Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I believe Meredith was P.
And Bridgeman was 1B.
Togna was DH.

As a side note: Matoaca (tournament host) could have put a little more effort into recognizing the players for their hard work and accomplishments. The "ceremony" was rushed, sloppy, and poorly presented. Many parents payed $7 ea. entry fee just to share this experience with their son. The experience ended up being a non-event, which is sad. Hope to see this improved in future years.
Wow.

I assume, warrior2014dad, you are implying that if Dale is the "host" using Matoaca's facilities, then Dale is responsible for all activities associated with the tournament, including the poorly executed all-district recognition program.
Surely you don't really believe that, but if you do, nice cop-out.

The reality is that TD foregoes the privilege of hosting the tournament because they recognize that they do not have the facilities to host it properly. Dale chooses to turn that privilege over to an alternative host, with the hope that the alternate can (and will) host the tournament in the appropriate manner, and fulfill all the duties and responsibilities associated with it. What a disappointment this year.

I think the majority of reasonable thinking individuals would agree that the "alternative host" (in this case, Matoaca) has the responsibility of making sure that all aspects of the tournament are run professionally and properly. It is outlandish to believe that any representative from TD would have the access needed and authority to control the tournament activities.
Correction to above:
It is my understanding, after a little research, that starting last year, it was decided that all central district sports tournaments would be played at Matoaca. This was done to provide the "jamboree" feel.

In past years, TD did turn over their privilege of hosting the baseball tournament to other schools/venues.

Currently, the "host" school does rotate each year, and has the responsibility of being in charge of the coaches' meeting leading up to the tournament.

Bottom line: WHOEVER is responsible for running the show at future tournaments, please do a better job of recognizing the kids who have earned the recognition.
I'm not going to get into that fight.

I will say that, while the facilities at Matoaca are nice, the location is the pits. I don't know why the school is located out in the boonies in the first place. I'm glad my kids didn't have to drive all those narrow, windy roads to school and back every day. But when you have a venue located that inconveniently to the vast majority of people who'll be attending, choosing it over better options just seems silly.

You have Shepherd Stadium and Petersburg Sports Complex readily accessible to I-95, for crying out loud.
The goal in choosing the Matoaca complex was supposedly to provide an "all sports" tournament atmosphere. Shepherd Stadium and PSC do not have a s****r field, nor other facilities for whatever other spring sports there are (PSC does have softball fields).

I don't mind the drive out to Matoaca HS, and they do have a beautiful facility to accomodate many sports at the same time.

My point is that if you know 1000's of people are going to be visiting your facilities, including the local press, scouts, etc. you might want to get your act together on all the ceremonial matters, and not assume "the other guy" is going to do it for you. All eyes are on you, not the "other guy".
The whole "jamboree" idea is a silly one anyway. Somebody thought that would be neat. In reality, you don't see many fans moving back and forth from the s****r field to the baseball field.

When you get to the state level, the "jamboree" is more like a "parkingjamboree", because it's hard to find a place with room for all the cars.
Agree with you, Midlo Dad.

Seems like someone got a "bright idea" to make things easier. And, as is often the case, the "vision" became lost, as folks truly responsible executed the bare minimum to just get it done and out of the way.

I apologize for taking this topic, "off-topic", so...
Congratulations to the Central District Baseball First Team, Second Team, Honorable Mention, and All-Academic players. You worked hard to earn these honors, and your parents are proud of you.
This is what the progress index had on the Central District Teams.

http://progress-index.com/spor...econd-team-1.1321069

ALL CENTRAL DISTRICT TEAMS First Team Second Team

Published: May 27, 2012

All Central District Baseball Teams

First Team

Pitcher: Colton Gunn, Dinwiddie *
Pitcher: Lucas Meredith, Matoaca *
Catcher: David Markins, Colonial Heights *
First Base: Daniel Bridgeman, Dinwiddie *
Second Base: Alex Smith, Matoaca
Third Base: Kyle Vaas, Matoaca *
Shortstop: Broddie Maitland, Dinwiddie