Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have never heard of that happening, so if it does it must be very rare. I would certainly expect to talk to the head coach before making any commitment, and if he weren't willing to talk to me, I would be concerned.

Birddog,

There are some NCAA limits to communications, but it's kind of a Swiss cheese situation -- lots of communication goes on, and if both sides are ready, offers can be made and accepted at any time. Either side can welsh out prior to the NLI signing, but that happens very seldom.

Examples of permitted communications:

1. If a player e-mails, the team may reply. As a practical matter there is almost no limit to e-mailing.

2. The team cannot call player until July 1 after JR year. But the player can call the coaches, and if they answer, they can talk as long as they wish. If the player only succeeds in leaving a message, the call cannot be returned. E-mail is often used to set up a specific time to call.

3. If you visit their campus, whether for a camp or an unofficial visit (i.e., at your expense, with the exception of some free game tickets), they can talk to you as long as they want. These visits include "junior days", guided tours, and even negotiations over terms.

I don't know how this notion persists that recruiting doesn't really start until July 1 after junior year. If you wait until then you are behind the 8 ball. True, a lot of recruiting continues through senior year and sometimes even into the summer after graduation, but a lot of opportunities will close out by October of senior year and if you wait too long there might well be others ahead of you in the pipeline at the particular school you're interested in.

Recruiting is happening earlier and earlier. It's competitive, after all, and teams don't like losing out just because another team acted sooner.
Austin Young (Atlee '10) has committed to play baseball for "The University of Virginia". Austin plays first base and pitches. Austin is one of the original members of the Braves '10 team. Austin joins Mitchell Shifflett & Tyler Skulina in the '10 class as well Will Roberts and Danny Hultzen from the '08 class. Best of luck to "Sid" and GO! HOOS
Ashooh committed last fall if I remember correctly. He is a stud and UVA was smart to snatch him up so early. LHP with his stuff don't exactly grow on trees.

In the NR, I know of his commitment and Bobby Wahl's from WS (Ole Miss). By the way, it won't surprise me at all if Wahl is drafted high enough next year to be persuaded to skip college. Has anyone else committed yet? I've heard that Fitzgerald from McLean is close, but are there any others? I guess this summer is when things will really start to heat up for the majority of 2010 kids.
USC lands Va. star
By John Whittle, Staff Writer
Posted Jul 8, 2009
Copyright © 2007 TheBigSpur.com

After a recent string of in-state commitments, an out of state gem made his verbal pledge to South Carolina last week. Utility player Patrick Harrington of Virginia Beach, Va. became a Gamecock with a phone call to associate head coach Chad Holbrook from the World Wooden Bat Association tournament in Atlanta, Ga.

Ranked the No. 107 prospect in the country regardless of position by PerfectGame CrossChecker, Harrington is another in a line of Virginia standouts that have made an impression at South Carolina or are looking to etch their name in the record books.

Former USC outfielder Michael Campbell hailed from the Commonwealth and left his mark during his four-year career. Rising sophomore, and former summer league teammate, Jackie Bradley, Jr. is a rising star in the Southeastern Conference.

With statehood brethren Ethan Carter and Tyler Webb on their way to campus in August, Harrington is continuing the tradition of highly-touted players from Virginia becoming Gamecocks.

Despite interest from a who’s who of college baseball programs and offers from many of the top schools in the southeast, Harrington, like most of the recent commitments, cited Carolina Stadium and the coaching staff as the key to his decision.

“I love the facilities,” Harrington said. “The coaches there are great.”

While he has a great relationship with the Carolina coaching staff, Harrington also has a bond with Bradley.

The rising senior at Kellam High School took notice of the impact which Freshman All-American Bradley made in Columbia this season but he strives to do better – to do better in everything from summer league on.

“Jackie Bradley was the first to get me to start looking at the Gamecocks,” Harrington said. “He’s a great ball player and plays his heart out. I look up to him but I try to be better than him. He had a great summer last year and I’m just trying to repeat what he did, or do better.”

Don’t take those comments as arrogance or condescension towards Bradley, the right-hander has nothing but admiration for the current USC star. It is Bradley who is “trying to find a good football game” for him to come to this season for his official visit.

In fact, Harrington exudes nothing but a humble attitude when talking about his lofty national ranking.

“I don’t really pay any attention to that stuff,” Harrington said. “I just try to be the best player I can be and do my best for the team. I don’t think about it at all.”

Harrington was a standout performer in a showcase tournament in Minnesota last month while he continues to light up the WWBA tournaments in Atlanta, Ga. both this week and last.

Recruiters are still trying to muscle there way in but Harrington is strong in his pledge to South Carolina.

One of the best aspects of his game that Harrington said the USC coaches like about him is his versatility. The 5’10” 180-pound star can catch, play any of the outfield positions, and more than hold his own at second or third base.

“I’m just a utility player,” Harrington said. “I love playing all the different positions whether it’s catcher, infield, or outfield. I don’t care what I do at Carolina. They want me to play everywhere and that’s what I want. I like moving from position to position.”

With a catcher’s pop time of 1.93 second and a 60-yard dash in 6.80 seconds, Harrington has the skills to be an ultra-athletic catcher. He also has the mentality.

“Playing catcher you really have to be willing to work hard and sacrifice for the team,” Harrington said. “You have to get in the dirt and block curve balls, frame fastballs, and just work behind home plate.”

Regarded as one of the top players in Virginia, Harrington said the key to becoming a baseball player isn’t necessarily natural talent but putting in the time and effort to becoming great.

He wanted USC fans to know he will bring that attitude with him to the field every day – especially when he arrives to Columbia.

“I’m just a hard worker,” Harrington said. “I won’t let you down; trust me.”

A rising senior, Harrington will sign his letter of intent in November and enroll in school the fall of 2010. He will see his first action on the field in a Carolina uniform in the spring of 2011.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Harrington:
USC lands Va. star
By John Whittle, Staff Writer
Posted Jul 8, 2009
Copyright © 2007 TheBigSpur.com

After a recent string of in-state commitments, an out of state gem made his verbal pledge to South Carolina last week. Utility player Patrick Harrington of Virginia Beach, Va. became a Gamecock with a phone call to associate head coach Chad Holbrook from the World Wooden Bat Association tournament in Atlanta, Ga.

Ranked the No. 107 prospect in the country regardless of position by PerfectGame CrossChecker, Harrington is another in a line of Virginia standouts that have made an impression at South Carolina or are looking to etch their name in the record books.

Former USC outfielder Michael Campbell hailed from the Commonwealth and left his mark during his four-year career. Rising sophomore, and former summer league teammate, Jackie Bradley, Jr. is a rising star in the Southeastern Conference.

With statehood brethren Ethan Carter and Tyler Webb on their way to campus in August, Harrington is continuing the tradition of highly-touted players from Virginia becoming Gamecocks.

Despite interest from a who’s who of college baseball programs and offers from many of the top schools in the southeast, Harrington, like most of the recent commitments, cited Carolina Stadium and the coaching staff as the key to his decision.

“I love the facilities,” Harrington said. “The coaches there are great.”

While he has a great relationship with the Carolina coaching staff, Harrington also has a bond with Bradley.

The rising senior at Kellam High School took notice of the impact which Freshman All-American Bradley made in Columbia this season but he strives to do better – to do better in everything from summer league on.

“Jackie Bradley was the first to get me to start looking at the Gamecocks,” Harrington said. “He’s a great ball player and plays his heart out. I look up to him but I try to be better than him. He had a great summer last year and I’m just trying to repeat what he did, or do better.”

Don’t take those comments as arrogance or condescension towards Bradley, the right-hander has nothing but admiration for the current USC star. It is Bradley who is “trying to find a good football game” for him to come to this season for his official visit.

In fact, Harrington exudes nothing but a humble attitude when talking about his lofty national ranking.

“I don’t really pay any attention to that stuff,” Harrington said. “I just try to be the best player I can be and do my best for the team. I don’t think about it at all.”

Harrington was a standout performer in a showcase tournament in Minnesota last month while he continues to light up the WWBA tournaments in Atlanta, Ga. both this week and last.

Recruiters are still trying to muscle there way in but Harrington is strong in his pledge to South Carolina.

One of the best aspects of his game that Harrington said the USC coaches like about him is his versatility. The 5’10” 180-pound star can catch, play any of the outfield positions, and more than hold his own at second or third base.

“I’m just a utility player,” Harrington said. “I love playing all the different positions whether it’s catcher, infield, or outfield. I don’t care what I do at Carolina. They want me to play everywhere and that’s what I want. I like moving from position to position.”

With a catcher’s pop time of 1.93 second and a 60-yard dash in 6.80 seconds, Harrington has the skills to be an ultra-athletic catcher. He also has the mentality.

“Playing catcher you really have to be willing to work hard and sacrifice for the team,” Harrington said. “You have to get in the dirt and block curve balls, frame fastballs, and just work behind home plate.”

Regarded as one of the top players in Virginia, Harrington said the key to becoming a baseball player isn’t necessarily natural talent but putting in the time and effort to becoming great.

He wanted USC fans to know he will bring that attitude with him to the field every day – especially when he arrives to Columbia.

“I’m just a hard worker,” Harrington said. “I won’t let you down; trust me.”

A rising senior, Harrington will sign his letter of intent in November and enroll in school the fall of 2010. He will see his first action on the field in a Carolina uniform in the spring of 2011.

Congrats Tom! I'm sure Patrick will do very well there. Now with the decision made, he can relax and have a great senior year
Congrats to Patrick and his family ! I have witnessed the commitment to the ideals of true hard work, dedication to the teams that he has played on and understanding the role of a leader for the last three years. More than that in my opinion is his genuine people skills. Patrick has always shown respect for all of those around him who have touched his life. The verbal announcement to USC is merely one more step for this outstanding young man. Patrick's parents have done a tremendous job raising one of the finest young men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting !!! I wish you all the best Pat !
We do not run a fall program because of my relationship with fall coaches like the Red Sox. We have a lot of kids from Maryland that have grown up wanting to play for the Red Sox and the Maryland Oriolanders. Rather then fight the battle of making the kids choose, it allows kids to have yet another person like Allen Haines, Dean Albany and others as references to the ability level of these kids. Plus with the newness of our program (in it's 2nd official year) We feel it's better to assist in the process of getting these kids to college rather then spend time fighting over them. If we are just a part of what happens in a kids baseball (albeit hopefully a good part!) then that is good enough for us.
Last edited by Mid-Atlantic Mets
As of August 3, here is a list of 2010 Hurricanes who have committed:

Chris Ayers, C, Manchester - VCU
Joey Cujas, IF/OF, Manchester - VCU
Tyler Costello, RHP, Paul VI - Radford
Ryan Ashooh, LHP, Centreville - UVA
Kyle Crockett, LHP, Poquoson - UVA
Austin Chrismon, RHP, Menchville - ECU
Sean Fitzgerald, RHP, McLean - Notre Dame
Erik Payne, IF/OF, Mills Godwin - South Carolina
Chad Pinder, MIF, Poquoson - Va Tech

Add Reply