Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by BK_Razorback:

Sounds like its gonna be a 2013 5150 but any thoughts on the Rip-It bats?

IMO, the Rip-It is a very good one-piece alloy bat, with an excellent return policy and warranty. Very similar to the 5150, but you might not be able to find one for $100.

Also...what makes the Easton MAKO worth $450??? Is really that much better? 

What makes the Mako worth $450 is the fact that consumers choose to pay that even with hundreds of less expensive options. More power to Easton, I'm sure they've lost money trying to launch lots of other products. I would venture to say that the Mako is "better" than many BBCOR bats on the market.  How much better is in the wallet/purse of the beholder.

Originally Posted by FredLynnRS:

Am I the only one or have we been brain washed to buy composite bats but the alloy versions are just as good and 1/2 the damn price????

I think we were brainwashed when the kids were younger, and the comp bats were unquestionably the hottest bats for LL or USSSA play.  But I think the metal BBCORS are just as good or better than the comps.

Just a quick comment.  The Rawlings bats, at least the 5150's have a thicker handle than most bats, but especially thicker than the Easton's.  My son did not hit as well with the 5150, and didn't feel his hands worked as well with the thicker handle.  We purchased a new, but two year old (2012) version of the Easton Comp XL.  Broke it the first time we used it.  Sent it back, and Easton sent us the brand new 2014 $399 Comp XL.  I had no where near that $ in the 2012 version.  Easton's service is awesome!  I would never spend $399 on a bat, but was pleased to get the latest version, and it seems to have good pop.  I always get last years version.  Just saves a ton of money. 

Sons baseball academy recently had a demo day.  Online retailer was there with several bats – all the big names, Rawlings, Rip-It, Easton, DeMarini, etc.  He picked about 12 different 33-30’s, got in the cage, and started hitting – for about 45 mins.  We had no idea what any of the bats cost when he was testing them.  Some he knew immediately he didn’t like and tossed them out.  Got it down to 4 and had a playoff.  The one he finally selected, hands down winner, was the new Louisville Slugger Attack.  Didn’t like the graphics, too busy, but really liked the feel and balance.  To me it sounded very solid.  He currently has the 5150 velo from two years ago – I hate the pingy, loud sound of that bat.  Of course the Attack was the most expensive at $400 retail, although we got a great deal.  It was really nice to have the chance to get in a cage and test each bat.  That was just our experience.  We'll see how it works out this spring.

Has anyone actually purchased a 2014 Louisville Slugger bat yet?  We ordered a 2014 Attack last November at a demo day.  When we ordered it they said nothing about delays.  We waited and waited and finally we've been told recently they haven't even started manufacturing the bat yet and it will be at least Feb until we get it.  Sounds strange.  I figured new model bats are available for purchase in the fall.  Maybe I thinking cars.

First, I believe that you just can't beat Easton and my son has used the XL1 exclusively since BBCOR standard was implimented. We just bought him another XL1 (2012) version since he had so much success with it, saved $200 not going with this yrs model which most likely hits the same just looks different.

I agree cant beat Easton , S1 and The Mako 

Originally Posted by Bolts-Coach-PR:

Kid used an Easton S1 33/30 for most last Spring and most of this Fall... Then he started checking out a teammate's Omaha Balanced 33/30 in practice... asked me to get him one... It kicked the S1 out of the bag...

I think each kid has there preferences , my son was totally happy with the S1 since he got the Mako no going back. He used the Omaha just didn't like it.

What makes me mad about baseball bats is the conspiricy against dumb baseaball parents. Did you know slow pitch softball bats actually states the amount of end loadedness a bat has? It actually gives the softball bat a number for end load so consumers can compare. While in baseball we get slightly balanced, more balance, somewhat endload compared to bat B. Also softball bats actualy gets the length of the barrel. It states 12" or 12.5" softball bat barrel. Baseball gets extended sweet spot , Longer barrel. .. WTF

First, I believe that you just can't beat Easton and my son has used the XL1 exclusively since BBCOR standard was implimented. We just bought him another XL1 (2012) version since he had so much success with it, saved $200 not going with this yrs model which most likely hits the same just looks different.

My son uses the 2012 XL1 bat too ! It's got a lot of wear on it but the pop is still there.His HS coach bought a 2013 XL1 bat last season for team use. My son did not like the feel of it.Loves the 2012 model and wants me too look for another one to take to college next year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.