Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congrats to the Sox and especially 'cause now they'll leave the poor Bambino alone and stop all the whining biglaugh

The Babe never cursed anyone. he was just the victim of yet another moron owner, who traded him for cash.

And just to correct the record stated above, the Sultan of Swat ended his playing career with the Boston Braves and coached for the Dodgers. As much as the Babe wanted to stay in baseball he did not stoop as low as the Senators Wink
algae- the "curse" was of course just hype that built up over the years to mask the real reasons for the failures of the Sox -racisim and stupidity.

Ok before I'm annihilated here, I'm not trying to step on the current euphoria or current Sox team, fans or management, and I unhesitatingly congratulate the Sox and rooted for them to win.... but even Kevin Millar in a TV appearance yesterday jokingly made the comment that "Hey you know we've got a quota here".

On the stupid side, the Sox always paid homage to the Green Monster in selecting players. Ignoring that their best player ever was lefthanded, they always went for the big right handed mashers thinking that's all they needed, forgetting they play half their games on the road and that all their games needed pitching laugh

A few years back I remember the Sox acquiring Billy Ashley from the Dodgers most likely for no other reason than he was 6'7" and right handed. He struck out 11 times in 24 ABs for the Sox and was gone (lifetime he struck out 236 times in 618 ABs). He's just one of many. I think there's more to rumor that they tried to trade Williams for Dimaggio to get the right handed bat.

Anywho, the Sox bigger "curse" was their decades long attempt to stay lilly white. In '45 they had first chance at Jackie Robinson and passed. In '49 they had first chance at Willie Mays and passed. Can you imagine a lineup with Mays and Williams, 3/4 in the lineup righty and lefty combo- whoa.

The Sox were the last team to integrate and that was not until July of '59 (12 years after Jackie Robinson first played, 1 year before John F. Kennedy was elected for a little more historical perspective). That first African American player was Pumpsie Green, a player so bad that the '62 Mets later dumped him. Clearly the Sox tabbed Green in a perverse effort to show he (and his race) was no big deal.

By 1979, Jim Rice was the only player "of color" on the team. In 1991 there was only Ellis Burks. From 1959 to 1991 (33 seasons) only 33 African Americans donned the Sox uniform. I beleive Tommy Harper and 1 or 2 other players sued the team for racial discrimination.

To their credit, current management has acknowledged these past "ghosts" that have haunted the team and exorcised them. But in the past, it was always easier to blame the Bambino than to look in the mirror and face the truth.

Ok, so all you Sox fans out there, go easy on me now. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.