Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by CPLZ:
Florida signed 16 players to NLI's. Sounds like a lot, but I'm not sure what their needs are.

Florida Signs 16 for 09

What other schools had large recruiting classes?

Only 33 on this years roster, 5 seniors and juniors expected to be drafted. Some of those signees won't set foot on campus. He's been doing this for quite a number a years and hasn't had more arrive than needed.
O'Sullivan became recruiting coordinator at Clemson after Tim Corbin left, I beleive in 2001 or 2002.
Most HC's don't do the actual recruiting at large programs, they pay others to do that. The recruiting coaches bring the signees according to what the HC feels he needs and the HC make the scholarships offers. Also those with the designation of Associate Head Coach means they take on many of the HC's responsibilities. This is something that HC Jack Leggett does often, one of the reasons his coaching tree is so large. Also where son went to play, and most programs only bring in the fall what they need in the spring and always have, even before the new roster limits. It's called honesty in recruiting. As HC he still has taken over the responsibility of recruiting and pitching coach.

It's pretty hard to make assumptions about large signing classes unless you know what a program needs will be next year or the following. I don't take it personally, but the thing is that we really have no clue about recruiting and working the numbers to get it just right. Yes there have been some that do it every year and still bring in more than they need in the fall.

I think that PG can attest to the fact that no one works as hard, looks as hard to find the right recruits than he does. The man is endless and non stop.
Last edited by TPM
Several of your incoming guys you already know your going to lose to the draft. If you dont its a surprise. You may lose one or two to the draft that have a big sr year and just blow up at the right time. Then you have your current players that you know you will lose to the draft. Then you have current players that have tremendous Jr years and they too are drafted and you lose them. Factor in the loss of a couple of kids due to grades , discipline , unhappy with playing time , injuries etc etc. Then you know your going to lose your current sr's. It does not take very long to see a whole lot of empty lockers guys. These coaches do their homework. They already know who is going to sign if they get drafted. They have a good idea how many spots they are actually going to have to fill. And of course there is always the unexpected that seems to always happen.

You can bet no one wants to get left short and no one wants to have too many guys either. No one wants to be left with the tag as the school that over recruits because this is getting out there and coaches do not want to be that program. So I am sure they have a good idea of what they need , what they might need and what they hope happens. Somewhere along the line someone is going to be the unlucky dude. There is no way it can never happen because you can not see the future.

You can bet these coaches are in a much better posistion to know what they need to do than any of us are. If you do not trust the coach to do the right thing then you dont need to be wondering if this is a school for you or not. If you dont trust the coach then go somewhere where you do. At some point and time you have to trust. If you cant trust the guy your playing for or going to play for then thats a serious issue isnt it?
I have to agree with Coach May, that was a very good post. These guys know a lot more than we do, I have learned that over the years.
You do have to trust the person who is recruiting you, if you get bad vibes, then don't sign. A good question to ask during recruiting, may be how many do you expect to sign at the position and how many do you expect to lose?
We never thought once about over recruiting and many of the schools recruiting son did at that time, 40-45 man rosters. It never bothered him or us, as he was confident in himself that he would earn a starting position. If you have to think twice about it or have doubt, maybe you are not confidant that your son is capable of playing that level for that program.

JMO.
History has shown us that we can't paint all coaches with a broad brush. All coaches aren't good/bad, honest/dishonest, easy/hard, fair/unfair.

Some schools do have a history of over recruiting. In this new era of roster size and scholarship limitations, it will be interesting if those same coaches continue in that tradition or even have new ones emerge.

You can bet that many of the coaches who in the past had less than reputable recruting practices weren't sending out "bad vibes" or mistrust. If they were, they wouldn't be able to convince so many young men to come to their schools.
Last edited by CPLZ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.