Skip to main content

quote:
Julie,

Thanks for everything this site has done for so many of us through the years to help us, help our sons reach their goals.

My son Justin, was drafted tonight by the Tampa Bay Rays, 31st pick in the 1st round. A dream come true for all of us...

Thanks,
Randy O'Conner

The Rays must have been working the Pacific Northwest very hard for the past few years. They also drafted Washington's Top three prospects: Josh Sale 17th (Seattle, Wa), Drew Vettleson comp round A (Kitsap, Wa), and a kid from my neighborhood Ryan Brett 98th (Burien, Wa).

Congratulations and enjoy the glow.

David
I too would like to congratulate the players who were drafted and their families.
But, I sure don't want to stop there.
What happened over the past 3 days is a mysterious process for sure. Transparency is not the catch word by any means.
Some terrific players did not have their names called.
Some terrific players had their names called.. but much later than they hoped or expected.
Some terrific players will have extremely hard choices to make about signing for a very small bonus vs. returning to college where they will be challenged for playing time as a senior.
To each and every one of these players and their families, let me say
These are all skilled and talented. What happened over 50 rounds does not change their skill or talent.
Last edited by infielddad
I really have learned to enjoy this three day period every year. It's fun to share the excitement with parents we know whose sons get their number called.

Like Infielddad says, of course, there are lots of very good ballplayers who don't hear their names. There's plenty of disappointment in these days for lots of families - I have been quite close to a couple of them who believed they got the call on the wrong day of the draft.

But I really do love each year when I get another crop of HSBBW sons to follow in the minors. It's one of the best things about baseball.
quote:
But I really do love each year when I get another crop of HSBBW sons to follow in the minors. It's one of the best things about baseball.

Rob, I could not agree with you more.
Beginning in about 10 days, there are folks in Auburn, NY, Salem, Oregon, Billings, MT., Ogden, Utah, Helena Mt., Staten Island, Aberdeen, Md. and many other places who are looking forward to the annual right of getting the first looks as Short Season begins.
With that said, I also appreciate there are a group who were drafted in prior years and for whom the level of competition for their future in baseball edged up a bit with this draft being completed.
Whichever way I look at it, it is one of the best things about baseball.
While I don’t post much anymore, one of the best parts of my day is checking in on the HSBBW to read about our baseball family’s son’s accomplishments (youth, high school, college or pro). So with all this good news it has been a very good day indeed!

Congratulations to all the players and their family’s... whether drafted in the 1st or 50th round I hope each of you take the time to cherish this great accomplishment and celebrate it to the fullest. No matter what happens from here on these boys can say they were chosen to be a professional ballplayer, how cool is that!

Does it get any better?
Last edited by jerseydad
One of the things I thought was interesting was looking at the disparity between the velocities of the RHP's and the LHP's drafted in the last few rounds. Even in those rounds the RHP's were generally all guys working in the upper 80s or higher and touching 90 or more. The LHP's included ones working low to mid 80s and touching mid to high 80s along with ones touching 90 or so. Some of the available info (mlb video, old showcase info)can be out of date but the difference is clearly there.
Congrats to all the HSBBW kids!! It's always a joy to see success happen in the "family"!!

A big congrats to a former HS teammate of my son, Jayson Langfels, who went in the 16th. He's a young man who has the skill as well as the intangibles we always talk about.... including heart, dedication, manners, and just a great "spirit"!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.