Skip to main content

Gentleman,

I wanted to give you guys some information about a benefit tournament that we are having at South Grand Prairie in November. In 2002, former SGP center fielder Matt Dozier was paralyzed in an accident. Every Fall since, SGP has held a benefit tournament with all of the proceeds going to Matt and his family. All workers including umpires, concession, and field maintenance have volunteered their time and efforts to make this happen. Each year several high profile select teams, along with high school teams, participate in the 3-day tournament.

We would love to have your teams play in the tournament this year. The dates are set for November 14-16. The registration is $350 per team (100% goes to Matt). Let me know what you can get together. Please feel free to pass this along to other coaches.

Last year we were able to have a 16-team Varsity division and 8-team JV division. K9 Sports defeated Colleyville in the varsity championship last year.

Obviously we would like to be able to have as many teams as possible. Last year we used 4 fields (Northwood University, SGPHS, GPHS, Apache Field) but would love to be able to expand.

I want to say that last year's tournament raised over $15,000 in donations. Whatever the exact total was, it was the highest that this tournament has ever raised for Matt.

Thanks,

Paul Ylda - paul.ylda@gpisd.org
SGP Baseball
SGPBaseball.net
www.sgpbaseball.net
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have added a menu to our SGP Baseball website (sgpbaseball.net) for the tournament. It includes a list of teams that have already committed to the tournament. Any team that played last year needs to contact me ASAP because spots are filling quick. We would like to accommodate any returning teams first for their continued support.

Thanks.
We have one spot left for both divisions in this year's tournament.

Varsity Division:

SGP
Mesquite Poteet HS
Texas Dukes 18U
Frisco Liberty HS
Irving MacArthur HS
SC Spikes 18U
K9 Sports
Aztecs
Birdville HS
Dallas Patriots 18U
Cedar Hill HS
Irving HS
Wylie HS
Dallas Yankees 16U
Grapevine HS

JV Division:

SGP JV
Gamblers
Texas Dukes 16U
Frisco Liberty HS
Brock HS
Apaches 16U
Midlothian Extreme
Varsity Schedule - November 15, 2008

Games @ SGPHS

9am - Arlington Bowie vs. Irving Macarthur

11am - SGP vs. Frisco Liberty

1pm - Birdville vs. Mesquite Poteet

3pm - Dallas D'backs vs. SC Spikes

Games @ Northwood University

9am - Grapevine HS vs. Reds Scout Team

11am - K9 Sports vs. Texas Dukes

Games @ GPHS

9am - Irving vs. Wylie

11am - Cedar Hill vs. Burleson

Full bracket available at sgpbaseball.net

Come support a good cause and watch some good baseball in November!
The following changes have been made to tomorrows games:

@ Northwood University - November 15th

11am - K9 Sports vs. Texas Dukes 18U

1pm - Grapevine HS vs. Texas Dukes 18U

3pm - K9 Sports vs. Grapevine HS

The winner of the 3-team pool will advance to play in the semi-final game at SGPHS on Sunday at 1pm. If two teams end up with a 1-1 record, the winner of the head-to-head matchup will advance. If all three teams end up with a 1-1 record, the following will be used as a tie-breaker:

1. Runs Allowed
2. Runs Scored (Max of 7 per game)
3. Coin Flip

@ Apache Field - November 15

11am - Apaches 16u vs. Midlothian Extreme 16u

1pm - Texas Dukes 16U vs. Apaches 16u

3pm - Texas Dukes 16U vs. Midlothian Extreme 16u

The winner of the 3-team pool will advance to play in the JV championship game at SGPHS on Sunday at 3pm. If two teams end up with a 1-1 record, the winner of the head-to-head matchup will advance. If all three teams end up with a 1-1 record, the following will be used as a tie-breaker:

1. Runs Allowed
2. Runs Scored (Max of 7 per game)
3. Coin Flip
Last edited by TurnTwo1

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.