Skip to main content

Maybe we need to start a 2010 thread to handle the early commits in the junior class?

It just goes to show how much earlier and earlier folks are committing. The first ones I heard of in the nation, just two years ago (2008 class) were around Thanksgiving. So now the 2010 class is 6 weeks ahead of even that early pace!
This topic has been covered repeatedly. Look under Recruiting Questions if you like.

Basically anyone can shake hands on anything at any time. Either can welsh out prior to signing an NLI, but most commitments are honored.

There are limits on how and how often you can communicate, but lots of communication goes on with underclassmen within the rules.
Shantzee - you need to take a closer look at what VMI has done in baseball over the past 8 years. I have a very normal kid that went there and he has now played four years of pro ball, getting ready to start his fifth. VMI has a very solid baseball program. Coach Ikenberry has done an outstanding job and is a great recruiter in the state. When you go to VMI you leave there being prepared for the game of LIFE and you can assured that VMI will bring out the best in you. If your not afraid of hard work then every normal kid should consider VMI as an option.
"Quite heavy on partials"? As compared to whom?

If you can find any full rides -- I mean REAL full rides, the kind football and basketball players get -- let us know.

I think this may have been inartfully stated, but I do agree that a player heading to VMI has to be careful that he's not just going there because he was a baseball recruit. No matter where you're going, you need to be sure the school is for you as a school, with or without baseball. The VMI experience is wonderful if that is what you want; it is a great bonding experience that lasts a lifetime. But it's clearly not for everybody. Baseball or no baseball, VMI sees a very high attrition rate with every year's freshman class.

In the new NCAA world order, where transfers must now sit out a year of baseball to regain eligibility, you need to be sure you want the full VMI experience. But from what I've seen, the staff there is doing a great job of making sure their recruits are on board for the whole thing. I don't see a lot of their big recruits leaving from one year to the next. And when you think of where the baseball program has come from, and where it has gotten to, you have to say they have done one heckuva job there.
Wow, Sorry for making an obvservation. Blaster, I didn't say VMI wasn't good for changing people into men, you took my sentence out of context. When I said normal I wasn't meaning normal Baseball players, I meant Normal teens that are afraid to get yelled at, pushed around, get their hands dirty, and party all the time. Superball hit it right on the head. VMI isn't the normal college atmosphere and if someone sticks it out for four years to play ball, then they should be commended and given utmost respect. And Midlo says what I try to say, but better than I can... Thank you (not sarcastic there)
Last edited by Shantzee
The Coach obviously feels he has walked into a garden of young talent because he has made a sincere approach to the area and the players in it.I have spoken to other Coaches and they are complimentary of the program and seem to seek VMI out for competitive games.I wish other schools would come down to these local Districts and see these kids play.Remember,this schools guiding light is not Baseball.I am sure they want to know when the door drops all are running the same direction?Baseball is a compliment to the school and an activity for these young men.When the young players from this program get thrown out the only difference is they answer "thank you sir".When they win they say "Come back soon".

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.