Skip to main content

Our scorekeeper says that if a pitcher comes in relief and pitches at least two innings, he gets a Save no matter what the score is. He is emphatic that this is the correct scoring and he is very knowledgeable about scoring rules. I have always understood that you get a Save only when the tying run is in the on-deck circle. If we are winning 15-0 and have a pitcher that comes in and throws the last two innings of a game, I don't believe he deserves a Save - am I wrong?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

To qualify for a save a pitcher must:
#1-finish a game his team wins.
#2-Face a batter with at least the potential tying run represented by the batter in the on-deck circle, or
#3-Pitch the last 3 full innings of the game "effectively", in the opinion of the Offical Scorer. Giving up 3 or 4 runs in a lopsided game may not be considered to be "effective" pitching, and depending upon the discretion of the Official Scorer, a save may or may not be awarded. This has caused more than a few disagreements between relief pitchers and scorers over the years.
A pitcher is credited with a Save if he meets the following criteria (OBR 10.20, FED 9-6-7, NCAA 10.26):

a) is not the winning pitcher, and

b) he is the pitcher when the final out of the game is recorded

and he meets one or more of the following:

a) pitches at least 3 "effective" innings, regardless of the score (non-effective pitching when your team is ahead by 20 runs might not earn you a save!)

b) pitches at least 1 inning when his team is leading by 3 runs or less at the time he enters the game

c) enters the game with potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck (i.e., the potential tying run is either on base or is one of the first two batters that he would face), regardless of the score, inning, and number of outs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.