Bennett - Decatur 2010
Driscoll - Urbana 2010
Glazer - Clear Spring
Lenovitz - Calvert Hall 2010
Nadolny - Belair 2010
Kratochwill - Marriots Ridge 2010
Bennett - Col. Richardson 2010
Last edited by Bear
I assume this is now the final list. Hammond must be loaded. Maybe they will be nationally ranked. I told that guy from Georgia Tech he signed the wrong kid. He didn't even make a preseason list. What was Maryland thinking asking for a 2011 verbal from a kid from John Carrol who didn't make the list. St. Frances must be favored to win the "A" conference with this kind of talent. They're the only MIAA team with 2 listers. Congratulations to all who made the list and good luck this season.
quote:
I assume this is now the final list. Hammond must be loaded. Maybe they will be nationally ranked. I told that guy from Georgia Tech he signed the wrong kid. He didn't even make a preseason list. What was Maryland thinking asking for a 2011 verbal from a kid from John Carrol who didn't make the list. St. Frances must be favored to win the "A" conference with this kind of talent. They're the only MIAA team with 2 listers. Congratulations to all who made the list and good luck this season.

Is this sarcasm JSP? I hope it is.
Yes! I was being sarcastic and hopefully being a little funny. I don't have a horse in the race so I figured I could make light of a few BLARING omissions. And honestly, Hammond must be loaded to have 4 kids not only for consideration but to make a the list. Even if 15% of the list is questionable, to be on the list it is still a great honor. Its not like 1 guy made the list. To be recognized with votes enough to make it is a great thing.
I wouldn't put him on the list personally because his #'s wouldn't support it. But he is a very good ball player. The consensus out there is that I am wrong in my opinion of the kid. I accept that. batting .370 one year does not constitute making a list prior to the next in my opinion. That being said the kid is a heck of a player. I beat everyone to the punch putting him back on the pedastal that is appearently easy to reach. Beside this post was sarcasm Smile

I am still just not sure how one makes the list other than being nominated. I have said it before on another board, I know 1 kid that hasn't played the first inning at varsity yet and was nominated. I know another kid that batted .445 3 hr 32 RBI and made 1 error all season. He didn't make the final list. 4 guys from 1 school is unheard of. 2 kids from a "C" conference team, really. The list is a joke and it gives no credit to the the kids on it who really deserve it. Markey didn't make the list, seriously! Say what you want about me but you can't deny the flaws in the system that generates the list. I hope my sons coach doesn't participate in this in the future as it has no merit.
quote:
Originally posted by JSParak:
The list is a joke and it gives no credit to the the kids on it who really deserve it. Markey didn't make the list, seriously! Say what you want about me but you can't deny the flaws in the system that generates the list. I hope my sons coach doesn't participate in this in the future as it has no merit.

Harsh, but I'm tending to agree with you JS. It's tough to say becaus the ideas are in order-however, it's clear that these are not the 30 best in the state. Are they all very good baseball players, who will have great seasons, attend great universities and colleges and play there as well? Yes, all of them probably are, but to say best 30 in the state is absurd-as is saying Hockaday isn't one of them.
There are some flaws in the system.
1. Players are not selected based on position.
2. Coaches are certainly voting for some players based on name or numbers without actually seeing them play.
3. Some coaches may get the benefit of the doubt on a borderline player based on reputation.
4. Some coaches choose not to nominate players.

That being said, the process is as fair as possible. Each member of the MSABC can vote and ANYONE can nominate players. It is a shame that some talented players are left off the list, but that can be said for any pre or post season honor - someone always gets slighted.

I hope that we all remember these were the players chosen based on the rules that are in place and they all deserve the recognition based on MSABC voting.

For people that want to change how voting is done - join the MSABC, attend some meetings, and bring up your points.
quote:

I am still just not sure how one makes the list other than being nominated. I have said it before on another board, I know 1 kid that hasn't played the first inning at varsity yet and was nominated. I know another kid that batted .445 3 hr 32 RBI and made 1 error all season. He didn't make the final list. 4 guys from 1 school is unheard of. 2 kids from a "C" conference team, really. The list is a joke and it gives no credit to the the kids on it who really deserve it. Markey didn't make the list, seriously! Say what you want about me but you can't deny the flaws in the system that generates the list. I hope my sons coach doesn't participate in this in the future as it has no merit.

The player you are talking about above (and in 10 other posts) is Austin Neary. He had a great sophomore season in the most competitive league in Maryland and should be on the list in front of C conference players or those who have not played varsity yet. A MSABC coach forwarded me the voting results - Austin got 11 votes and Hockaday and Markey got 16 each. Looks like 19 was the cutoff to make the team (55 votes was tops). IMO all three should have been on there. Possible explanations that I will not expand on include preferential voting for 1) seniors, and 2)those who play a lot in AA county. So I agree with you that there are flaws but certainly not a joke or without merit as you rant above. I would be interested to know if you would be equally negative if Neary were selected and all other things remained the same.
I would be as negative because the real snub is neither Neary or Hockaday. The real snub is Markey. I guess that's what rubs me wrong more than anything. Maybe the issue is that they allow any class to be included. Maybe the preseason list should be for SR's only. Wouldn't this help to solve some of the issue if everyone knew it was a Sr. only list. I realize it would snub some good players but they would have their shot when they were sr's. The final All state can be who ever because it is more meritorious as opposed to subjective like the pre season list. There are some great 2011's on the final list; Parks, Bouey, Lardo, and some great 2011's not on the final list Neary, Hockaday, Bosse. The jr's will have their time when they are sr's.

The 1 thing I am happy about is that we can debate this. The truth is that we are splitting hairs between the talent level of most of the kids.
I don't think this should be a SR only list. I don't think it is that hard to pick out the best players in the state without missing some major names. Might there be snubs whether a kid is 27 or 31, yes-that would always happen (look at the NCAA MArch Madness Selection Committee). But to stay with that analogy this would be like leaving out the ACC champion. I've seen a lot of players in this state play-not all but many. And simply, I feel like a group of "Showcase" Coaches (say, Jerry Wargo or Alan Haines or Dean Albany...) could've done a better job.
Wargo, Haines, and Albany are all class guy and have an excellent eye for talent, but if they were involved - I believe they would run into the same problems. They would not have seen every player, or they may show bias to the players they have seen. Wouldn't there involvement be saying to the players - "hey play for one of our showcase teams if you want a better chance to make the pre-season all-state team." The same bias that some high school coaches may get or show may be shown by the names you mentioned.

No matter who is selected there will always be some glaring omissions. Besides this is an MSABC list, correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe Wargo, Haines, nor Albany are MSABC members or even high school coaches. I respect their work and opinions as they are great showcase coaches and do fantastic work for kids, but once again - let the MSABC pick the list and/or adjust the criteria as they see fit - it is their list. JMO.
quote:
Originally posted by hocobaseballfan:
"hey play for one of our showcase teams if you want a better chance to make the pre-season all-state team." The same bias that some high school coaches may get or show may be shown by the names you mentioned.

No matter who is selected there will always be some glaring omissions.

A very valid point that I had not thought of, however, I disagree with GLARING omissions. My thought were they would atleast get the MAIN guys that need to be on the list....I think the process is close, yet not perfect.

fourbagger-HOF. Now that's funny. But, in all seriousness, these other players are top 10 kids in the area easily. They deserve spots
I wonder how many players that made the 2009 Pre-Season Team also made the Post Season All-State Team? Was there much of a difference between Pre and Post Season players elected? Is it pretty much automatic that the same players will be picked for the Post Season State Team? I am surprised that more players from the 2009 Futures Team did not make the 2010 Pre-Season Team.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.