Skip to main content

1. Anyone think two guys should be at every spot on a varsity team to create the most competition or have guys that move around thus creating competition at several spots with less guys?

2. Better to have a talented young kid do well on the jv level or bring the talented young player on varsity to compete for a spot and possibly play or sit the bench?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Passion4baseball:

1. Anyone think two guys should be at every spot on a varsity team to create the most competition or have guys that move around thus creating competition at several spots with less guys?

2. Better to have a talented young kid do well on the jv level or bring the talented young player on varsity to compete for a spot and possibly play or sit the bench?

1. Not necessarily... I'd rather have more pitching.
2. I'm gonna get hammered for this, but it's what I believe... I'd rather have a talented kid on Varsity because of all the better reps he'll get and the overall competitive culture he'll be exposed to... I've seen kids who were supposed to play JV get put up to Varsity, and see minimal play and still very happy they're not on JV... JV is like playing the game in slow-motion... I thought this was a great description one player told me...

It depends on your numbers and your specific personnel.  Competition is good.  Too many guys sitting most of the time, not so good.  For us, having guys on the bench that can compete and contribute at a few different positions usually works best.  They get more opportunities and starters are pushed.  Ideally, every starter has someone pushing him but that someone is also pushing at another position or two as well.  For example, we may have a decent fourth and fifth OF and those guys may each have other positions they could fill as well.  We may have a backup MIF and a backup corner IF.  We may have starters who can slide to different positions, depending on who is on the hill and/or which guy is coming off the bench to get innings.  If your P's are two-way, which so many in HS are, the field position they play is a big part of your equation.  You always need to be at least two deep in catchers.  If you don't have three, you should also have a bench player who is willing and able to serve as bullpen catcher.

I agree with Bolts both about the importance of pitching and about talented players getting reps with V, even if they get few game innings.  Not only are they getting better reps but they are usually the kids who are playing plenty of ball outside of the HS season.  Each situation is unique and must be evaluated on it's own set of circumstances.

Last edited by cabbagedad

1.  Not necessarily.  You certainly need depth, but many players play multiple positions, so typically you're going to put your best hitting lineup, even moving a player out of their natural/best position, particularly on the corners.  Also, given a baseball season is so short with so few games, the bulk of your internal competition is occurring during the fall and spring tryouts.  Once you've set your team, you give your starters as many reps together so to optimize game performance.  Of course, there's always the potential to get outplayed and lose your starting spot, but to state, point blank that I'd have two players for every position just for competition's sake is short sighted (IMHO).  As Bolts stated, you need to be heavier on pitching.

2.  I'd rather have the player on Varsity, but if they're not getting game reps, then they should play in some JV games to get the reps and stay game sharp.  I agree with Bolts on them being with the most talent, but I'm not a fan of a good player getting little to no game reps for a season.  To me the right call is to let them play in 30% -50% of the JV games and dress out with Varsity and play there when able.  Coach needs to just ensure that he doesn't violate game limit rules as I've seen happen before with swing players.

Our HS Program usually has 4 sophomores make varsity. The staff usually has back-ups for each positions. Often they'll have a third catcher who may also play jv games and will be the varsity bullpen catcher. To me, it doesn't make sense for a young pitcher to "make varsity" if he is not going to pitch. Varsity rosters can usually expand come playoffs (unless squad is maximum regular season). This is often a reward ("call-up") for a jv players who is getting reps and performing well. Our v coach would call up a  jv player too in an effort to light a fire under some under-performing varsity starters. If the team is a strong and talented V team then it may be good for the younger player to be on V and see the winning culture; he probably will see some P/T in blowout games as well.

With the assumption that most of the pitchers can be position players; you need at least 2 at each position. This allows for meaningful (i.e. competition) scrimmages. This is the only way you can truly create competition within the team and to give those that are not already playing an opportunity to show their stuff. My son's high school team (Freshman, JV & Varsity) always carried 22-25 players.

It is PLAY baseball; not watch baseball. You don't get better by not playing. This statement is also impacted by the number of players. If your varsity team only has 13-15 players; it might make sense for younger players to have an opportunity to compete at the varsity level. However, with programs that have depth, it is more important that kids play so that they are prepared to compete as they move through the program.

Last edited by ILVBB

My son worked out with the Varsity as a Freshman in the preseason, but played JV once the season started. This was really the best situation for him. He ended up starting every game, and hit over .450, while bench players on the Varsity team never saw the field.

Coach pulled him up in the post season not to play, just so he could experience the playoff atmosphere. My son was a little annoyed as is the kind of player who would rather not even attend a game unless he is playing, but I think it was a good experience for him. The pressure of the playoffs was apparent. Lots more ppl. Lots more noise. The whole feel of the game was different.

It's one thing if a kid is just doing it for the jersey. But if players are good enough to make the Varsity squad, they need reps to stay sharp and improve. I say only pull them up if they are going to play. Depth in different positions is good for competition and good in case of illness/injury. But again, if a kid is not going to play don't waste their time or talent.

Put the best nine (or ten if DHing) on the field regardless of position. Teach a kid a new position to get a good bat in the lineup.

Have the young kid compete for a spot on varsity. If he doesn't win a starting job send him down to JV. Call him up later if needed.

If you have 5 infielders then you have competition.  That 5th one may not be good enough to start but is good enough to play somewhere if one of the 4 starters can't get it done.  The question is if you have 8 infielders then can you play the second 4 enough to keep them happy to where they won't become cancers.

My rule is if I have a JV kid who is good enough to play varsity I won't bring him up unless I know he's going to get 70% playing time.  If it's below 70% then he needs to be playing 100% on JV.  I run my practices at the same time as much as possible so the JV kids get those good reps from my good coaches.

Parent of son who just finished freshman year, but similar question surfaced at fall travel practice talking with another parent.

1) One of the top HS's nationally is in my son's region here in Georgia. Their approach is 1st & 3rd string on Varsity, and 2nd string on JV to maximize playing time for top 2 at each position. Question surfaced b/c JV at this school was ~50% Juniors.

2) My son's situation.... both.  He did well on JV, and was brought up to Varsity after spring break and played enough to earn a letter. Great experience for him working with and competing against the older kids in both practice and games.

Agree with RJM - freshman teams have it tough with limited field time and not even on the totem pole 

1. Agree that you don't need two deep at every position.  Load up on pitching.

2. My son got an occasional "dress with the varsity" call up last year as a freshman.  Did not get to pitch.  Had some untimely rainouts.  He really probably would have rather stayed at home than go sit the bench during a varsity game.

One freshman was moved up permanently to the varsity where he ran bases and batted once.  Did not play anymore J.V.   My son would have detested that.  He hopes to pitch varsity once a week this year and play a position with the J.V. otherwise. 

Some guys like the honor of dressing varsity.  Others, like my son, would rather sit at home if not playing.

Last edited by Teaching Elder

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.