Skip to main content

I have been watching llws and some of the kids have been throwing the curveball wrong because they turn there wrist im the same age(12 yo).i feel i throw mine right i dont turn my wrist i throw my curveball like a karate chop straight down ive been throwing it since i was 11 it doesnt hurt me at all, am i throwing it right.
- "Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth"." - Roberto Clemente
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I totally agree, no earlier than 14. Do you want to be a great 12yo pithcer, or do you want to be a great HS or beyond pitcher. Why take the risk.

I have met 2 scouts that don't even scout pitchers, they scout outfielders with the strongest arms. They would rather teach them how to pitch themselves. Now I know this is the exception more than the rule, but still a thought provoker (if that is a word) Smile.
It seems strange to me how most coaches I talk to face-to-face are always able to justify 11 & 12 y/o throwing curveballs if thrown properly. Not only do they justify it, but almost require it to be thrown by these kids (albeit in "moderation").

Yet almost everyone that posts on the internet (not just here, either), are vehemently opposed to any kind of breaking ball before the age of 16 or so.

Not to imply that anyone here is that way, but I think there are a good percentage of folks who are NOT concerned with kids arms, but like people to think they are.
You misunderstand....
I agree that curveballs hurt kids arms, and I am all for some sort of league legislation to curtail their use (for whatever league kids participate in).

What I am saying is that there are coaches out there that practice one thing,m then preach another under the auspices of the internet's anonymity. Additionally I was not referring to anyone on this particular board. I have just been to many little league, pony, USSSA, triplecrown, etc.. events (that I am sure you and many others on this board have been to as well), and I was commenting on the contradiction that 90%+ of 11 & 12 y/o pitchers I have seen offer up a curveball or some variation thereof, while at the same time, I see virtually nobody posting or commenting on the internet that this practice is OK.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.