HM Patrick Arnold Northside 12
HM Tyler Allen Powatan 9
HM Bryce Hubbard Patrick County 11
HM Jerrod Groves Alleghaney 11

Player of the Year
Kyle Crockett Poquoson 12

Coach of the Year
Kenny Bennett Poquoson
With the recent releases of the Coaches and Virginia Preps AAA All-State Teams, a comparison might be interesting. Please note the Virginia Preps team did not identify a second team, only first team and honorable mentions. I believe the Coaches team came out in early to mid June and the Virginia Preps team last week. While I did not see any comments from the coaches, Virginia Preps posted some comments with their announcement last week.

Coaches team on left - position - Virginia Preps team on right

Tyler Thomas - first base - Tyler Thomas
Josh Swirchak - second base - Josh Swirchak
Ryan Lindemuth - short stop - Nick Poulos
Joey Burney - third base - Cameron Tubbs
Austin Kilbourne - outfield - Austin Kilbourne
Mitchell Shiflett - outfield - Mitchell Shiflett
Riley Beiro - outfield - Nick Rogowski
Cameron Cecil - catcher - Mike Perez
Charlie Morgan - DH - Nick Thompson
Patrick Harrington - Utility - Charlie Morgan
Bobby Wahl - pitcher - Bobby Wahl
Austin Chrismon - pitcher - Cody Cox

Charlie Morgan - POY- Bobby Wahl

John James (WS) - Coach of year - Jason Ritenour (Woodbridge)

West Springfield had a real powerhouse with the player of the year on both teams, first team pitcher on both teams and the DH and the Coach of the Year on the Coaches' team.
Last edited by El gato
One thing to note is that I think the VHSL process considers only regular season play. Other lists, like VirginiaPreps.com and things like the RTD's All Metro team, will consider post-season performances as well.

So if someone gets hot during the playoffs, logically they could overtake someone in the considerations.

Not to mention, put two different decision making bodies together and the likelihood that they'll agree on everything is nil!
Actually, the differences between the teams run a little deeper than you might anticipate or suspect. Excluding player of the year and coach of the year, each team has twelve spots. The coaches, as I anticipated, favored seniors, placing ten seniors on the team. The Virginia Prep team placed only seven seniors on the team. While three more underclassmen may not seem like a lot or a significant difference, it is when your pool or sample is only twelve players/spots, i.e., 16.6% versus 41.6% underclassmen. My conclusion is that Virginia Preps gave more weight to individual stats and performances during the 2010 season while the coaches favored stats and performances accumulated over a player's career.
Last edited by El gato
Disagree on your conclusions, in one of the instances where VA preps chose differently it was not at all based on stats either regular season or post season, just an attempt to compare the district pitching each faced and the opinion of the college coach of the VA preps choice. IMO they didn't do their due justice since the stats were glaringly different both in the regular season and post season.
quote:
Originally posted by El gato:
Actually, the differences between the teams run a little deeper than you might anticipate or suspect. Excluding player of the year and coach of the year, each team has twelve spots. The coaches, as I anticipated, favored seniors, placing ten seniors on the team. The Virginia Prep team placed only seven seniors on the team. While three more underclassmen may not seem like a lot or a significant difference, it is when your pool or sample is only twelve players/spots, i.e., 16.6% versus 41.6% underclassmen. My conclusion is that Virginia Preps gave more weight to individual stats and performances during the 2010 season while the coaches favored stats and performances accumulated over a player's career.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.