Skip to main content

Listed are players from virginia listed in top 300
#9 Deck McGuire RHP Jr. R-R Georgia Tech Richmond, Va.
#39Jarrett Parker OF Jr. L-L Virginia Stafford, Va.
#40 Justin Grimm RHP Jr. R-R Georgia Bristol, Va.
#52 Austin Wates OF /1B Jr. R-R Virginia Tech Richmond, Va.
#62 Kevin Munson RHP Jr. R-R James Madison Roanoke, Va.
#126 Cody Wheeler LHP Jr. L-L Coastal Carolina Spotsylvania, Va.
#148 Bobby Wahl RHP Sr. R-R West Springfield Springfield, Va.
#211 Robert Morey RHP Jr. R-R Virginia Virginia Beach, Va.
#221 Tyler Wilson RHP Jr. R-R Virginia Midlothian, Va.

All from 2007 class except Bobby Wahl who is at west springfield high school.
Not a bad showing for state of virginia and the 2007 class.
Side note: velocities for the pitchers from perfectgame when in high school and national pg ranking
McGuire mph91 rank 286
Parker rank 510
Grimm mph92 rank 28
Wates rank 1036
Munson n/a
Wheeler mph 88 rank 982
Wahl mph92 rank 65 2010 class
Morey mph90 rank 316
Wilson mph91 rank 181
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Can someone explain to me in simple terms (I'm a simple man) what this list means? I like lists, but I want to know what I'm looking at.

For example, Bobby Wahl #148 (High School Senior) has more Professional "projectability" or "value" than Tyler Wilson (UVA Junior) who has pitched in two ACC seasons, ACC championship games, and College World Series games? I mean no disrepect to the Wahl family or their son's ability. However, I want to understand this. Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:

For example, Bobby Wahl #148 (High School Senior) has more Professional "projectability" or "value" than Tyler Wilson (UVA Junior) who has pitched in two ACC seasons, ACC championship games, and College World Series games? I mean no disrepect to the Wahl family or their son's ability. However, I want to understand this. Thanks.

MLB Draft is about potential. They have a great farm system filled with outstanding coaches that can help a kid play to their full potential. Scouts have graded Wahl's potential higher than Wilsons. That's the bottome line. Now, whether the kids reach that "projectability" is the risk those clubs take.
For the most part I would agree, but saying "no one does" is not actually true. This year is a perfect example that a prospect can fly under the radar because people around them that scouts consider reliable evaluators play down the potential draftable product. The list of 300 prospect would be basically the top 10 rounds and I think you will see some surprises like we do every year.
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
quote:
Originally posted by DCHEAT:
I think one list could be different from another list, thank goodness the only list that matters is on draft day

You are correct - lists do vary. However, no one is going to skyrocket into the top 5 rounds and not be on anyone's follow list.
I have seen a lot of scouts out and about in our area.....especially yesterday.

Here is my question - at what point in the draft (round) should a player consider going to school. (Drafted after round 10, 15) Now, I know there are alot of considerations, ie (kid doesn't have the grades, doesn't like school, needs money), but a $100k only goes so far after taxes, agent, car, living expenses......

One other question - how does a HS Pitcher drafted in the 5th Round get $250K and a pitcher drafted in the 10th round get $750K......better agent?

I would love to hear some opinions....thanks.
Last edited by saipanwarrior
Billy I think alot has to do with the previous round picks within the organization. Each team has a budget for the draft, so lets say a team does not sign their 3rd round pick there would be the 3rd round slot money available for maybe the 5th rounder, it happens alot and that is why the signigning bonuses sometimes are not in line with the slot dollars of other teams in the same round.
The levredge a player has (is he a HS player with a scholarship waiting for him at a great school, or a 22 year old college senior with no amateur eligibility left?) has a lot more to do with signing bonuses than what round a player is picked.

Your 10th round pick who got offered 750k probably was a HS pitcher, while the 5th rounder was probably a college guy. Just a guess.
@dcheat - you're right. A player does every so often but it is not a normal thing. But, 99.9% of the time, clubs have identified their follows before the spring of the draft. I know our follow list had everyone that could be drafted in the top 10 rounds from VA. Some moved up and some moved down after further scrutiny.

@Saipan - a kid with 1st or 2nd round talent will fall to later rounds due to signability issues. That could be they have a strong commitment to a college. There are a couple each year that are later round picks who are offered top round money to sign trying to lure them away. If the club took that risk in the 1st round, they would risk wasting a draft pick. If they do it in the 10th round, they don't lose as much.
Driller, what do you consider often?

Last year, slightly over 9% of those drafted in the first 3 rounds did not sign. Those that did not sign were:

Round 1, picks 12, 14 and 30 (out of 32 picks)
Round 1, supplemental, picks 5 and 12 (out of 17 picks)
Round 2, picks 19 and 29 (out of 31 picks)
Round 3, picks 19, 22, and 30 (out of 30 picks)

A total of 110 players were drafted in those rounds so 10 out of 110 did not sign.
Last edited by WB Reporter
LHP Mom

quote:
Originally posted by LHPMom2012:
So how does the school commitment factor in on the other side? Not to take this thread into a different direction, just wondering... but what does the school do when a player who committed decides to go pro instead? Is this something the schools usually anticipate based on how highly their commits are ranked?

This thread should help. LHPdad

http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/f...86003481/m/942100444

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.