Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1st team battlefield was announced at the District Championship game.

C- Ben Pittman-EV

1b-Charlie Peavley-Culpeper

2b-Justin Gardiner-EV

SS- Alex Jeter-Caroline

3b-Will Shifflet-Caroline

OF-Chris Barlow-Chancellor

OF-Blaine Lafin-Culpeper

OF-Joe Shifflett-Caroline

DH-Kegley-King George

Util-Zach Crim- Culpepr

P-Cain Finkle-EV

P-AJ Stead-EV

POY-Justin Gardiner-EV

COY-Nobbs-EV

Originally Posted by Moneyball:

How are these players selected for the 1st team and 2cnd team since no stats are shared via the district?

I was looking to see if anyone of keewartson's former travel teammates (yes!  congrats!) made 1st team and saw your question.

In our district the coaches meet and decide on 1st and 2nd teams.  I am sure stats come into play, but ours are kept by student managers and may not be 100% accurate anyway.  It is not based all on stats, I don't believe.

Coaches get together, each team is allowed to nominate a certain amount of players.  Players nominated the stats are posted and coaches vote, coaches vote for certain players for a variety of reasons and don't vote for players for a variety of reasons.  More times than not the players with the better stats get more votes, if stats are close in comparison a players character and work ethic could be brought into play, that usually comes from what coaches in the district have seen on the field.  Coaches will fight for their players to try to get them the nod.  If a player received a majority of the votes he is first team at his respected position, 2nd most is second team and if they receive at least one vote they are honorable mention.  Coaches can nominate and stick up for their own players but CANNOT vote for their own players, so once a player is nominated by their coach their coach really has nothing to do with if they are 1st or 2nd team.  

I hope this helps. Stats are kept by different people everywhere and coaches hope that they are kept as accurately as possible and with honesty and most of the coaches i know do a good job at it. 

BATTLEFIELD DISTRICT

Player of the year: Justin Gardiner, Eastern View; Coach of the year: Daniel Nobbs, Eastern View.

First team: Sr. C Ben Pittman (EV); Sr. 1B Charlie Peavley (Cu); Sr. 2B Justin Gardiner (EV); Sr. SS Alex Jeter (Ca); Sr. 3B Will Shiflett (Ca); Sr. OF Blaine Lafin (Cu); Sr. OF Joe Shiflett (Ca); Sr. OF Chris Barlow (Ch); Jr. P Cain Finkle (EV); So. P A.J. Stead (EV); Jr. DH Zak Kegley (KG); Sr. U Zach Crim (Cu).

Second team: Sr. C Michael Selbe (Ch); Jr. 1B Austin Huff (EV); Sr. 2B Lucas Weaver (Sp); Sr. SS Brandon Settle (EV); Jr. 3B Corey Slawson (Cu); Sr. OF Zach Crim (Cu); Jr. OF Nate Yates (EV); Jr. OF Logan Chandler (Sp); Jr. P Adam Desjarlais (Ca); Sr. P Ramey Ferrell (Cu); Sr. DH Rory Smith (Ca); Jr. U Corey Slawson (Cu).

Honorable mention: John Anderson (Cu); Chris Barlow (Ch); Jay Buckner (KG); Jacob Conradt–Eberlin (Sp); Jared Elliot (Cu); Jake Fletcher (Sp); J.P. Gorby (Cu); Ryan Greer (Ch); Ryan Hickman (Ca); Brandon Hunt (JM); Blaine Lafin (Cu); Sean Lyte–Risher (Cu); Nemo Martinez (EV); Jason Morgan (Ch); Jacob Neal (Ct); Justin Pitts (Ca); Sean Redmond (Sp); Joe Shiflett (Ca); A.J. Stead (EV); Chris Weller (Ch).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.