Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As someone close to a catcher, I'm interested in the medical examiner's report. This has got to be a first, no? Trauma to the head is more plausible (even with a helmet), but a blow to the chest protector? I'm speechless. Catchers are trained to throw their chests in front of baseballs all the time. I feel for the parents. Very sad.
This is a very sad story indeed. I hope they release and report the follow-up to this, if anything else contributed to the accident. ie medical condition.
My son catches some on his summer team but plays IF on his HS team, and I fear more for the foul back rather than a pitch hitting him in the protector doing something like this......sad.
"But the circumstances of Thomas’ death — a sudden jolt to the heart by a speeding ball — have led medical experts to suspect that he died of commotio cordis. A sudden trauma to the chest can cause the heart to stop beating, and typically involves young male athletes."

This is what I suspected, but was reluctant to post until the MDs commented. If you do a search on this, it is a very rare occurring issue (and most typical in younger boys), but there is documented history behind it.

Again, our prayers go out to the family, and let us never take for granted the gift of life we have been given, no matter the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.