Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's very unusual for the Oakland A's to spend that kind of money on a draft pick.
And to spend it on a 16 year old.

I know one thing about the A's, They are loaded with pitching in there minor league system.
3 players from there farm system will be playing in the All-Star Future's game in NY.
1 a SS, Cliff Pennington.
and 2 are pitcher's both 20 year old's.
Trevor Cahill, and Brett Anderson.
Anderson's Dad is the Coach at Oklahoma St.

And they also have a pitcher by the name of Vincent Mazzaro.

There all very, very good.

EH
Obviously a very talented kid. As an A's fan, I'm hoping for the best.

But let me ask a naive(?) but capitalistic type question.

Why is it that 16-year old offshore players can negotiate with MLB clubs...essentially as free agents...yet American-born kids must wait an extra year or two (age-wise) and be subjected to the un-capitalistic draft?

Somethin' wrong here? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?
Just shows you how effective the draft is in keeping bonuses down -- since when the draft ends, the player is limited to pro vs. not pro, he cannot play 30 teams off against one another.

If this keeps up, MLB will likely institute a foreign player draft.

I do think the size of the bonus is interesting, since in the past one of the advantages of looking for talent in the Carribbean was the ability to sign lots of prospects, and really stock up your system, for low dollars. In the U.S., kids generally have bright futures (college ball, etc.) if they don't go pro at 18. In Latin America, many kids would jump at the chance to have a real glove, shoes, health insurance, and $20,000 in U.S. currency. It beats starving.

But this instance would indicate that perhaps some agents are becoming very effective at identifying the hot commodities down there and igniting a bidding war.
The draft certainly seems unamerican! Trapping potential employees into jobs with just one employer. I am sure glad accountants didn't drafted out of college as I am not sure what I would have done if picked by an North Dakota accounting firm.....

However, the draft can be a two way street.

I had read somewhere that some clubs intially didn't like the draft because it created an easily quantifiable expectation of certain size signing bonus for players. Some of the clubs felt they would end up paying more for players under the draft system. i.e. draft a kid in the 5th round he expects between 100-150k. If there's no draft maybe you can sign the same kid for 50k because he doesn't know that you value him as a "5th" rounder and you found him in March before other clubs/agents got wind of him and bid up his price....
Last edited by CollegeParentNoMore
With american HS players opting more and more to go to college, teams will continue to look for talented young players to develop in their system in different places. Teams are finding much success with dominican and latin american players. The object is to find the best and if they can't find it here, thet will go elsewhere.

If they paid him 20K, then MLB would look like the bad employer preying upon the poor and unfortunate.

I was under the impression that they liked the draft, this prevents the player from asking for way more than he's worth. But then I recently heard they didn't like it, because now they have to spread out their budget on 50 picks (though some decline after a certain round). It also opens up more opportunities for 1500 players a year vs. maybe half that amount.
Seems crazy to pay someone that much money at 16, are stipulations as to payments, anyone know for sure?
quote:
Somethin' wrong here? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?

I don't think that anyone of us is misunderstanding this. There is definately something wrong with the system. The great "American" sport as they call it seems to be drifting a bit. If you can't draft an Americam kid and pay him that much at that age then why should you be able to draft someone thats not an American? Doesn't make since to me either. There definately needs to be an age restriction and you really should need to graduate HS.
quote:
...teams will continue to look for talented young players to develop in their system in different places...

Do you think this will hurt the popularity of MLB with the masses in America? (I don't know the answer).

I know I'm less interested in NBA games (not that I ever was that interested) with the influx of European players...liked it much better when I recognized the full roster.

I know as I've aged, I spend much more time following players in all sports that I know from the local HS's or colleges.

Why doesn't MLB spend as much money re-introducing baseball to the inner cities? New fields, etc...

Thoughts?
Last edited by justbaseball
quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball:

Why doesn't MLB spend as much money re-introducing baseball to the inner cities? New fields, etc...

Thoughts?

Maybe because it just might be a nearly zero return on the investment!

Not might. It is.

-------------
It was interesting to find out how GM Beane
brought A's owner Lew Wolff to DR 'to see' the bucks.

What has been Beane's track record over the past five years with his #1 picks?
Last edited by Bear
Florida Fan - that's funny.

When my son was at IMG, we talked to some of the guys/coaches playing at the Pittsburgh spring practice facilities in the rookie league. Half the players didn't speak English and we were told that most of those get no signing bonus, just a plane ticket to USA, paycheck while here and a plane ticket back if they don't make it. They said it was a cheap way for the teams to find good players without investing much in them. I think this guy getting the big bucks is not the norm - at least not yet.
I have read sorry after story and I have yet to see any footage of this guy pitching. Is he really worth all that money? Don't get me wrong, I think its great to see him sign and obviously he must be very talented pitching wise but I would like to see him pitch before making any judgement on the young man. Why isn't he playing in the minors right now?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.