Skip to main content

It is true, my son died at the plate 4 times this week-end in a 4 game Tournament. In fact, our whole Team was killed with the off-speed.

We just moved to 12U and for the first time are seeing good fastballs mixed with quality off-speed stuff. I am looking for tips and drills to help them stay back and wait.

Any good suggestions?

GY
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think the first thing to establish is pitch recognition, and that only comes with time and experience. You can throw them breaking balls and offspeed stuff in BP but I've always had a very hard time duplicating a 12 YO curveball.
Most importantly, at that age it is very rare indeed to find a kid who can throw the breaking ball for a strike more than once in a blue moon. Teach your kids to recognize the pitch and to lay off the offspeed and breaking stuff with less than 2 strikes.
Even with HS aged players, sitting on fastballs will improve any hitter.
Off speed works great for the "killing of batters" because kids don't load and stride to balance early enough. They must learn to separate the stride from the launch by a moment in time. Most don't get their hands back by shoulder rotation so when their foot finally gets down they have nothing to hit with and they continue to drift forward seeking some tension/torque.

The lead elbow must be behind the belly button at toe touch. If you have filmed him he would have been 0 for 4 on that criteria.I don't have to see the game to know that.

Easy fix..use a Hands Back Hitter www.swingbuster.com that is why it was built. It has helped a lot of kids learn and Dads teach torque which is creating and maintaining the shoulder load until toe touch. There IS more to hitting but until they learn this the rest has little relevance
Last edited by swingbuster
goingyard,

rbinaz is on the money. You must first teach them to recognize the pitch. Many times a kids hands are not fast enough to wait until the pitch is recognized. I think there are several things that need to happen:

-develop their bat speed, so they can wait a bit longer and give them the time to recognize the pitch.

-train them to recognize the pitch by watching the seams, which will be a giveaway at that age. I use a CB machine and have them stand in the box with their glove and reach out to catch the ball. This helps them recognize the seams and the flight of the ball. They have more time to watch the pitch through all the stages of the break.

-lastly, train them what are the most likely counts that pitchers throw CB's/FB's. As was atated in this thread, 12 yr. olds are not going to throw the CB accurately a high percentage of the time and CU's at that age are usually telegraphed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.