Skip to main content

What's a high school baseball season in Illinois without some pre-season rankings? I've seen this done the last two years on this board, so I thought I would give my two cents this year. For what it's worth, here is the top 15 based on a few factors, mainly what I've been hearing around the block.

1. New Trier
2. St. Rita
3. Sandburg
4. Joliet Catholic
5. Edwardsville
6. Brother Rice
7. Illinois Valley Central
8. Naperville Central
9. O'Fallon
10. Stevenson
11. Olympia
12. Prairie Ridge
13. Minooka
14. Mount Carmel
15. Lake Zurich

Well, the season officially starts later today. (3/1). Should be another great spring.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Returning many key starters from final four team. They are battle tested. They also had a very strong sophomore team, with pitching. Plenty of power in their batting order and some speed.

I also like the fact that some of their key players were also high performers on the state championship football team. Their work ethic and leadership will raise the bar for the younger players.
I give PR the edge because of the seniors and good coaching. They have a good core of players with almost every position being fielded by a senior. The pitching staff will be young and inexperienced, but will come together as the season goes on. But perhaps the biggest factor is the coaching. Coach Pec coming back always puts PR into contention, no matter the talent. The program now has stability it lacked for the past two seasons, despite winning a state championship. Pec is one of the best coaches in that area, if not the best. Him and his staff will always have an impact on the team no matter what.
I can't disagree with the Coach Pec logic. He will make a tremendous impact. It will be very interesting to see just how much difference he makes. I can't question PR's young pitching this year either. I did that last year and their, at the time unproven, staff greatly exceeded my expectations. Great programs always seem to have someone step up.
Yes Coach Pec does a great job no doubt there. As far as seniors go I have always found it to depend on the individual along wih the usual question, are those senior playing in college? If they are then usually driven, if not I find many seem to lose focus as the year progresses. If your pitching is a question mark then I would be concerned also. Best of luck with the new season.
After coaching the last 3 years in the fvc, I think I have a pretty good opinion on this subject. Grayslake Central will be the best team in the the fox divison with players like Murphy(SIU), Tielke (Heartland), Gargano, Gentile, and DeRue. Behind GLC, CLC and PR would be next. PR has great speed and I dont think you will find a faster outfield then what they have Kaczmarski(Evansville), Henderson(Villanova) and Mertins. CLC had a pretty decent starting 3 with Sadzeck (Oklahoma), Cysewski, and Dunkel. Cary would be my pick to win the Valley with South and a young Jacobs squad. Cary still has Waylock, Gaulke, Chandler along with newcomers in Vilardo and a big surprise to everyone in LHP Matt Panek. These are just my opinions. Take it for what its worth.

One thing I will take issue with is a comment made by Ball4Life. You stated the program did not have stability the last two years. Me being in the building and being on staff, I totally disagree. Coach Haskins did an outstanding job in the two years he was there. The only reason he left is because he wouldnt have been able to coach and teach in the same building which was one of his goals. He never had any intentions of leaving PR and worked his butt of for that program. Yes we had some outstanding players come through that program but he did a great job. Coach Pec would be the first person to tell you that and appreciates where the program was left when he took back over.
All three coaches PR has ever had have been outstanding coaches and I have taken some, if not a lot from all of them and appreciate all the opportunities that they have given me.
Mick Matsie
St. Charles East High School
Pro Player Academy
May be tooting the alma mater horn here, but Providence is definitely an underrated ballclub this year... or at least one that isn't receiving enough attention..returning all but 2 starters and essentially the entire staff from a team that lost in the sectional championship last year? I would put their staff up against anyone's in the state..at least 5 future collegiate pitchers. I like them to take the CCL this year and make a deeper run than last year.
quote:
Originally posted by Provi Celtics 08:
May be tooting the alma mater horn here, but Providence is definitely an underrated ballclub this year... or at least one that isn't receiving enough attention..returning all but 2 starters and essentially the entire staff from a team that lost in the sectional championship last year? I would put their staff up against anyone's in the state..at least 5 future collegiate pitchers. I like them to take the CCL this year and make a deeper run than last year.

What about the team that beat them in state tourney? They have 7 of the 10 players that played that day coming back, and they picked up Shane Conlon from Rita. Should be a great game the second week of the season between those two teams. I've been watching Naperville Central baseball for 5 years now, and Providence is the only new team they have ever added to the schedule. Otherwise they play the same teams every year the first two weeks of the season. I can understand why Providence would want another shot at Central after the tournament game last June.

I'll bet a dollar to a dime Sieple will not show Providence the same pitcher they saw as the starter in the state tourney. He'll "hide" that kid from any potential playoff teams except for conference games.
NC will get challenged that week

Monday April 5th against Joliet Catholic
Thursday, April 8th against Providence
Saturday, April 10 against Stevenson

We'll see what they are made of early in the season, but as they found out last year, the tournament is in late May early June and they were certainly a different team late in the season as opposed to early in the year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.