Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No, no, no, no! It's not you getting hammered...it's me...on this stuff!

Please biggerpapi don't misunderstand my post. My comments were more focused on me getting old...no jealousy towards the up and coming whippersnappers. Seriously, let us know who is coming up through the baseball fields of tomorrow. That's what us old duffs look forward to...keeps us thinking young...keeps us off the streets and out of trouble!

Does anyone know? Are these Geritol bottles worth a nickel or a dime when they're empty?
Do they still make Geritol?

Apparently so...and some folks are using it for reasons you probably could have never imagined!

Judge for yourself...this was a question posted on a fertility related website.

Good Evening to all of you, I am writing to inquire about Geritol Tonic. I have heard numerous times (including from my wife's mother) that Geritol is known to aid in conception. I know there are a lot of myths out here, but I wanted to ask you all if you have ever heard it. I saw other communities on-line where the woman was taking it, but not the man. Just thought I'd ask.

God Bless

Then there was this question on yet another fertility related website...

SUBJECT: Re: does Geritol tonic really work?

No. Geritol is a bowel stimulant. All it will do is make you p00p a bunch.

All I can suggest is this..."know what you're messing with when you start slugging down that Geritol!"
Last edited by gotwood4sale
biggerpapi:

I DO think it would be an interesting study.

There are some young players with serious potential. They would be interesting to track. I'm not even thinking about them playing in college, though, just high school.

Watching the baseball classes of 2005 through 2007 in my neighboring communities from T-ball to varsity ball, I know that the drop-out rate is significant. My hs '05 was in the relative beginnings of the travel ball phenomenon, joining his first team at 12. The boys in the class of '11 could have grown up within the travel ball circles, playing baseball exclusively and year-round from a very young age. I would be interested to see if the drop-out rate from this class is any different from the drop-out rate from my sons' classes.

By the way, I will perform my own little study on the girls softball side. My daughter, an '11 also, has been playing travel softball since she was 9. Because of my experiences with my older boys, I do know what can and does happen if they burn out for any number of reasons. It is my responsibility to guard that she still loves the game and still wants to play and doesn't burn out or get hurt from over use. My other daughter, a hs '13, played in 110 travel softball games last year---on her 10U team. Softball is even nuttier than baseball!
Last edited by play baseball
quote:
However, I am not at all worried that today's HS freshmen might not be playing when they're seniors. I want my HS varsity squad to be staffed by nothing but college-potential players.

GOOD LUCK..But, did you see what that BG team (13 seed?)has accomplished? They somehow played with timely hitting, fielding and TEAMWORK. By the way, how many D1s on that sqaud? I'm sure a lot of us will take a total team of singularly minded players over a "loaded" allstar squad ala the C******S.
Tralpaz, actually I think bg has some college potential players on that team, the post was colleg potential, not just d-1. I also think the Illinois state tournament takes skill, timing and yes some luck. there is always a team or 2 that makes it in that suprises you and a few that don't make it that everyone picks. Usually they run into a pitcher, bad defense, walks or just a bad game and that is all it takes to send you home. The ploay late in the game where the bg player was caught between 1b and 2b was a huge play that helped them win. Also their left fielder making a great play down the line helped them win with great defense. If they play that team 2 out of 3 I don't know if they take that series, but our tourney is single elimination so they haveit. They also are playing well as a team.
lineshot- you are correct. the phrase was "college potential" and i do think BG has some players that can continue their playing career. Thats what i hope for my son, that if he wants to keep playing it is up to him. He needs to put in the work, provide the selfmotivation, get the grades....I think that if you had a HS team where every player had a committed offseason workout program you will have a competitve squad. Now comes the points you mention as far as the playoffs go. I also agree that the real measuring stick on the player comes out around their So. year.
I don’t post much, but this time I feel I must. To call someone’s post dumb is just plain ignorant, if you do not like the thread you do not have to read it or reply to it. This is an open message board and biggerpapi’s post was H.S. baseball related. And whats wrong about talking about the incoming freshman, I can think of atleast 5 that I know of that have a shot of starting on varsity teams next season. And he never mentioned his own son or players that he knows of.

Tell Florida that’s it too early to start talking about incoming freshman, they have already held their tryouts with many freshman making the varsity rosters. This is why this message board has grown stale, threads getting deleted and too many posters getting on someone for their opinion.

If you don’t like the topic don’t read it; it’s a message board. Get over yourselves.

Dave Ciango
I hope my lightheartedness hasn't scuttled this thread...that certainly is never my intention.

I agree with you CSG...let's get those names out there. It would be interesting to track their progress and development.

I don't have any names to offer at this point...how about the rest of you?

And later as the boys grow older and the baseball waters become more clear we will probably be adding names of players to this '11 class while others fall by the wayside.

Let's get started. Who are those five that you know of CSG? And biggerpapi...do you have names to add?
Why not? We all know (or maybe not) some studs at 13 and 14 (some who already shave) are no where close to being studs at 17 or 18....and some of the smaller guys in 8th grade grow up to be very strong and excellent ballplayers.....And maybe some of the studs in 8th grade continue to be studs as seniors.

I really do think it will be an interesting study. Especially with those kids who do play baseball on an intense travel team year-round...how many continue with baseball, how many play other sports and if they choose one of those high visibility sports like football to focus on once they are in high school. If I was a sports pyschology major I may use this as a topic for in-depth study.

As CSG says: "If you don’t like the topic don’t read it; it’s a message board. Get over yourselves."
Last edited by play baseball
Kevin Colburn / Schaumburg Seminoles 14U
Great glove at third with big stick, one of the best 14U players I have seen this season.

Parker Asmann / Schaumburg Seminoles 14U
Nice mechanics on the mound and changes speeds well, also a good hitter

Joey Filomeno / Upper Deck Cougars 14U
Throws Heat with good control, also has a big stick.

Just a few 2011s I have seen this year.
Thanks for letting us know biggerpapi. The ball is now rolling.

And ballyall used a pair of these welder's gloves...

instead of...

He did make a good point about "overzealous, ego-driven dads and uncles"...the posts coming from those sorts can be tinged with desperation and are tiresome. Mind you they have every right to post them, but they are not received well at all. I think he can agree, now that you have posted, that your posts are not in the category that concerns him. Am I right ballyall?

Your post, and hopefully the others that follow concerning the '11's, was fine, modest, genuine, and in good taste.

I think you have set a good tone for this class.

Let's hear more about them as time marches along.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.