Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

So I see that the teams that competed once again had players that were already committed to play baseball at colleges and universities. I thought it was for the uncommitted player? So I guess that the kid that needed to be seen got bumped for the kid who had already been seen and guess what they were already committed Months ago.

Originally Posted by LDRIVE:

So I see that the teams that competed once again had players that were already committed to play baseball at colleges and universities. I thought it was for the uncommitted player? So I guess that the kid that needed to be seen got bumped for the kid who had already been seen and guess what they were already committed Months ago.

Part of what you are suggesting is true, in the sense that there may have been a handful of players (at most) that had already committed.  Where you are wrong is the suggestion that someone "got bumped" in favor of a committed player.  My observation is that the majority of kids that one would hope to have on the Commonwealth team, chose to play in Georgia instead.  Therefore, in some cases, coaches might actually be scrambling to fill a roster, not the other way around.

Originally Posted by GoHeels:

Part of what you are suggesting is true, in the sense that there may have been a handful of players (at most) that had already committed.  Where you are wrong is the suggestion that someone "got bumped" in favor of a committed player.  My observation is that the majority of kids that one would hope to have on the Commonwealth team, chose to play in Georgia instead.  Therefore, in some cases, coaches might actually be scrambling to fill a roster, not the other way around.

So, we've hit on two topics that make me shake my head every year when the topic of the Commonwealth games comes up and goes away for another year.

1) Committed players are playing in the games.  Why is that the case if the goal is for an uncommitted player to find a team with a college recruiter watching.   The problem is the CG coaches want to win regardless of the (committed or uncommitted) status of their players.  They are not thinking about the uncommitted kid.

2) "Coaches were scrambling to fill a roster?"  Really?  How did they communicate this?  Some regions have tryouts, and others don't.  If there was a system in place (let's call them "tryouts") then ALL coaches would have a list of kids ahead of time (crisis averted!) that he knew was interested in playing in the Commonwealth games. First question on the application would be....."Have you committed to a college program?".  And just think, this could all be done online......with computers and stuff.  Wow! 

The bottom line is this event could be more than it is to serve the uncommitted players. We can bring up the same issue next year.  Talk to you then. 

Every year plenty of kids show up for the tryouts, and cuts are made, so it is a coaches decision to keep committed kids versus uncommitted. It's about winning and nothing else. It is a great opportunity and helped my uncommitted child greatly. If uncommitted kids get the chance they should peruse the Commonwealth games it is a great time with plenty of college coaches looking on.

It seems to me that if we really wanted to make it competitive and fair that we would offer the Managers job for each region to the Coaches who won the region that year in HS or perhaps a year behind to offer some planning for next years game.  If we are truly supposed to represent the four regions then perhaps some change of staff is needed.

Every year plenty of kids show up for the tryouts, and cuts are made, so it is a coaches decision to keep committed kids versus uncommitted. It's about winning and nothing else. It is a great opportunity and helped my uncommitted child greatly. If uncommitted kids get the chance they should peruse the Commonwealth games it is a great time with plenty of college coaches looking on.

I completely agree that it is a wonderful opportunity.  I'm just saying that I am aware of a healthy number of young men who could have tried out, but chose not to, in favor of going to East Cobb.  In essence, they chose to play in what they felt was a better opportunity to gain exposure.  Whether they actually received what they are/were looking for, is entirely a different matter!

Regarding tryouts, I can't speak to how each region handles the process of building the team.  I am aware that the East and West teams had tryouts.  I am also aware of a particular region who did, in fact, have a less than stellar turnout due to a lack of interest (because of kids placing their travel experience above The Games).

It was also communicated to me that other regions may have had similar issues the last few years.

As for the tournament itself, it was a good time for all, and provided for great exposure for those who were able or chose to play.  The West team in particular had some very interesting individual talents.

Last edited by GoHeels
I completely agree that it is a wonderful opportunity.  I'm just saying that I am aware of a healthy number of young men who could have tried out, but chose not to, in favor of going to East Cobb.  In essence, they chose to play in what they felt was a better opportunity to gain exposure.  Whether they actually received what they are/were looking for, is entirely a different matter!

Agreed GoHeels.  As the schedule stands today, recruits have to make a difficult choice between being seen by mostly Virginia coaches at Commonwealth Games or being exposed to national programs at PG WWBA in East Cobb.  That is for each recruit to decide based upon their goals and talent.

What I don't understand is why CG folks are content with the status quo.  There is so much more CG is "leaving on the table" with their event.   Why don't they grow their event to include more than just four teams?  Why not have eight teams (two from each region)?  This will include more players (hopefully uncommitted players) and eventually bring in more (mostly VA) recruiting coaches and possibly more from other states. Grow the event into something that every VA recruit wants to be a part of. 

Originally Posted by keewart:

GoHeels, looks like your son participated.  When you have the time, could you provide the rosters here?

Thanks!

I'm afraid not Keewart!  My son turned 4 earlier this year!!!  Hopefully, when he is of age, he will have the desire and ability to compete at that level or better.  Long ways to go though!!!  For now, we play some catch, hit off the tee with some soft toss, and catch up on our cartoons!

Originally Posted by keewart:

GoHeels, looks like your son participated.  When you have the time, could you provide the rosters here?

Thanks!

I'm afraid not Keewart!  My son turned 4 earlier this year!!!  Hopefully, when he is of age, he will have the desire and ability to compete at that level or better.  Long ways to go though!!!  For now, we play some catch, hit off the tee with some soft toss, and catch up on our cartoons!

*****giggle**** !

Look what all you have to look forward to!  2 more events and our high school travel days are over. 

I can only speak for the North Team but they had a very competitive tryout with a bunch of kids playing at CG and then heading to East Cobb or the other way around. We did end up with a couple of committed players on the team, but I do not think any of them were committed prior to the tryouts. 

We had a great experience even with the weather issues and hopefully a coach saw something they liked in my son and makes the experience even better.

My son turned 4 earlier this year!!!  Hopefully, when he is of age, he will have the desire and ability to compete at that level or better.  Long ways to go though!!!  For now, we play some catch, hit off the tee with some soft toss, and catch up on our cartoons!

GoHeels - I loved those days!  God, I miss them as I watch my two oldest kids head off to college in a few weeks..

My middle son most likely played in his last baseball game last night.  His last at bat was a single RBI to the gap on a 1-2 count with two outs.  I was Coaching First base and grinning ear to ear when he got there.

Enjoy it while you can GoHeels.  It goes so fast.

PS...Thanks for posting the rosters Rocks5964.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.