Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There isn't a suggested player to coach ratio. The team rosters the players it needs. Then the coaches do what needs to be done. My son's high school varsity had seventeen players. There were two coaches and a volunteer assistant pitching coach my son thought was useless (but a nice guy). The JV had two coaches. The freshman team had one and a volunteer. Every team had sixteen or seventeen players.

There is no way 2 guys can effectively "COACH" more than around 12 players, and that's pushing it.  But, the sad reality is that many, if not most, HS baseball programs (and travel teams) are understaffed.  That's one reason why many HS (and travel) coaches are more managers than true coaches. 

Not sure as to what the ratio of players to coaches should be, but, my son's freshman year at a Juco, here in Tampa, they carried way too many coaches. My son and other kids would have 5-6 different coaches giving advice, from 5-6 different points of view. This past season at a very good NAIA college , the staff consisted of Head , assistant Head, and pitching coach. They made it to the World Series. So, I would say if the coaches are getting the job done, less is better.

Varsity HS baseball needs about 2-3 coaches for a game. The dugout should be professional, and team captains should keep the players in-line. 

If your talking program, our school staggers V & JV workouts/practices. Every coach (except the Varsity HC) is at both sessions most of the time. So you have between 5-6 coaches for a practice. Varsity has 13-14 players. 

The converse is how many is too much. I love seeing travel teams with 6-7 coaches in the dugout. Not to mention the other 6 dads hanging around on the periphery so they can tell sonny why he can't hit. 

The school I coach at has 4 coaches for 2 teams. I'm a varsity assistant and often times I'll stay for JV games to be the bench coach while the JV HC and assistant will do the game management. The JV HC will do the bench coach duties for the Varsity games.

Practice time the V HC has the pitchers, JV HC has the infielders and some hitting, I have the catchers and some hitting, and the JV AC has the outfielders. This is with about 32 kids in the program.
Last year I was one of 4 coaches with our varsity.  I thought that was one too many.  Three seems to me the perfect number.  On game day that leaves two base coaches and a bench coach.  For practice it leaves a pitching coach, infield coach and outfield coach.  This year we are going to structure things a little differently and I am going to work with pitchers at all three levels.  We have a pitching problem (lack thereof) developing so we thought this might help if I can get down to lower levels also and try to develop while its ok for them to go through growing pains before they hit the varsity level.  This is also why I mentioned in another thread I am running a beat in the hallways looking for athletes who may want to give pitching  whirl.  Looking forward to this.  Hopefully it works out!
Originally Posted by soulslam55:

Varsity HS baseball needs about 2-3 coaches for a game. The dugout should be professional, and team captains should keep the players in-line. 

If your talking program, our school staggers V & JV workouts/practices. Every coach (except the Varsity HC) is at both sessions most of the time. So you have between 5-6 coaches for a practice. Varsity has 13-14 players. 

The converse is how many is too much. I love seeing travel teams with 6-7 coaches in the dugout. Not to mention the other 6 dads hanging around on the periphery so they can tell sonny why he can't hit. 

I too get a chuckle out of this.  However if you think about what is being taught sometimes it ceases to be funny and becomes very troublesome.  Just a few of the things my son has been told by travel 'coaches'...  don't crowd the plate cause you won't be able to hit the inside pitch (its pretty much common knowledge that.those who crowd the plate do so because they have no problem hitting the inside pitch OUT IN FRONT but they struggle with the pitch down and away).  Stay close to the base when on third - in other words don't take a walking lead.  Throw your hands at the ball to hit the outside pitch.  Release the ball 'over the top' with your arm at a 90 degree angle at release.  I could go on but you get the point.  I do not claim to be the best coach in the world far from it which is why I am always reading always researching.  But I must confess sometimes I take offense to these parent 'coaches' saying things like "let us coach and you cheer".  But the problem 'coach' is you are not a real coach who has spent his life doing this!!!

P.s. I have no problem stipulating that not all travel coaches are idiots and I am sure some take their role very seriously and do the homework that is necessary.
Originally Posted by jolietboy:
Originally Posted by soulslam55:

But I must confess sometimes I take offense to these parent 'coaches' saying things like "let us coach and you cheer".  But the problem 'coach' is you are not a real coach who has spent his life doing this!!!

P.s. I have no problem stipulating that not all travel coaches are idiots and I am sure some take their role very seriously and do the homework that is necessary.

Absolutely freaking bingo. 

And I love the fact that you guys are looking to develop pitchers at your lower levels.  All too many times I see varsity completely dump on the young kids.  The hidden gems end up quitting.  Today's freshman are your future seniors.   

I coach at a fairly competitive high school in a very good baseball area. I have been the head coach for the past 10 years with one assistant. We manage 18 varsity and 12 junior varsity players. We are very structured with our practice schedule and do one on ones before and after practice. It is also important that we have good leadership with our older players. They respect our tradition and want to see it continue in the future. So, they are a big part of working with our JV players. Also, we coach a junior high team that consists of 20 players.I can be done by two coaches, but it is difficult at times. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.