Skip to main content

2013 LHP (mid 80s), top academics, is pitching well and getting some interest but no D1 offers. Scouts have told him he can play D1. Some D3s want him but he is hoping for D1. At this point, are most D1s (including Ivies) already full with their 2013 class? Some have said an offer could come as late as spring of senior year - we'd just like to know whether that is realistic.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

bbfl, at this time, your son being a senior, I would forget the D1s and concentrate on the programs that have shown interest. Even if a D1 comes along this late in the game, is your son willing to sit for his first year, or would he rather be pitching? Most ball players would much rather play than watch from the bench.

I would think by now if your son was a very good leftie, a D1 would have him signed a year ago.

Don't mean to pop your bubble, but don't take what a scout says as the truth.

TPM is very up on the Florida programs, I'm sure she can offer more, you may want to PM her.

Best wishes.
quote:
bbfl asked....At this point, are most D1s (including Ivies) already full with their 2013 class?

Specific to Ivys, they are in the process of sending out their Likely Letters and have commits applying ED by Nov 1. This is culmination of a long Ivy recruiting cycle that started 18 months ago. At this point your son would be more of an exception than the rule with Ivy recruiting. You can always try to walk-on if get through very competitive admissions.

I would follow Pop-Up Hitter Dad's advance to pursue where your son is being recruited. Your chances will be much better there IMHO. Good luck.
bbfl, to answer your questions specifically:

1. Yes, most Div. I schools have already offered their scholarships for the 2013 class, although some will hold a bit of money back for a late bloomer or a JC transfer.

2. It is possible that an offer could come as late as spring of senior year, depending upon how your son does this Spring. However, few of those offers are as good as the ones that kids will be signing in another month during the November signing period.

As the others have said, and as is often repeated on these forums, it is usually best to go where schools have shown the greatest interest in your son - where he is really wanted.

Good luck to your son!
My 2011 was in the same boat. As someone with a son who has followed this path, Focus on the schools that have shown interest. It is the same as the advice others have offered.

Take the visits that the D3's should be offering soon or early next year. Your son may find out he really likes his options. After my son took his D# visits he was very happy with his choices. His HS coach contacted a big state school and they offered to look at him in the spring. By the time spring had rolled around he had decided he wanted to go to a small college and politely declined. He was happy to go to were they wanted him and he would have a chance to play and contribute.

Your son may be surprised at what D3 has to offer and how comptetive they can be.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.