Skip to main content

Hello everyone I was just wondering what conditioning and strength program is available for an 11 year old pitcher to increase velocity and strength this off season in the winter... Btw we live in new York where it is cold... I was adviced to use jaeger long toss every other day, sits ups, squats... Also is it ok to throw in this weather?.. 30 to 50ish?... All the help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This program has made him stronger and more conditioned to the strain of being a pitcher. He has always worked on being mechanicaly solid. I am not sure that I can say that this has increased his velocity but, I am confident that this program has helped to keep him injury free over the last 6 years. Others may have a different view of the program.
Jaeger program is great we use and it helps and I have just talked to some other coaches who I had passed it on to and it helped them immensely. Doyle is right you can do a lot of core work and med. ball stuff you son needs to become an athlete. I do not mean that to be rude and I would think Doyle would agree a lot of the core and med. ball work is design to make you son more athletic in all facets of sports. Also as long as you can stand the cold it would be ok to throw outside.
quote:
Originally posted by jason145:
what are some good core workouts for an eleven year old thought sit ups and push ups were good but i am hearing otherwise help?

The 52 week baseball training manuel has some very good exercises. Gene Coleman is the aurthor.

It has a whole chapter on core, 40 pages of exercises, very comprehensive. Just remember he's 11.
Planks, planks, planks, planks...

There are soo many diff types he can do w many different variations. Beryy Lovelace has some great core exercises that I've 'borrowed' and used with my team. For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=517K_yM5nhs&feature=channel_page

I'll tell you the part that most people ignore is back extensions. You have to make sure not to over train the front and then neglect your back. Hope this helps!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.