Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

WOW....Jdub....you are really anxious!!!!

I am a Stone Bridge fan....I will give you a couple of comments about them right now and add some Dulles and Loudoun Valley comments later.

The baseball class of 2007 at SB is thin. There are only 2 returning seniors on the team, Chris Martinez(1B) and Cullen Koppens(RP). While there certainly could be some surprises, I am not aware of any other SRs planning on trying out.

Going into the 07 season, the big ? for the Bulldogs is pitching. The 3 guys that soaked up major innings last season (Shugars, Dzurilla, Mazur) have all graduated. Some guys are definitely going to have to pick up the slack on the mound for SB to have a chance in the Liberty this year.

The team will be a Junior heavy team with the likes of returning varsity players Gouveia, Stancik, Wheaton, Pearson and Irwin having to pick up a big load. Add to that list juniors Guyer, Basso, Weaver and Yost. What does that mean? Check the numbers out, some Sophomores will also have to step up to the varsity level and make some significant contributions.

IMHO, it is WAY too early to tell who those guys might be.

More to come on the other Dulles schools and LV......
Koppens has as good a chance as any player.
He saw very limited action, due to the pitchers I mentioned earlier. For anyone that has been around Coach Plank...you know he plays guys who are performing, and sits those who don't......

From what I remember of Koppens last season, he needs to focus on two things:
1) Hard work in the off-season, building velocity and endurance.
2) I don't have stats, but if I recall correctly, Cullen will need to work on his K/BB ratio. Better control, that will probably improve with more off-season work and getting innings in game situations.

As far as pitching goes, I also liked what I saw in Fialdini (Soph) and Basso (Jr).
LV- Two VERY solid players in Trevor Ikwild and Charlie Sperduto. I am not familiar with all the National District teams, so I don't know how they will fare come post-season.

Broad Run- Lost Mullee. Who will be their SS? Diviney, Meier, Shain and Hershey come to my mind as contributors.

Heritage- Big loss on Van Dusseldorp. I have seen Joey Donofrio play since he was 11. I love watching him play the OF.

LC- Big Ben Brawley gone (I think). Who is going to replace him?

Park View- Irish, Smith are 2 guys who will contribute.

Way too early to make a call on Dulles District. I will make some comments here in early March right before the season starts.

If you play on a team in Loudoun, I wish you the best!!!
Shugars-Attending Frederick (JUCO), I think. It is my understanding he will be playing next spring.

Dzurilla- Attending East Carolina. Walked on. It is my understanding that he was one of the last cuts this fall. I have been told by my son he will probably transfer next year(to where, I don't know).

Mazur- Attending VA Tech. It is my understanding that he is no longer playing baseball.
Last edited by jbbaseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.