Skip to main content

My son just finished an evaluation camp that was geared toward incoming freshman to seniors. He is only 14 and not on the big side but makes up for his mechanics and drive on the field. He participated which was open to all incoming freshman and above to see where they stand. He was the only incoming freshman and the the rest (20 or so) were Seniors.

It involved lectures, skills test (combine) and actual game playing to see how they look. When it was over after 2 days and almost 18 hours. His results were as follows:

Here is the D-1 School Rating system:

GRADING SCALE:

1-Below Average Tool
2-Average Tool
3-Above Average Tool
4-Professional Tool
(+) above the # circled but slightly below the next #

To be considered D-1 here is their ratingS:

60 YD Dash Time: 7.0 -7.1
Avg of Gun Time: 84-86: Above Average: 87+
Ave Infield Time: 82-84: Above Average: 85+
Avg Catcher Time: 71-73: Above Avg 74+

Anyway keep in mind my son is 14.

His evaluation was compared to the Seniors so there were no Incoming Freshmen.

His 60 Yard Dash: 8.72 and 8.62 (He knows he needs to work on this.)
QUESTION: WHAT IS A GOOD TIME FOR THIS AGE. I DON'T NEED THE FASTEST TIME BUT A GOOD AVERAGE PLEASE.

Infield Gun Speed: 66, 63, 61 (They had 2 Professionals doing the gunning and it was NCAA Staff)
QUESTION: WHAT IS A GOOD SPEED. HE WAS TOLD THAT 65 WAS AVERAGE for his age. This is not pitching just from 3rd base.

Hitting Grade: 2 (Average Tool)
Hit for Power: 1+ (Between

Hitting Notes from the Head Coach:
"Really good approach to hitting. Get body coiled and ready to hit. Good Bat Path
"JUST NEEDS STRENGTH"

Defensive Action Grade: 2 (Average Tool)
Coach Notes: "Good Actions" "Needs to Get Stronger"

So any thoughts and answers will be greatly appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have 16 and 14 year olds. You can work on stregnth, some speed but only God knows how big you will be.

The difference between a prospect and thanks for coming out can be 3 inches, 3 tenths and 5 MPH. Ie 5'11", 7.3 and 82 vs 6'2, 7.0 and 87. Only time will tell if he gets there.

If he's working hard and taking care of himself I wouldn't create stress by comparing him to players 4 years ahead of him. He's got a couple of seasons until the summer of Sophmore to Junior year to get bigger, stronger and faster. By then you'll have some idea of what you've got.
First of all...welcome to the site. Looks like you've been around a while but just started posting. So, welcome!

I would agree with luv bb and say to be glad that the coach noted 'good actions' and - no surprise since he's 14 - he needs to get stronger.

At 14, mine was changing quickly.....his 60 time changed monthly it seemed and fluctuated because he was just really learning 'how' to run. He definitley will get faster. How MUCH faster....who knows? Same with strength.

It's normal to compare, and good to know where you are versus where you need to be. But, at 14, boys bodies are changing rapidly and I would focus on keeping it fun, learning the fundementals, and learning how to respect and play the game the right way.

The physical stuff ... speed and strength...will come along. they will also be plenty of time to work on these points, but for me, that's more junior/senior stuff vs. frosh/soph.

Finally, be careful not to rush things. These years will go by quickly enough. Enjoy them and good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. It is good to get honest opinions. What I found at the evaluation camp was that a few of the kids were quite shocked to learn they did not run or throw as fast as their Dad said or Coach said. It was a humbling experience.

The Coach at at this University said it happens often and it either makes the kid work harder. Our son will continue to grow. Thanks again.
Welcome to the next level. If I had a buck for every kid that threw 89-90 and was really a solid 84-85 I could pay my mortgage!

Bottom line is watches, scales and guns won't lie. Once your son fills out and if he's got the physical tools the next step will be to determine if he's got it between the ears. Then and only then will how he plays become a factor.

Actually I have found that the less I focus about what happens at 18 the more I enjoy 14, 15 and 16. It could be that's all I get. So I am soaking it up.

Then in about 10 years it'll be on to grand kids.
Make sure your son dates a Vollyball player. It'll help get that 6'5" ball player you've always wanted!
(Actually I have found that the less I focus about what happens at 18 the more I enjoy 14, 15 and 16. It could be that's all I get. So I am soaking it up.*

Truer words were never spoken. As the father of a son 1 month into 15, and in much the same boat, I am starting to learn that this journey for him is a marathon not a sprint. we have even gone so far as to cease the games for the rest of the summer to focus on speed agility and strngth.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.