Skip to main content

HS baseball season right around the corner, some of you may experience what others have, here's a list of things to look for.

Scouts at games to watch your son.
Calls from scouts to come to talk to you and son at home.
Local newspaper doing some coverage about top prospects in the district(your son being one of them).
Advisors/agents contacting you.
Lots of thinking about all of the possibilities of your son following his dream getting paid to play.

For those that come here to ask what it all means, it means (not big brainer on this one) that there is a possibility that your son could be drafted.

But that will depend of a lot of different things. The better the program your son has signed with, more likely he has pro tools and projection beyond HS, however, the better the program, in some cases means signability issues.

I am not going to get into the pros and cons, we've discussed that alot here, it is, IMO, a personal decision and a very hard one as well. This is a time when if the above is happening you need to sit down with your son and have a serious discussion regarding turning pro after HS. This would include what amount of money it would take for him to sign because they are going to ask that and they are going to expect an answer (JMO). Not sure whether telling them what round, as these days you can be later pick and get early round money. Be reasonable as well, telling someone your son won't sign for less than a mil when his talent doesn't match, means that you just took him out of the running. If you have an advisor and TRUST him, then listen to him, if you are not sure, then let him go. Understand that the advisor/agent who is advising you, generally is because he feels that you have the ability to move past the milb level. In other words, a client of Boras is more likely to have ML tools and end up there.

Hope that this helps, feel free to pm any questions.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

TPM, great post and maybe someone can help me understand this process: HS senior, four pro workouts, agents calling, PG rated him 10 (don't think is a big deal), has an "adviser" since He was a sophomore(We gave him our word), no pro teams have called to talk to parents, adviser says everything will happen in the last 3 weeks of he season. What do You think, and how important is the adviser in this process? Is He suppose to promote player or not?
quote:
Originally posted by justloveit:
He signed with a d-1 school. There was not a commitment with the advisor. The advisor has offered his advise just in case He went pro.

You said he has had an advisor since he was a sophmore and you gave your word so I am assuming it means you gave your word you would use his services as an agent if your son goes pro (you can't do that). However, you can use his advice and picks his brains all you want now.

He can't promote your player to ML teams, he can however find out what interest they have in your son, they have their ways. Until your son's senior season, it's hard to figure it out. but be careful.

Your son getting drafted will be based upon talent and his signability.
quote:
Thanks TPM, I really appreciate your advise. It is very confusing with all the rules and regulations.

A bit confused, if your son has an advisor these are the type of things he should be advising you on.

Advising one through the process and helping them to make an educated decision is a big part of the agents job as an advisor. There is a tremendous amount of trust that goes into finding the right person to work with your son. If he only wants to work with your son IF only after is drafted, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Ask him if he will work towards a goal with your son if he has to wait 2-3 years if he doesn't go pro.
Last edited by TPM
He tells us to wait, that most of the action happens during the last 8 weeks of the HS season. I guess I am getting a little anxious. I have been told by other advisors/agents (trying to represent my son) that there are things that We should be doing already, but I should probably listen to his advisor and just wait. Whatever is going to happen, will happen.
it is a very exciting time for parents. the chance your sons name may be called during the draft.it validates the time spent getting to that point.

but no one can tell you it will happen, so enjoy the last season of high school ball your son will ever play. as i'm sure you know it has gone quickly, you don't want to miss these weeks.
quote:
He tells us to wait, that most of the action happens during the last 8 weeks of the HS season. I guess I am getting a little anxious. I have been told by other advisors/agents (trying to represent my son) that there are things that We should be doing already, but I should probably listen to his advisor and just wait. Whatever is going to happen, will happen.

Your posts are a big confusing, he is not advising he is advising, etc.
He is right though, you got to sit back and wait, his season will depend on what happens. As my son's advisor/agent once said, the last time the scout sees you is what leaves an impression.

Take the advice above, sit back and enjoy the last season of HS ball, and whatever happens will happen, he obviously has great options, and that is all that matters at this time
Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.