Skip to main content

First of all, if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could find a high school baseball rule book I would appreciate it. I tried looking up the answer to my questions but couldn't locate a rule book.

I was at a local high school game the other night and two things happened that caught my eye.

The field had a very small backstop which allowed the fans to sit close to the field well within earshot of the players, coaches, and umpires. About halfway thorugh the game I realized that a group of students were heckling some of the visiting players. Some of the heckling was done using the players name, I didn't really think it was a big deal as this will most definitely occur at the next level of baseball. I was just wondering if fans are allowed to call players by name in a negative fashion like this.

Next question.

A player comes in to pitch and looks to have some type of wrist injury because he is wearing an ace bandage on his glove hand that is visible by about 5-6 inches below his glove. The opposing coach argues that the pitcher isnt allowed to pitch while wearing the bandage. I believe he was told that since it was due to a medical condition, the bandage was legal. I had never heard this before and was wondering if this a rule as well.

As always thanks for everyones knowledge and opinions.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by GSU_25:
First of all, if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could find a high school baseball rule book I would appreciate it. I tried looking up the answer to my questions but couldn't locate a rule book.

You won't be able to find one online. NFHS is very protective of its copyrights, which is funny, since no one in his/her right mind would use NFHS rules nor mechanics if he/she had a choice. If you really want one, contact your state HS governing body or a local umpire association.

quote:
The field had a very small backstop which allowed the fans to sit close to the field well within earshot of the players, coaches, and umpires. About halfway thorugh the game I realized that a group of students were heckling some of the visiting players. Some of the heckling was done using the players name, I didn't really think it was a big deal as this will most definitely occur at the next level of baseball. I was just wondering if fans are allowed to call players by name in a negative fashion like this.

There is nothing prohibiting this. If the occasion arises where they cross a line, such as insulting a player due to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc., or to the point where they are disruptive to game play, then the site management can be directed to remedy this.

quote:
A player comes in to pitch and looks to have some type of wrist injury because he is wearing an ace bandage on his glove hand that is visible by about 5-6 inches below his glove. The opposing coach argues that the pitcher isnt allowed to pitch while wearing the bandage. I believe he was told that since it was due to a medical condition, the bandage was legal. I had never heard this before and was wondering if this a rule as well.

Again, nothing prohibiting this on the glove hand unless, in the umpire's opinion, it is distracting. On the pitching hand, if it is either distracting or in a place where it can come in contact with the ball, it is illegal.
Last edited by Matt13

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.