Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Nfieldguy:
Anyone have details on how this tournament works?

Is it daily pool play on Tues, Wed, Thursday followed by single elimination thru the weekend? Minimum game guarantee?

Suggestions on how to schedule airline reservations would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Big time competition, big time atmosphere, hundreds of scouts (mostly at the East Cobb complex).

You should have 5 or 6 teams in your pool, and will play all of them once, beginning on Tuesday. Bracket play should begin Saturday or Sunday and will be single elimination.

Get there Monday, and depending on how good your team is, plan on leaving after that. Unless you're one of the best teams in the country and have about 12-15 pitchers, don't count on going too far.

PS...bring an umbrella, and don't hold me to the above format as the rain will change it.
I believe there is a six game guarantee, so you have five games in your pool plus at least one more game to be played on Sat or Sun. This could be a consolation game or a game in the winners bracket. You can keep going for up to 9 games if you continue to win. (Hence need for pitchers.) The weather this week has been beautiful! No rain, cool days (relative to usual) and a bit of a breeze.

Teams could play at one of any number of fields reserved for this event. The fields are spread over a very wide area, reaching all the way down to Oglethorpe University in Atlanta (45 min from ECB), and up to Woodstock and Canton. Most are around the Cobb county area.

Stands at ECB are covered, but other stadiums are not. Umbrellas, and tents are essential, as is sunscreen and liquids. (Hubby took care of an ump in kidney failure last week due to dehydration having called 3 games in a row.) NO water in dugouts, so make sure your player/team has enough liquids!

Tournament pass for the week is $40 per person. $10 for single game. Pass is worth it if you plan to go to at least 4 games. Good at all fields.
quote:
Originally posted by quillgirl:
I believe there is a six game guarantee, so you have five games in your pool plus at least one more game to be played on Sat or Sun. This could be a consolation game or a game in the winners bracket. You can keep going for up to 9 games if you continue to win. (Hence need for pitchers.) The weather this week has been beautiful! No rain, cool days (relative to usual) and a bit of a breeze.

Teams could play at one of any number of fields reserved for this event. The fields are spread over a very wide area, reaching all the way down to Oglethorpe University in Atlanta (45 min from ECB), and up to Woodstock and Canton. Most are around the Cobb county area.

Stands at ECB are covered, but other stadiums are not. Umbrellas, and tents are essential, as is sunscreen and liquids. (Hubby took care of an ump in kidney failure last week due to dehydration having called 3 games in a row.) NO water in dugouts, so make sure your player/team has enough liquids!

Tournament pass for the week is $40 per person. $10 for single game. Pass is worth it if you plan to go to at least 4 games. Good at all fields.

Great post. Just one addition.

With 32 pools of 6 teams each (192 teams), only one team from each pool will be placed on the 32 team, single elimination, "Championship" Bracket. All other teams will get at least one more "consolation" game. (weather permitting).

Best of luck to all the Texas teams!
quote:
Ha you guys crack me up. You sign up to play a tournament in what is the arm pit of summer, with 200 teams in a tournament that cannot possibly be completed without incident. Oh and then lets go play Jupiter during Hurricane season to further prove we are the higher intelligence on the planet

strik3.... just so happens that every college coach in America will be at East Cobb watching these young men play, and many will be in Jupiter along with pro scouts from every organization. I've been there and seen it with my own two eyes - how 'bout you?
Last edited by Natural
This is our 4th time at the tournament, first time in the 18U group (we're a 17U team) and the number of scouts is very impressive- far more than last year at 16U, and- I hear- fewer than will be at the 17U next week. My only complaint is that these scouts somewhat determine the lineup from time to time. They speak to the coaches, tell them who they'd like to see and the coach rearranges things to suit them. That's a little annoying at times. Happy to have the scouts there, though. We'll be at the 17U next week too.

This is one of my favorite tournaments each year. Well run, so many teams, load of terrific ball, great fun!
quote:
Originally posted by Natural:
quote:
Ha you guys crack me up. You sign up to play a tournament in what is the arm pit of summer, with 200 teams in a tournament that cannot possibly be completed without incident. Oh and then lets go play Jupiter during Hurricane season to further prove we are the higher intelligence on the planet

strik3.... just so happens that every college coach in America will be at East Cobb watching these young men play, and many will be in Jupiter along with pro scouts from every organization. I've been there and seen it with my own two eyes - how 'bout you?

Yep been going to both since they started. Have You Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Ken,

In all honesty, just how many have you been to since the beginning of time?

Mr. Ford,

Smile. It's all in fun.

Except the part about the full ride I found. Wink

See you Tuesday. I've got some 16 year olds that may project like Kershaw did.

Big Grin

KG should have plenty of radar guns at his games, especially when some of those 16 YO's are throwing. Plus you've got SWAC who has VIP access to the 'secret tower' who can lobby for you as well. Hope you guys do well down there!!!
Unfortunately some have not seen the humor in my posts.

Reading back, I could see that if you didn't know me one might read them differently than intended.

Mr. Ford, you know I and our program have always supported PG and team events.

So much so, I'm using a week vacation to fly out your way today.

I apoligize if anyone has taken my posts for anything more than simple humor.

Mr. Ford, please make a point to come see me so I can shake your hand and tell you thanks for all you do.

I will be the fat bald guy with circus hat.
quote:
Originally posted by HaltomScout:
TxBlackhawks lose to Baseball bandits ...
my son came in the last inning with bases loaded 1out and stuck out two(8 pitches), to end the inning.

No shame in that as Amaro and Co. out of Pennsylvania normally have a pretty strong club. Noticed they picked up a couple of kids from the Midland squad last year that finished 3rd in the MMWS.
I thought some of you might be interested in the blog/scouting report from PG observers (from their website.)

Kish/Coyle Power Bandits Past Blackhawks
7/7/2009 5:16:38 PM

High school teammates MIF Sean Coyle (2010, Germantown Academy, PA) and RHP Keenan Kish (2010, Germantown Academy) combined for 5 RBI's in a 6-1 Bandits Baseball victory over the Texas Blackhawks.

The ultra-talented Sean Coyle is one of the top hitters in the country and possesses plus speed and arm strength. Along with going 2-3 with 3 RBI's at the plate, Kish took home the victory on the mound going 3 innings and allowing 1 run. Kish sat at 87-89 with his fastball today, although he has been in the low 90's in recent events.

RHP Joe Harvey (Kennedy-Kenrick HS, PA) topped at 88 for the Bandits, while Blackhawks RHP Nick Sawyer (2010, Hebron HS, TX) and RHP Chase Underhall (2010, Halton HS, TX) topped at 89 and 90 respectively.
quote:
Originally posted by HaltomScout:
Thanks Q

always great to see your sons name .... guess they couldnt read the coaches writing .. last name is Underhill (from Haltom)

Big Grin

Congrats to your son, HaltomScout on hitting that magical "0" on the radar gun yesterday! The WWBA is a great place to do it at.

That being said, in reading the blogs from yesterday (which report on maybe 1/4 of the games) there were a lot of kids bumping/touching 90, and certainly a few surprises from Texas that will get on radar screens because of it. I've been convinced for over 2 years that the 2010 class is stocked with quality arms across the country, and that is looking to hold true after the PG National event last week and the way the WWBA has started this week.

Look for one of KG's kids from OK, who's a 2011, to put up a big velocity number today at the East Cobb Complex that should certainly be "blog-worthy".
Last edited by Dillon
From the blog today:

Bundy/Alainez Overmatch Chain Baseball

7/8/2009 3:57:28 PM

RHP Dylan Bundy (2011, Sperry HS, OK) and RHP R.J. Alaniz (2010) combined on a 7 inning no-hitter in a 1-0 win over Chain Baseball.

Bundy was overpowering in 4 innings of work, striking out 9 hitters. He gets very good movement on a fastball that sits 91-94 mph and touched 96 mph during the 2nd inning. He mixes in a 80 mph slider and 73 mph curveball on occasion but basically just blows the ball past hitters.

Alaniz was almost as effective, striking out 4 in 3 innings. His fastball was 88-91 mph and his mid 70's curveball showed nasty bite at times.

RF Bradley Marquez prided the only DBAT run when he tripled leading off the 4th inning and later scored on a sacrifice fly.
Last edited by Dillon
Finally made it to East Cobb, a year or two late but I made it. I got to see Wil Abbott of Coppell pitch at the Kell HS field for one of the three Tiger teams. Complete game, 2-1 W and 6 SO, looked good and it was nice to watch a game without a son playing.

Then I walked over to the compound, I enjoyed watching the Patriots play well against a strong Florida club, they won 8-5.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.