think I will stay away from it all. I will have a quiet day with a good book,..and perhaps a nice walk with my daughter,....and feed the ducks at the lake. Today I will breath in and out slowly, and will realize that its ok to take a break once in a while.

The sun will come up tomorrow.

To all the 08 baseball mom's out there,..no matter what your drinking fancy,..I say CHEEERS!!!
Lord knows, we deserve it!
Last edited by shortstopmom
Great idea... I'm going to take time to breath... right after I audit the new test procedures out in the lab to ensure they'll be in compliance when the outside auditors come at the end of the month to torture me for 4 consecutive days... and I promised my boss I'd get him a report on the corrective action activities of all of our suppliers and set up the templates for Monday's metrics. I have to get it all done by tomorrow because on Thursday son and I will drive from NH over to Binghamton, NY, to meet TR (well, okay, son will pitch in the showcase, too), then back to NH on Friday night so we can drive to Maine on Saturday for my parents 50th anniversary (met on a blind date, married 6 months later, and still together), then back to NH to pick up our new puppy on Sunday. He is soooo cute. Little black cockapoo (1/2 cocker spaniel, 1/2 poodle). Named him Slider (after the pitch, of course). Deep breath... innn...outtt... Am finding quiet moments late in the evening for tea and cookies are proving to be very relaxing. *sigh* Wonder how many times the new puppy will pee on my beautiful wide, pine floors? Wonder if the mechanic will ever be able to figure out why son's car keeps overheating? Wonder why hubby feels the need to spend hundreds of dollars to add dirt to the backyard? Is that a guy thing? When I was a kid, we didn't pay for dirt. Wonder what I should put in my tea so that I stop wondering.... Oh the joys of being a mom.
Ohhh thank God I am not alone.
( was afraid that last post of mine was starting to sound a tad wee bit looney. )

Say it with me KmomNH,...breeeeath in,...breath out.
Ahhh yes,..we must center ourselves as one with the universe,....ohhhhmmmmmmmmm.

( or we could just take the easy way out, .....spike our tea, and ignore the $$$$ being spent on dirt for the back yard! )
Yeah,..I think the dirt thing pretty much fits in the " man-only " category.

God love em'! Wink
( cause ya cant shoot em'!- ha!....Isn't that what FBMom use to say?? )

Please share pics of the new puppy!!!!
Great name!!!

Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
So much to do...so little time. I miss that feeling. I miss the excitement of life-changing decisions resting on my shoulders. I miss running to the ball field from work and home agin to make dinner. I miss the recruiting hoopla and the conversations with recruiters and scouts. But most of all...I just miss my son. We did everything right. So far, seem to have made all the right decisions. Had a great Freshman year and summer in New England. Doesn't get any better than that???? While my heart beats with pride and joy for my son's maturity and direction. While I wouldn't change a thing, I drink my Chardonnay alone and pine for the excitement of son-oriented stress. SO, my point is, ENJOY IT ALL!!!
quote:
ENJOY IT ALL!!!

...point well taken puma1. No complaining, just workin' out the stress amongst other mom's who have been there and who are going through it. Making sure that those coming behind us are not blind sided when it is their turn.

Us gals as a gender, are big multi-taskers,...and sometimes its comforting to know that we are not alone & are not losing our minds. Its also reassuring to have someone say its ok to take a break, its ok to breath outside the box, and its ok to make mistakes.
Sometimes I think us gals are too hard on ourselves when it comes to us meeting everyone's, including our own, expectations. We are certainly capable, but I think its ok to say/vent, " Hey,..I'm stressin out here! Plllleeease passs the Ding-Dongs!!! " to another mom. ( tee-hee)

While I am quite grateful for the stress ( its good to be alive!) I will also admit it feels comforting to know that other mom's are right in the same boat and they too might feel like they are drowning, yet they are managing to staying a float. Perhaps knowing that, makes me feel like all my frantic, ugly, dog paddling will eventually get me somewhere! ( other than at the bottom of the ocean with the whale poop!)

I am also quite grateful for all you gals!! Smile
Its very nice to know I am not alone on this wild ride.
Its nice to know that others can relate.
And even to those of you are much more capable & successful about handling the stress better than I ,...you are supportive and understanding. For that, I sincerely thank you!

Repeat after me: " I love this stress! I love this stress! HSBBW mom's unite and we shall get through all the wild bumps together!!"

P.S. Puma1,..its kind of like complaining that we had to change a million of our young children's diapers and had to tie their shoes for them,..and then one day poof,..they are all grown up and driving themselves down the street in a car. cry

I get your point,..I really do.
What would baseball moms do without stress? Stress when they hit well, stress when they are pitching, stressed out when they are going through a slump, stressed out when they make an error, stress waiting for that college coach to call, etc.

I'm a year later than you 08 moms - I'm stressing out now that my son is leaving a week from tomorrow to go to college (and play ball) out-of-state and I won't be able to see him very often! As I read past threads, I know we'll live through it - but I'm getting really, really sad. cry He's on cloud nine and can't wait! angel I do have the "college corner" in the dining room with all his stuff.

Pass the ding-dongs this way!

08 Moms - Hope you can have fun with your son's senior year - it does go by fast!
Last edited by curveball07
As I sit here drinking coffee at this quite hour of my day, I am thankful to know that there are many 08's who are stressing out there with me. I am going to take the advice of many and "breathe in - breathe out" and relax for a little bit. After the football scrimmage for 1 and before the swimming meet for another, I will find time to sit down with the stressed out 08 and make plans for a couple more camps/showcases/visits. I will encourage him to stay positive and focused (on this recruiting ride as well as his schoolwork).
To the 07's - I've been there too (twice! already). The sadness of them leaving is quickly replaced by their excitement of the new school, new friends, new everything that comes with college. The empty spot at the dinner table gets replaced with phone calls, emails.....but, this too is a journey that you can enjoy (after the initial shock). Just wait till the laundry comes home!
Thanks, ladies (and TR) for your support!
Here are somethings that I found in the recruiting forum. I thought would be of help

Some thoughts from a parent who went through the recruiting process.

Despite what many think, by this time during son's summer season, he had one offer. Many calls, but one offer. He actually didn't receive his offer to Clemson until early september and to UF by mid september.

I know the recruiting pace has become faster. A coach seeing a player for the first time most likely is not going to offer on the spot. If he did and you accepted I don't think that is in everyone's best interest. I know that Sully followed Dave around that summer, but no offer was given until he got to campus. We were only told what they usually offer to out of state pitchers.

Some of you who are starting to panic, keep in mind, many early offers happen because the players have most likely visited unofficially, been seen at showcases, camps, have established relationships. This is what this period of the recruiting process is about, establishing relationships and trust between coach and player/parent.

My only suggestion would be if someone is showing interest, then go visit, let them know you are interested too, it works both ways.

Hope that this helps to releive some of the stress.

GO CARDS!

Posts: 5506 | Location: South Florida | Registered: July 28, 2003

brod
Posted August 07, 2007 02:13 PM Hide Post
Good advice...I just want to add...

As a parent of a player who got 4 good offers in the Spring, don't forget that can happen too. Most important is to be positive around your son, have him keep his grades up, get a good SAT score, and have make sure he has fun playing his Senior year, and you have fun watching him play.
Posts: 178 | Location: Alameda, California | Registered: April 21, 2006

Ignored post by brod posted August 07, 2007 02:13 PM Show Post

LHPDAD

Posted August 09, 2007 11:38 AM Hide Post
Both are great advise thanks from an 08 Dad.
I think to many times we hear way to much about early commitments, and whose going where.
I am not taking anything away from the young athlete that gets that opportunity. But I think it maybe the exception not necessarily the rule. (First time so not real sure about that last statement)

TPM is correct it is about relationship building, understanding what you want to accomplish.

It is marketing, branding yourself.

My son and I have learned so mush these past past few months. It is exciting, fun, difficult at times.

To many times we let our self talk get the best of us.

But all in all it is a great time in a young athletes life.

Good luck to all remaining 07, and 08's
Stay positive, work hard academically and athletically

The pitcher has to find out if the hitter is timid. And if the hitter is timid, he has to remind the hitter he's timid. ~Don Drysdale, quoted in New York Times, 9 July 1979
This 07 Mom prefers Coors plain and simple..never understood "light" beer. Right handed pitcher son but he hits lefty..go figure.

For those 08's who haven't gotten the call yet...I well remember this time last year sort of fantasizing about what it would be like for son to get the call...it didn't come until November. The wait was well worth it. I just didn't realize how quickly the time after went..there was celebrating but it was brief as baseball started soon after. And then proms and then graduation and then he was off to play baseball in Ohio for the summer. And now he's back (briefly..his band had a tour in Seattle for a week) and in less than a week he's leaving for college. I'm going to have that empty spot at the dinner table (we are "dinner is sacred" family..so it's really going to be noticeable). 14 year old daughter starts high school and the even more fun world of high school girls basketball...talk about stress?? Hoops does me in way more than baseball..not sure why.

Good luck to you 08's...give your boys a pat on the head the next time they dash by to go out somewhrere
I wish all you ladies were on my son's teams over the years! Nothing better than a beer at a baseball game. We have a Minor AA team 20 minutes from us and its dollar beer night on "Thirsty Thursdays," and boy everyone was thirsy last night in the 95 degree heat.

For all you 08 moms, hang in there. Being a 07 mom, I have to say the recruiting process involved every emotion I possess. It was exciting, overwhelming, worrisome, thrilling, anxious and tiring all at the same time. We finally committed in December and it was the most fulfilling day for many reasons. Don't think for one minute that just because your son did not commit in July that things are still not happening. There are far too many factors in every commitment to understand the rhymn or reason and recruiting is still going on at this point for many teams. My son's 2007-2008 college roster has change twice this week.

Enjoy your senior year no matter what comes your way. You have had the chance to know everyone on the team, their families, the coaches and their families, the girlfriends and friends. You get to be a part of everything with your son. I will only get bits and pieces of that with my college player. Although it is a trying time for many, I would do it all over again.

Hey, it's almost beerthirty!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.