Skip to main content

Collegiate Baseball Newspaper published the latest Louisville Slugger High School All-American list today. I also noticed they have the first pre-season national rankings for high schools out as well. Looks like the season really is finally going to get kicked off!

Here's the link - http://www.baseballnews.com/
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not to take anything away from anyone talented enough to be on this list... BUT

I sometimes wonder how these list get put together? I noticed that the top 3 HS players on PG Crosschecker were not included? (Purke, Tate & Matzek) I believe these players are also in BA top 10 list as well. Hmmmm

Again I am not taking anything away from those named (I am sure they earned the honor) BUT when you have close to 100 names on a list positioned as "1ST team", you would think those named in BA and PGX top 5 would show up somewhere?

Leads one to question the validity of some of these "All American" teams.
Last edited by jerseydad
jerseydad,

I noticed the same thing. Not going to say much though because we do the Rawlings list that comes out soon. That might stir up some controversy too, but we won't miss the three you mentioned. I promise!

Anyway... Being from Iowa the first thing I noticed was 5 first team All Americans from our state.

Sioux City North HS has three first team All Americans.

I would be willing to bet that is a new record for an Iowa High School. With three first team all americans, should that HS be ranked high on the national polls?

Actually that team is very well coached and they are good. Dean McArdle is very talented and does deserve first team recognition. He signed with Stanford.
Last edited by PGStaff
No Bryce Harper on the list? He'd only be a top 5 selection in the draft if eligible! I know he is only a Sophomore this year but you'd think he'd be an All-American.

I also didn't see a player who played in our Cal ripken league here in NH and moved to California after his Freshman year of high School, KC Hobson. I know he was in a couple of end of year Lists last year as a Junior and was at PG Nationals etc. I think he is easily in the PG top 100 (Not sure of actual rank but would love to know if anyone knows it..lol)
This particular list differs from others in that it relies almost exclusively upon how the players performed in their HS games in spring 2008. They will also do a post-season list in June, which again will be based on in-season stats.

You will see some AFLAC guys on this list because talent often performs. But if a guy was injured during his HS season, or if he got intentionally walked so often that he couldn't rack up a bunch of HR's, he might not make the cut.
So you can be considered a top 5 draft pick but if your HS coach doesn't turn your name in, you aren't considered to be a LS All American?

With the amount of exposure most the elite players have these days, a HS coach reco's as the primary source to determine a national All American list seems to be a pretty outdated way of doing things doesn't it?
Last edited by jerseydad
2009 Louisville Slugger H.S. Pre-Season All-Americans

TUCSON, Ariz. — An all-star lineup of high school players spotlight the 2009 Louisville Slugger Pre-Season High School All-American teams.

The players are chosen from nominations received by their high school coach and recommendations received from other coaches and scouts. For more detailed information about the players, check out the January 23, 2009 edition of Collegiate Baseball. (See details below about how to get the issue.)

For the 13th year, Louisville Slugger is sponsoring the High School All-American teams. The staff of Collegiate Baseball newspaper selects the teams.

From the boldface type, you can conclude the HS coach never made the nomination, nor did another coach or the scouting community.

These are preseason lists. If you look at postseason lists, they seem to get the job done pretty well.
It is always possible the player was nominated, but simply didn't have the numbers from last year to persuade the decision makers for this particular honor. Again, this often happens if the player had to sit a lot last year due to an injury, or if a whole lot of folks in the player's immediate vicinity put up more impressive numbers.

You do run into issues with certain teams padding their stats, but I think these folks have a pretty good track record of sniffing those out.
quote:
This particular list differs from others in that it relies almost exclusively upon how the players performed in their HS games in spring 2008. They will also do a post-season list in June, which again will be based on in-season stats.

Midlo Dad,

With all due respect, the list get a grade of about C+ for the glaring omissions. I am sure all the players on the list have good stats at some level of play, but the omissions are not because the players didn't have good Spring seasons. Proof of my point: Dylan Floro, Buhach Colony, California, who as a junior made Baseball America's post-season AA list, and as junior had ridiculously good strikeout, ERA, and won-loss stats. The same with Purke, Matzek, etc. Purke was an absolute stud down in Houston last year.

They didn't do all of their their homework for their list to be considered prestigious. That's probably why a lot of coaches didn't even bother to nominate their players.

Maybe they'll get it right in June. Maybe . . .

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.