Skip to main content

The first reported commmitment I've heard of out of the 10th grade class:

2009 Catcher Commits

I do NOT bring this up to focus on this particular kid. It is my understanding that he is a tremendous talent from a "baseball family." I make NO judgement on them at all. Lets just talk about the concept.

But like my views on pre-HS showcases, I cannot see a 'good' reason for either the recruitment of 10th graders nor any of them 'committing.' I fully admit I may be and 'old-timer' in my views.

But is any 10th grader mature enough to make a 'good' decision? Even if its his "dream school?" Is it a good thing to move the recruiting calendar up even more than before? Is it a smart move on the coach's part? What happens if there's an injury? Development slows? Etc..., etc....

Thoughts?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Let's all be reminded of one thing...that "commitment" is totally meaningless, for both parties. The school can't be forced to honor it and neither can the kid.

However, in my opinion the kid (more than likely the kid's parents) just gave all of the power to the school. He's telling other schools that he wants to play for these guys and only these guys. Meanwhile, if someone better comes along over the next couple of years, the team can sign someone else with absolutely no repercussions.
I too believe that a high school sophomore is too young to be making such a serious decision. So many things can occur between now and then, injury and coach changes among them, that could turn what is an exciting time/decision into a problem for the young people who do make such early commitments. If you are old fashioned, jbb, I am sure there are a lot of us right there with you. I know I would not have wanted our son to commit when he was a sophomore (not that he ever had that opportunity, but this is not sour grapes, I can assure everyone) for those very reasons.

Johnlex ... excellant point ref school having all the power and possibly leaving the boy out in the cold (well, maybe out in the chilly) when all is said and done.
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom
Kind of hard to comment without sounding judgmental. The concept smacks of ego bolstering and sensationalism. It sounds to me like a blatant marketing ploy, clamoring for prestige, and hype manufacturing. Whatever you want to call it, it's just hard to imagine any good coming from it. It also reminds me of big media outlets placing so much emphasis on getting it first rather than getting it right. The truth always gets bent in the process.
I hope this doesn't put too much pressure on the kid, but in reality what it will probably do is put even more pressure on other kids to commit early, just so their dads can keep up with the jonses.
I"m very disappointed to see this trend happening. I put all of the blame on the college coaches who engage in this type of activity. What is wrong with their being a protocol of at least letting a kid get into his junior season? This is one of very few situations where I wish the NCAA would become more involved and regulate this type of activity.

On the other hand, I feel bad for the kid and his family who are the subject of this commitment. This decision has created a lot of controversy that a truly great kid doesn't deserve to be involved with. I know them a little bit, and you couldn't find a more stand up, respectable and admirable family and young man from everything I've known of them or ever heard from them. I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised, if part of their reasoning was that it would let him have a little sanity to just go out and play baseball...and be a teenager.
I have never seen Stassi play, but my son has, and though he is not easily impressed, he absolutely raved about Stassi. Apparently Stassi has one of the most gifted arms you'll ever see on a catcher and is very sound defensively, in addition to his offensive numbers.

Things are going on earlier and earlier, but I have to agree, this is carrying it to an absurd extreme.

Still, the point above is well taken: He has an absolute right to change his mind.

But I doubt that UCLA will change its mind. He's a stud player and any school would make him their # 1 guy. UCLA would be well advised to pay attention to him to make sure he stays in the fold.

IF they can keep him from going pro right out of high school, that is.

With those points in mind, it seems to me this deal puts the player in the driver's seat, not the school. So, if UCLA is willing to do it, why would the player not take them up on it, if it's his "dream school"?

On top of everything else, UCLA is very highly regarded academically.

Seems to me this is more silly from UCLA's perspective than from Stassi's. Other catching recruits might be scared off -- 2008's and 2009's --knowing Stassi is on his way and they regard him so highly. And then if he goes pro or changes his mind, you don't get him or the other guys, either.

So we may be worrying about the wrong side in all this. The player is going to be fine. The program might get stung, though.
quote:
I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised, if part of their reasoning was that it would let him have a little sanity to just go out and play baseball...and be a teenager.

I agree with 06. I know the Stassi's and have seen him play on a very consistent basis for the past three years...and yes this kid is special. He won the homerun contest at the Junior Olympics in Peoria before he even set foot in high school. He was varsity league MVP as a freshman. He was on the USA national team this past summer and was the only sophomore listed on the Louisville Slugger pre-season All American team. Knowing the state of the crazy recruiting game today, how many e-mails, letters text messages and invitations to "we've got more scouts" camps do you think this kid has recieved? I know players with a fraction of his talent that have received over one hundred letters. I'd hate to be his mail man.
I think he just wants to play ball and not have to deal with all of the hype anymore. Once he committed, the other vultures hopefully will tone down their pursuit and allow this kid to play the game like it ought to be played.

That said...it is a lot of pressure on a young kid who just wanted to make a difference for his team to be pursued so early. He will be just as good and most likely better after his junior year, as will any other prospect of Max's talent. The colleges need to use a bit more patience and let a kid earn his stripes for at least two, preferably three years of high school before he is pursued with such a vengeance.
quote:
Originally posted by linedrive10:
quote:
I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised, if part of their reasoning was that it would let him have a little sanity to just go out and play baseball...and be a teenager.

...I think he just wants to play ball and not have to deal with all of the hype anymore. Once he committed, the other vultures hopefully will tone down their pursuit and allow this kid to play the game like it ought to be played.

That said...it is a lot of pressure on a young kid who just wanted to make a difference for his team to be pursued so early. He will be just as good and most likely better after his junior year, as will any other prospect of Max's talent. The colleges need to use a bit more patience and let a kid earn his stripes for at least two, preferably three years of high school before he is pursued with such a vengeance.

After going through the recruiting process I think in theory it would be nice to have had the process wrapped up and avoid the on-going stress etc...He obviously must be a very talented kid.

If you really want to scratch your head just look at the Football recruiting process which is totally out of control and IMO is hype driven by the college message boards. Kids commit as Soph and Jrs and then continue to be recruited by schools and still do official and unofficial vists to other schools and uncommit...the process is crazy (of course for the most part it is the very top-tiered prospect with these options).

Please lets not sit hear and talk about commitment and a kid keeping his word. If a program is foolish enough to have a kid commit early in the process they also run the risk that accompanies it.
Hmmmm, I see another side to the issue.

I don't beleive in early commitments, for many reasons already mentioned, that's JMO.

However, I do hear of more and more injuries occurring (not just pitchers), more and more kids playing year round, tournaments and showcases to be seen at. Committing as a sophmore, junior, might take some of the "physical" stress out of the picture.

Just food for thought. Maybe in the end, this will become a good thing if our kids can stay healthy.

The committment is a handshake, if the prospect is talented and things don't work out before NLI signing comes around, he will have other opportunities in a flash.
Maybe I’m stupid or something, but I don’t see anything wrong with this. The same thing has happened many times in Basketball.

Max Stassi and his family are OK with it! UCLA is OK with it! So who am I to be against it? Seems like everyone who is directly involved is happy about the decision. What’s wrong with happiness?
To me this is where the HSBBW is so critical to the up and coming parents.Things change in recruiting and I think that is why Bob created this vision , to help all of us understand and react to the change.
When my son was a sophomore, taking 5 trips was desired and the norm if you could get the interest.The next year as a Junior the trend had rapidly changed to where numerous kids were signing in July and taking the one trip with the signed school.My son chose the july option and the one trip,but luckily this option had be tabled here and I was able to gleen tons of valuable insights pro and con to the rapidly changing scenario.
Now the winds have changed again and parents now are challenged with new and vastly uncharted waters of an even earlier time frame.
Best of luck to all in the recruiting wave, don't be afraid to inquire here and make the most informed decision you can .
quote:
The concept smacks of ego bolstering and sensationalism. It sounds to me like a blatant marketing ploy, clamoring for prestige, and hype manufacturing.

Surely your not accusing any baseball parents of being involved in a marketing ploy or hype manufactoring. That is so hard to believe. Absolutely shocking. What is this world coming to. By the way what is the kid's catching stats? Pop times and defensive abilities. All the article talked about was hitting.
Last edited by no-e2
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Maybe I’m stupid or something, but I don’t see anything wrong with this. The same thing has happened many times in Basketball.

Max Stassi and his family are OK with it! UCLA is OK with it! So who am I to be against it? Seems like everyone who is directly involved is happy about the decision. What’s wrong with happiness?

No problem with this specific scenerio, I just see the madness of Football and its recruiting process and could see baseball going down that path.

To play Devil's advocate a coach could take advantage of an athlete and his family. I think that there is more of a chance for recruiting violations and also the rich getting richer.

I also think that in most cases a kid and his family are not prepared in the process for decisons that early. Issues not baseball related include academics, social life, maturity...and many more. With the number of players that transfer from schools being high in baseball, if Sophmore commitments become a common practice I think that there will be a lot of non-baseball issues that become problems.

The whole recruiting process continues to speed up and I don't know if it helps the athlete or not.
PG - I respect that point of view, I really do.

But imagine for a moment you were the NCAA and had the power to legislate the earliest possible date for a verbal "commitment." (BTW, doubt thats possible...legally). But imagine you could. Your reason for this might be to "protect the integrity of college athletics" as we could probably both imagine all kinds of abuses could be exercised with very early commitments...on both sides.

When would you make the cutoff and why? Or if never, why not?

Just curious, nothing more. I'm trying to think if I might change my mind on this or not.
The times they are a changin' ... You've got to roll with it - no more 5 campus visits, and way more early signings. Coach Savage didn't start it, as it started with basketball "commitments' from 8th graders.

Our son played with Stassi - he is a quality player from a baseball family, and it doesn't surprise me at all that UCLA would try to tie him down early. Like PG said - if the family is fine with it, what's not to like?

What about Robert Stock leaving school one year early and entering USC, allowing him to enter the draft one year early? And remember in football, Josh Booty, current USC QB, also graduated early to enter USC for Spring practice. This is happening in all NCAA sports. Why do you think PG has pre-HS showcases?
quote:
Quote by Justbaseball... But imagine for a moment you were the NCAA and had the power to legislate the earliest possible date for a verbal "commitment." (BTW, doubt thats possible...legally). But imagine you could. Your reason for this might be to "protect the integrity of college athletics" as we could probably both imagine all kinds of abuses could be exercised with very early commitments...on both sides.

When would you make the cutoff and why? Or if never, why not?

Just curious, nothing more. I'm trying to think if I might change my mind on this or not.

justbaseball, LOL... You're probably going to wish you hadn't asked me those questions. Big Grin But seeing you did...

If I were the NCAA, this situation would be very low on the list of changes I'd make.

I'd be way to busy getting rid of many of the rules in place that are not in the best interest of student athletes or even college athletics!

And I'd make sure I allowed high school athletes to be left alone until they become college athletes. How could I be so pompous to think I can rule someone who doesn't even, or may never, fall under my jurisdiction.

And I would open it up for those coaches who truly want to compete and are willing to work harder than the rest, rather than tie them up into knots in the guise of evening the playing field for the lazier people.

And I'd quit thinking about new ways to dictate the private lives of everyone who is associated with me or may someday be associated with me.

And I'd make a rule that all employees must be considerate of human beings. I'd make them listen to to what people are saying rather than just be in 100% power mode all the time. I'd make everyone understand that this is America... Land of the FREE!

Then I'd be busy trying to figure out what to do with the zillion dollars of revenue we produce. Like how about giving some of it back to the Athletes who make it for us!

Then I would legislate ruling that would allow someone to help out a needy family or high school player when they couldn't afford to attend events that could possibly change their life! God forbid us giving a poor kid a baseball glove or even a T shirt unless he pays for it. Actually buying a young athlete a flight seems like a capital offense!
However, if the (NCAA) happens to land this poor kid at a college, it's alright for him to help them make millions! But don't anyone else think you can help him or his family!

I would be compassionite to all those young athletes who accidently made an honest mistake, rather than eliminate them from playing, just to exhibit my almighty power.

I would waste very little time thinking about a young boy verbally committing to a college. It would be alright, because if I'm the NCAA I already control what he can and can't do.

Ok, that's all I got for now! Don't know which is truer... you're more sorry you asked... or if I'm more sorry you asked. Wink
Brian: Savage did start it- in baseball. He was the first one to get junior commits when he helped re-start the baseball program at UC Irvine. I think the trend portends for bad things to come in general. The unofficial visit deal is a joke. Those visits are planned and coreographed from start to finish. We are going to see colleges change their minds and athletes doing the same. I hope the NCAA gets a handle on this.
quote:
What’s wrong with happiness?

Absolutely nothing.

I am all for happiness.
I am all for making dreams come true.

I just hope the price is not too high.

I worry that the burden of such expectations at such a young age,( for any sport) might blind or perhaps even block, average ordinary adolescent life lessons.
Lessons & experiences that so many of us refer to and value later on in life, as an adult.

How can one know what the right "fit " is at such an early age?

Should highschool athletes carry on their back such burdens that come with such high expectations? Arent average highschool pressures enough?

I feel as though its kind of like starting at the beginning of a book, reading the first chapter, only to skip the middle chapters entirely, and reading the last page.

As some say,..its not the destination,....but rather the journey that is so rewarding.

I worry and I wonder.

PG,...I posted this not having read your last post. You beat me to the " post now " button! ha!
You make excellent points above.

"And I'd make sure I allowed high school athletes to be left alone until they become college athletes ".....

This makes shortstopmoms head feel better. Cool
Last edited by shortstopmom
I'm sure not gonna lose any sleep over it,
but many have missed the beauty or irony of the situation
quote:
by PG: Max Stassi and his family are OK with it! UCLA is OK with it!
UCLA really? where did they say that?
that's the beauty/irony of it, Savage can't comment or even acknowlege whether he knows the kid until he signs an nli in Nov 2008 - 22 months away

quote:
by Red: did this kid just happen to drop by the UCLA baseball office and get a scholarship offer
that's more of the beauty, the offer seed was planted .. a scholly offer was only implied, never actually mentioned in the press release Wink

reminiscent of another 5'9" jr national team catcher who committed waay early surprising the coaches at that school
Last edited by Bee>
PG, excellent posts that are thought provoking.

One of the ironies of this subject is that this particular kid and family are such high quality people. Not everyone faced with this prospect in the future will have that level of integrity, ability, and other character traits. That is what concerns me more than this particular example. Problems will arise as they have in the other sports, I just can't imagine it'll happen in the current example.
06- Your point is the key. Stassi will be the exception to the rule. Now, he hurts his shoulder or knee (god forbid). Does UCLA come back and say they are honoring their commitment- just at a discount rate! This is going to happen to alot of people. I can also see players commiting early out of desperation and improving at a rate that more prestigous programs are now offering him more than he "settled for".
We just dont know the whole story. In my sons case I want him to wait. I want him to wait untill the fall or at least late summer of this year. To me it will give him more time to make a good decision. But that is my advice to my kid. Everyones situation is different. Without knowing the whole story all I can say is congratulations to the young man and his family. And I hope it all works out for all parties. Early verbals are here to stay. That does not mean that if you have the opportunity to do so you should or you should not. Each player and family has to make that decision themselves.
I'm a big believer in less regulation, so I find it hard to disagree with PG on his one. (Hey, the Pursuit of Hapiness is not an after-thought, like the Bill of Rights!)

However, commitments do seem to be getting earlier and earlier and at some point it may put undue pressure on both the schools (who want to secure the best recruits) and the kids who feel they must "stay ahead of the curve". And when it becomes the norm rather than the exception I think it would be a bit crazy.

If it happens, I predict that at that point it will become the "norm" to back out of early commitments and that seems unfortunate for college baseball.
Last edited by Bum
quote:
Originally posted by Bee>:
Savage can't comment or even acknowlege whether he knows the kid until he signs an nli in Nov 2008 - 22 months away

Considering the kid is from Cali, I'm inclined to believe they know him and have spoken with him on unofficial visits which are legal within the guidelines.

But you do raise an interesting situation; I wonder if there actually have been instances when an underclassman has "Committed" to a particular school and they had absolutely NO idea what was going on???

It's an extreme situation but I'll use it to illustrate my point. What if my son (currently 14 / 8th grade) "verbally commits" to his dream school and it gets to the press? They can't say a thing about it except mumble to themselves in the coaches office "Who in the world is this kid???"
quote:
Originally posted by infidel_08:
So, this commitment means that he won't be getting any other visits (official or unofficial), right?

If he's really committed, he wouldn't necessarily need to make other visits but he can if he wants to. He can't make Official visits till July 1 after his Junior year anyway.
quote:
by ncball: (if he gets hurt) Does UCLA come back and say they are honoring their commitment
exactly what commitment was made by UCLA, I might'a missed that part

mostly, it's just a high profile kid lettng the baseball world know his college planning is done, & he's ready to begin lining up his pro options

same thing the last Jr National catcher did (Langely)
Last edited by Bee>

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.