Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Committing between your freshmen and sophomore year is definitely early but as far as injury risk goes, there would be that risk of the school backing away due to injury no matter whether the player committed now or during summer between junior and senior year. I just hope it's the right fit for them, but some kids grow up in this state dreaming of playing baseball for the Longhorns, I know mine did. I guarantee those players committing early to Texas are special players (One of the 2012's just finished up on one of the USA National teams) or Texas would not be offering and by the way the one from Bellaire is actually a 2011.
Yeah, I saw 4 2012 verbals today at the PG website coinciding with the posting of the TOP 75 HS players in the class. Does the player just state he would commit and let the school know since as far as I know Colleges are not allowed to speak with them until their junior year? How does this work? PEr earlier threads, they probably are really special players at this time in their careers to make this decision.Confused
Last edited by Ryanrod23
quote:
Originally posted by Play9:
Actually a friend of mine committed to UF and was drafted this summer but blew his knee out in Marrietta and not only did Fl honor his commitment, their Doc did the surgury and he was redshirted. You have to give Sully credit for that.

I said in another topic that Sully told me that pitchers come hurt all of the time to college.

But there is a difference between getting hurt with just a commitment, and getting hurt after you have signed an NLI. Has to be a huge trust factor qand prior discussion about all the possibilities.

FWIW, big recruiting war going on in FL since Sully came to UF, you will continue to see earlier and earlier commitments in FL to the big D1's.
quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
quote:
as far as I know Colleges are not allowed to speak with them until their junior year

See this thread for a discussion of the allowed communications.

Note that a college may not comment publicly (except to confirm that the player is being recruited) before a signed agreement is in place, i.e. before Nov of the player's senior year.

wow - you have got to be kidding! Local D1 put out a press release on a verbal commitment 2011. It was this summer before his junior year. (plus football tickets and clothing.)
55mom,
No kidding! Smile

13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or nancial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of conrming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete’s eligibility and are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1.
quote:
Originally posted by CADad:
We've probably covered it before but what do people think about the risk vs reward in committing to 2012's?

Obviously some schools feel that it is worth the uncertainty and possibly tying your hands in the future.

Just my opinion, I think it's an earlier process so that the competition doesn't keep sending letters to try to pursuade the player that program is better. I am assuming most of these early commits are high prospects.

It's the player that stands to lose in early committing. JMO.
quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
55mom,
No kidding! Smile

13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or nancial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of conrming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete’s eligibility and are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1.

Thanks for posting that. Now I'm confused. Earlier this year the same coach made another verbal offer to a sophomore and commented on it in the paper. So maybe a comment about a verbal offer, isn't considered the same as "commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution"??? I would think not, but what else would explain the comments with almost 6 months in between.
I think that you have to take most of this very early commitment stuff as to what it is, nothing is the sure thing until the players shows up on campus.

I am not sure who is creating all of this, but I peronally don't care for all the hype.

Interesting, do some homework, find out how many kids commit early to certain programs and never show up.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.