Skip to main content

I've heard good things about this Showcase held at Virginia Wesleyan. As I understand it, they get very good participation from most Virginia Colleges and a few from out of state?

Anyone have any input from past experiences attending this fall showcase camp?
"In order to excel, you must be completely dedicated to your chosen sport. You must also be prepared to work hard and be willing to accept destructive criticism. Without 100 percent dedication, you won't be able to do this." Willie Mays
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son is going to do the first weekend. Is there really any difference between the two as far as school representation or do they pretty much commit to attend both sessions? Judging by the literature, it sounds like it is run very similar to a PG event?

Son was going to do the PG event this weekend in Norfolk but an early season injury this year prevented him from being ready to showcase. He is just now getting back to pre-season form so we felt like it wouldn't be beneficial to do the PG event at this point.
A few other out-of-state schools from the past two years were University of Maryland, Greensboro College and Louisburg College. A number of pro teams also are represented by scouts.

The Nick Boothe Showcase has much more of a instructional component than the PG events. Both test speeds and grade arms (40 and 60 in running, velos in pitching, pop times for catchers, throws from the outfield and across the infield, etc.) but the NB Showcase tests multiple times on different days. Both have games as part of the showcases. In addition, though, the NB Showcase has instructional sessions on hitting, including video analysis of the player's hitting, often reviewed by one of the pro scouts in attendance; sessions on fielding; a lecture on arm care and prevention of arm injuries by Andy Altman (with 2 masters degrees in Physical Therapy and Athletic Training and a former athletic trainer at the pro baseball level)-great session for both players and parents to attend; a question and answer session on Friday night where parents and players can ask recruiting questions of the coaches; and a "meet and greet" on the field at the end of the showcase on Sunday where players can talk face to face with the college coaches in attendance. I understand that this year Team Elite will be instructing on speed, strength, and running conditioning in 2-hour sessions on game days (Saturdays).
Last edited by WB Reporter
My son graduated this year...the school he was interested in and showed some interest in him was unable to attend at the last minute for the first weekend. Coach Booth offered to allow him to attend the second weekend free of charge so the coach could see him. He didn't need to...the college coach called and based on a recomendation from one of the show case coaches he got an offer. Great event!
Last edited by vavals

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.