Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know of at least one 2008 who has already received an offer from a school you would consider one of the perennial national contenders. But he's going to wait a while to see how things sort out, and that I think is a wise approach.

Many schools are already in the talking stages with 2008's, but even with them you won't see "handshake" offers made until April or May at the earliest. And those will be only for those they consider their "no brainer" recruits -- guys they know they would want under any circumstances. That means pitchers have the advantage since you can never have enough pitching.

But as you can see by following the discussions on this site, lots of seniors have to wait into spring and beyond, so most 2008 hopefuls still have another 17 months or so to go!
quote:
But he's going to wait a while to see how things sort out, and that I think is a wise approach.

Yes, I do too. I hope he can hold off the pressure he might receive to commit very early...many others have been unable.

An interesting article about this here:

Early Verbals

I talked to Blaine a little about this article...the part it doesn't fully address is pressure being exerted on the players to super-early-commit. Several in our area have done that (couple of 2007's last year and now a very primo 2008). I don't see any reason for a top 2008 recruit to commit so very early (i.e. now) to any school...even his dream school. He will get there anyways.
Last edited by justbaseball
Redhead-
The July 1 date you are referring to is when coaches can make direct contact (initiate contact) with prospective student athletes.

As justbaseball mentioned, if the player initiates the contact with the school/coach, an offer (theoretically) can be extended at any time.

But the acceptance can only be a verbal commitment until the actual early signing period.
Roseanne - My thought is that as they identify more 2008 prospects, letters will be sent.

But many schools will still be focusing on shoring up their 2007 class in the Spring.

Our situation may have been different than the norm...I don't know. But the hot-and-heavy stuff started just after the college season ended at the end of our son's junior season.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.