Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Definitely heavily endweighted. My youngest was swinging a 33" Cat5, really liked it, which is odd as he usually is not fan of well balanced bats. The last week in games he's hit with a teammates 32" Rip-It & another's 32" Marucci Black. He again didn't like the feel of the Rip-It, & he mentioned the Marucci Black seemed a little less end weighted just taking a little getting used to.
Last edited by journey2
I purchased a 33.5” Rip-It PROB2 (Prototype II) for my son from JustBats.com in January 2012. Immediately took it to the batting cage to try it out, since you have 30 days to return it no questions asked. My son is 14 years old, 6’-0” tall and 185 lbs. He was wavering between a 33” and 34”, so the 33.5” seemed like a good choice.

Five minutes in the cage and the end cap popped off. It didn’t break, it just flew off. Unlike some bats, the cap doesn’t seem (to me) to be integral to the construction of the bat. It’s just an aluminum bat with a plastic end cap. In our case, it simply wasn’t glued in properly.

My son popped the cap back in and hit machine pitch and coach pitch with the bat for an hour. I told him that we had to send it back anyway for the end cap, so he could return it, choose a shorter model, or just replace the 33.5. He liked the bat and just chose to replace it.

The replacement arrived (I dealt directly with Rip-It) in about one week, and he’s been hitting the daylights out of the bat since then without any problems. That includes about 2 weeks of high school practice now, with hundreds of hits with real baseballs. I think he does realize now that he may need something “lighter” for some of the better high school pitchers, but he’s very happy with the bat. I agree that these bats are end-weighted, and do feel heavier than other -3 bats of the same length. Other kids aren’t pestering him to use it, but most of the guys prefer a shorter bat.

I kind of hate to see the low review scores for this bat just based on the end-cap. It’s certainly an inconvenience, but really has nothing to do with the performance of the bat. As far as durability goes, unlike many other manufacturers Rip-It will replace the bat multiple times under warranty.

I’ll try to report back after the season with final conclusions, but I wanted to comment on the end cap issue now while some people are still shopping. My opinion is that you have very little to lose by trying this bat. In most cases it won’t even cost you a shipping charge to buy, try, and return.

I have no affiliation with Rip-It. I bought the bat based mostly on reading on-line reviews.
My 2014 had the same problem with his first P-II, but I must say that Rip IT's warranty and company paid both-way shipping really makes this worth the effort.

The replacement bat dented, and again they cross-shipped a new bat while the return was in transit to them. Hopefully they've cleared up manufacturing issues and this replacement (the "prototype air") will hold up well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.