Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Godwin only returns 5 players I believe, 1 being a rising junior. 1 of those seniors being the only one who played very much (Gino Basso), other then Gino it will be a tough pitching stretch for Godwin, and a lot of inexperienced fielders/hitters. I think Hermitage will be better only because of experience, and the return of pitchers Chris Burnett, and Brandon Taylor. Freeman and Tucker should compete for 2nd place in the district, with Freeman returning Godfrey (if healthy) David Dwight, and Valenzuela, but Tucker also returns Catcher, Jake Austin, Pitcher/OF Micah Gorman (VMI) and Utility player Dylan Gonzales.
To my understanding, the new Glen Allen HS is going to deplete the ranks of players moving up at Tucker and Hermitage. I don't see how they overcome that. I suspect both will have their standouts but just not enough depth to compete game in, game out, all season long.

Counting Godwin out is just a mistake. Players always surface there to carry the team. Marano has a habit of favoring seniors in playing time, so often you don't see the sophomores up on varsity a lot, then all of a sudden there they are as juniors and seniors with no one having seen them coming. As for their pitching, look for Aaron McGarity to emerge as a strong # 1.
Midlo is spot on about McGarity. He needs to get stronger, but he is a pitcher in the finest sense -- understands the need to locate and locates well, commands his pitches and isn't afraid to throw them in any count. But the best thing about Aaron is without question this ... He simply does not get flustered. He's a young man with lots of interests and keeping the game in perspective comes naturally for him.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.