Skip to main content

Here is the scenario.  Rec 7/8 softball, runners on 1st and 2nd.  Hitter comes up and drives one to outfield.  Runner on second scores.  Runner on first halts at second, and eventually heads to third.  batter is running from the crack of the bat, and ends up catching the runner.  

At at one point, the runner who started on first and the batter are both touching third, but I don't think they ever passed each other.  Meanwhile, the ball was still being thrown in, and the 2 runners continued to home to score.

the umpires called the runner out, stating that when they were both touching third that this was the same as one runner being passed.

i can't say I know the rule for certain, but I wouldn't think an out would be called here.  Not that it would matter in this scenario, but if a runner would be called out, would it not be the batter?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Craig o:

Here is the scenario.  Rec 7/8 softball, runners on 1st and 2nd.  Hitter comes up and drives one to outfield.  Runner on second scores.  Runner on first halts at second, and eventually heads to third.  batter is running from the crack of the bat, and ends up catching the runner.  

At at one point, the runner who started on first and the batter are both touching third, but I don't think they ever passed each other.  Meanwhile, the ball was still being thrown in, and the 2 runners continued to home to score.

the umpires called the runner out, stating that when they were both touching third that this was the same as one runner being passed.

i can't say I know the rule for certain, but I wouldn't think an out would be called here.  Not that it would matter in this scenario, but if a runner would be called out, would it not be the batter?

That dog is sore.

In all baseball codes, not only is it not passing a runner for having multiple runners on a base, the penalty for passing a runner is that the runner who passes is out, not the one that got passed. I guess if you're going to screw up, you might as well go all the way.

Take it as you will. Who knows, maybe they got it right for softball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.