Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congrats on your son's early commitment.
I often wonder why early commitments are made, I am assuming that a large part of it has to do with possibly a large commitment from the school, as well as the right fit academically,etc.

I am not sure how parents do things these days, but during the recruiting process, we did our homework to get an idea of costs so that we had an idea of what we could and could not afford, depending on offer and that was the direction son headed in the decision process. We also discussed this with the coaches recruiting son, as to whether we could afford or not afford their offer. We were also asked by the coaches of very expensive private schools and out of state schools if we could afford the tuition based upon their offer.

Remember, tuition and room board are just part of what it costs to send your son/daughter off to school. Even on a very good scholarship, there are many more expenses while away from home.

I am assuming (?) that the offer was at least 25%. Scholarships other than bb money can be academic and then there is needs based money, you definetly need to do your homework, and luckily you have time.

Best of luck to your son.
Last edited by TPM
Thanks for support.
We have done plenty of research and agree that the school the offer and BB program is a good fit for him and our budget. I know you are wondering what school it is but my son for some reason doesn’t want me to publicize it now. But I will say It’s a small D1 in the Summit Conference.
The school has committed to 50% of education. He will also be receiving some aid for his academics. I will be responsible for room board and meals. Next year he will be considered a in-state resident.
I am just looking for any scholarship leads that someone might know of. For instance the Turn 2 scholarship from the Jeter foundation. One of the requirements is being involved in a program in Kalamazoo, MI and NYC. Unfortunately we are not in that area.
Don't know about the Jeter thing, but if a player receives any other award based upon bb or his performance it can count against the money they are giving him. Check that out.
Make sure that you check this out also, to obtain state residency in some states after one year, one has to live off campus (physical address), states will not accept PO boxes as proof of residency for one year.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
Don't know about the Jeter thing, but if a player receives any other award based upon bb or his performance it can count against the money they are giving him. Check that out.
Make sure that you check this out also, to obtain state residency in some states after one year, one has to live off campus (physical address), states will not accept PO boxes as proof of residency for one year.

Thanks TPM I am looking into that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.