Skip to main content

quote:
Looking at the variability in the bonuses If I was in this class I would find out who the agents were for numbers 6, 9, 11, 19, & 29 ...

Not on your list, but #30 was with Boras. He registered at Santa Fe College in Gainesville FL yesterday (a JUCO with an excellent baseball program). According to the rumor mill, he wanted $8M,then $3M. According to today's paper, the Rays offered $1M.

Rays don't sign former Gator signee
Last edited by 2Bmom
I believe that 4 years is what they like especially if the bonus is decent. I saw a MiLB guy get $500,000 and he became a bit of a drunk with lots of female problems. He wanted to head back to Australia. The team asked for a quarter of his bonus back since he only played 3 of the 4 years. He stayed and sat the final year. Another guy I knew well had a similar bonus and contract for 4 years.

Loewen was a huge disappointment and I think giving a HS guy big money can ruin their motivation.
He is now trying to be a fielder with the Jays as his contract was not renewed due to arm problems.
These deals are nuts and it is not the team paying them. It is the fans who buy the tickets and watch the games.
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
I guess it's like every other contract, everything is negotiable.

Patriot,
In dealing with MLB, what you find is that the amount of money is negotiable and the term over which it is paid can be, and often is, negotiable.
What not negotiable is the contract term of 6 years.
For any player would wants to play professional baseball with a MLB club, the the contract term is 6 years. You are committed to the team for 6 years unless the team chooses to release the player at an earlier point. The team owns the contract and the player for 6 years. At the end of each "Championship season," as it is described in the contract, or just before Spring training of each year, the team will inform the player whether the team is exercising its right and offering a contract extension for that year.
Only after 6 years, or an earlier release point, does the player have any right or control to negotiate money and any other issue as a free agent.
As a player, even choosing to retire does not impact the team's control of your contract. If player retires and then wants to play again, he returns to the team controlling his contract, for the balance of the 6 years.
What BHD is describing is a relatively recent development.
In 2004, a high draft pick was paid a bonus exceeding $400,000. In the middle of his first full season, he just decided he didn't want to play anymore.
The team was outraged. At that point, the contract did not provide for the bonus to be pro-rated and to be paid back if the player quit.
It was changed soon after, but that also is negotiable. This item alone can be a $300,000 or $400,000 reason, in some cases, for a player to have a very good adviser or agent.
Last edited by infielddad
quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:
quote:
I guess it's like every other contract, everything is negotiable.

Patriot,
In dealing with MLB, what you find is that the amount of money is negotiable and the term over which it is paid can be, and often is, negotiable.
What not negotiable is the contract term of 6 years.
For any player would wants to play professional baseball with a MLB club, the the contract term is 6 years. You are committed to the team for 6 years unless the team chooses to release the player at an earlier point. The team owns the contract and the player for 6 years. At the end of each "Championship season," as it is described in the contract, or just before Spring training of each year, the team will inform the player whether the team is exercising its right and offering a contract extension for that year.
Only after 6 years, or an earlier release point, does the player have any right or control to negotiate money and any other issue as a free agent.
As a player, even choosing to retire does not impact the team's control of your contract. If player retires and then wants to play again, he returns to the team controlling his contract, for the balance of the 6 years.
What BHD is describing is a relatively recent development.
In 2004, a high draft pick was paid a bonus exceeding $400,000. In the middle of his first full season, he just decided he didn't want to play anymore.
The team was outraged. At that point, the contract did not provide for the bonus to be pro-rated and to be paid back if the player quit.
It was changed soon after, but that also is negotiable. This item alone can be a $300,000 or $400,000 reason, in some cases, for a player to have a very good adviser or agent.

Thanks IFD. That is what I orginally thought. Why is the Strasburg deal being reported as 15.1 million for 4 years I wonder?
They are likely describing the period of time in which his salary will exceed the "exorbitant" amount which is mandated/imposed by Bud for those playing in Milb.
He gets paid his bonus and he gets paid a salary over a 4 year period. At the end of year 4, he is still the contractual property of the Nats and his salary for each year from that point on gets negotiated.
Since it is reported he signed a ML contract, he would likely be eligible for arbitration at the end of the 4th year, when his salary under this contract ends.
Separate and distinct from his salary ending, he will be the contractual property of the Nats for another 2 years, unless they negotiate another contract, trade him or release him.
Last edited by infielddad
quote:
Thanks, that helps alot. No wonder most agents are lawyers.

The remark by the plotter of treachery in King Henry VI shows - "The first thing we must do is kill all the lawyers,"

However, I much prefer (and recall)
Eagles' "Get Over It,"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But you might feel better if they gave you some cash
The more I think about it, Old Billy was right
Let's kill all the lawyers - kill 'em tonight

Smile
While we are there...the lyrics to the whole song are pretty great...

Eagles: "Get over it"
From the album Hell Freezes Over (1994)

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' 'Don't blame me'
They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat

Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it