Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I Started a thread about this in the Tourny and Showcase part....

I will be there and some other members will be there. My team went to the World Series 2 years ago (I am the only remaining player since I was 16) and we are scheduled to play Bayside, Youth Service, and NY 9B. We played YS on our way to the WS last time and beat them twice. I know South Troy has a VERY good team, like always.

Who do you play for?
I'm a fan not a player but my son will be there with his team out of Dallas (LH Wildcats). They have made it to CMWS the last 2 years. They are looking forward to the trip and hopefully good weather. We have had nothing but rain for months in the Dallas area. The Wildcats did get out to play in the AABC West CMWS Qualifier last week in Phoenix. They were unfortunately eliminated by a good Arizona Firebirds team in bracket play who were the CMWS champions last year. The West competition was loaded, the weather very hot and the facilities unbelievable(Spring training for A's, & Giants also Arizona state). We are somewhat familar with the S. Troy Dodger oganization. We faced them last year and were fortunate to come out with a win. Good organization. What do you think about the other teams playing. It's a new year and everyone is hoping to play well. You must be with Clifton Park Yankees.
I know that Youth Service is a strong team, along with STD.

Lansingburg is down this year. I don't know about North Colonie cuz they dropped out of our league this year, but don't expect as good a game as you would with South Troy. I have been told Bayside is good, but have never played them.

I am on Clifton Park.

What position does you son play? What college?

Chris
Thanks for indulging my interest since I will probably not be there for this trip. Is there a website that will post the tournament results for those of us who can't make it. Or maybe even internet radiocast offered? The kids are excited about the tournament and going up to NY. We know it can't be 115 degrees there. Seriously that is what the teams in Phoenix were playing in last week and we even had some daytime doubleheaders. My kid is a LHP and will play JUCO next season a North Central Texas. He is actually starting his sophmore year of college this fall but is transferring from a D2. Wants to play in good D1 program.
He sounds like you in a way.... he is last kid remaining from the 2005 CMWS team. He has a young birthday so he was still eligible to play one last season with this team. The Florida Legends team in our pool is a new spin off of the Florida Bombers we saw last year at CMWS. They have some talent to watch.
Playball1,
the forecast is for high 70 low 80's. Should be some pretty nice weather as long as we don't get any rain. I just spent the weekend up there and the weather was 70 with high 40's at night. Very plasant but unseasonable.

There are some quality teams coming including Dallas, Florida Bombers, Bayside, LI Tigers and the others mentioned. I'll be there most of the week as my son is with the S Troy Dodgers younger team. My older son was in Farmington, NM last year with the Dodgers.
What I have on the pool teams are as follows:

Pool 1
S. Troy Dodgers A (G. Rogers)
LI Titans Blue
Conn Mustangs
Brunswick Buckeye

Pool 2
S. Troy Dodgers B (K. Rogers)
NY Nine (Millman)
LI Tigers A (Walker)
LI Tigers 08 B

Pool 3
Lansingburgh Royals
Buena Vista NJ
LI Tigers B
Fleminton Diamondjacks

Pool 4
N. Colonie Padres
Lake Highlands Wildcats (Dallas, Tx)
Dallas Barracudas
Florida Legends

Pool 5
Clifton Park Yankees
Brooklyn Youth Services
Bayside Yankees
NY NineB
Thanks. The format sounds like it will be the winner of each pool plus 1 wildcard team to make up a 6 team bracket team format.

I wish they were playing a 10 team bracket format like the AABC West regional did in Phoenix(top 2 pool teams advanced).

It made it very exciting because 4 out of the 5 pool winners actually lost in the first round of bracket play because of the depth of talented teams represented in a 10 team format.
I do know 10 team format is more to manage as a tournament but with high quality teams traveling this far for a National Qualifier for CMWS a 10 team format is better. Winning a tournament is tough enough anyway but to have to win your Pool outright to even advance to brackets requires as much luck as skill. Thats a lot of pressure on kids to play perfect ball. In some of the deeper pools it will be 1 loss and done for even good teams and thats too bad. I can't believe the pool draw has all the South teams in the same pool. That's really odd?????????????????? I wonder how the wildcard team will be determined?
Last edited by PlayBall1
I was just reading over the tournament information and you are correct. The 5 bracket winners and 1 wild card advance into a double-elimination tournament. This was the same as last year and I firmly believe the 2 best teams were in the final and the best team Trombly Braves won the event over S Troy. A few weeks later both teams were in New Mexico.

I also didn't realize that some teams travel to numerous qualifiers in different parts of the country to win a bid. I think it's kinda of fun/interesting that teams from Tx, Fl, Ca come up here to the Northeast looking to qualify. It's great baseball.
Thanks for scores update. There has to be a website somewhere?
I heard it was raining a bit there and might postpone play. What irony......today it was mostly clear in Dallas for fireworks tonight after almost 3 months of rain. Halfway through the year and we have already exceeded all last years rainfall!
Hopefully the weather up there will improve and allow play. My kids team LH Wildcats did get a win earlier today and they headed to Cooperstown. They said BHOF was awesome! Glad they are able to do some other things besides baseball too.
The local newspaper had the scores listed in it today. I don't see them online but am attaching a link to the article:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=603400

You might check tomorrow for a similar article.

Our team finally got a victory today 9-4 over the Long Island Titans Blue. We finished 1-2 overall but could have been 2-1 if we scored some runs in the first game. I am pretty sure that South Troy won our Pool. It was hard to keep track of other games since each pool played at a different location.

Good luck to all the remaining teams and players.
Last edited by EaglesDad
EaglesDad,
Thanks so much for the info and previous posts!!!
I am glad your team got a win to close out pool play. Good luck with your remaining summer ball schedule.

My sons team managed to score enough runs to win some games and advance which is nice since they have traveled that far. It's play and pray baseball from here on out.
You know how baseball is?

I will check the paper again tomarrow and see if I can get the bracket info. I have heard the kids have enjoyed themselves in Troy but are hoping the weather will dry out.
Last edited by PlayBall1
I play for the New York Nine Showcase Team (NY9B as it was entered in the tournament). We ended up finishing 2-1 overall but unfortunately did not advance because we lost to Bayside, who finished 1st in our bracket, and we apparently gave up too many runs to qualify as the wildcard.

We thought the facilities were very nice and the competition was excellent. Being a 17u team, we feel great about playing against top notch competition like we did. Our bracket was the Clifton Park Yankees, the Bayside Senior Americans and Youth Service 18s. Good luck to those who moved on and good luck in New Mexico to the team who wins it all.
Last edited by J H
Thanks Coach. It's really good to hear the tournament is getting good exposure for the boys who are still looking to play college ball.

You never know about that.
At certain times of the year even our 18u Premier BBI league play has been good enough to get a few scouts out to regular games. Depends on the game matchup.

We are hoping still that our AABC Regional will get rescheduled soon (rain rain rain). Many lakes in North Texas are now 20 feet above normal. Unreal..........you have to leave the state to play in July? Praying it will quit soon.
Last edited by PlayBall1
Thanks Coach for update. Florida is a really loaded team. We beat them in pool play with good pitching from Brent Powers who will play at Sam Houston State next year. He threw a 4 hitter against Florida in LH 6-3 win. Brent also threw a 1 hitter against S. Troy last year to get a 4-0 win at Farmington. Quality kid with a good upside. Watch for him in the future. Too bad we had to use him just to get out of our Pool play. It would have been nice to had him in bracket play. Thanks for your posts.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.