Skip to main content

Hey everyone,
Ive posted on here before about showcase advice and other questions i had and it was the best advice i think i could have gotten anywhere.
So when i had another question. i thought that i know i will get good advice here so might as well post about it.

Ive filled out a couple questionnaires for colleges that have asked me to fill one out and they gave me a camp invite.So i would respond with thank you for showing interest in me and i hope to attend your camp.And that would be it.

So heres my question should i as a 2014 grad should i start emailing the coaches at the colleges that im interested in now.Or should i wait to contact them.Or should i wait for them to contact me.

I look forward to hearing everyones opinion.
Thank you
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think it's never too early to compose a personalized email to a coach. Yes, you will be put on a mailing list for their camps (and other money making ventures), but a few will remember you and you will learn how to write good emails. Have your parents proof read before you send it. Also, begin researching the type of college you may be interested in - size, geography, team, prices, etc. Your initial feelings about the type of college you want may evolve over the next year as you develop different interests; so start looking into it now.
Tim, you registered just for the purpose of making that post?

On this cite, we don't give definitive answers unless you can back up your simple response with logic and reason. Your post falls woefully short of meeting that criteria. As for the baseball info, I don't in the least find it wrong to postm. The poster believed it was germane to the info he seeks. Moreover, it takes a set of cajones to be a 10th grader and post here; it takes nothing to make your type of post.

We welcome you if you have something to add to our community. Otherwise, there is a rock waiting for you to crawl back to.
NCBASEBALL10,

Actually the stuff you posted at the bottom tells a lot about you. You're 15 or 16 years old, still filling out, but with good potential size as well as a fastball that has room for some growth but is decent already. Welcome to the HSBBWeb and I hope you use this resource a lot over the next few years.
Keep working to develop more arm strength via long toss and work on control and command. Listen to what Goosegg told you and next year you can start the letters in earnest.
NCBASEBALL10,

I second everything you see here...except for "TimtheUn-Enchanter's" un-contribution.

As you let the programs of interest know about you, it never hurts to give them some insight into why you think they're of particular interest to you. The issuance of your team's schedule (whether school or summer/fall team) is an especially appropriate time to drop them a line as you send them your schedule.

Don't be disappointed if, initially, you don't hear as much in response from them as you'd like. Since you're in your Freshman year, they're limited in what they can send to you at this point. Despite that, you can be assured that they're noticing your correspondence and will make a point of casting an evaluative eye your way as you draw nearer to your Junior year.

Keep working every day to improve, always practice with a purpose, and keep in mind that your grades are as important as your development as a baseball player. You're off to a great start!
quote:
So heres my question should i as a 2014 grad should i start emailing the coaches at the colleges that im interested in now.Or should i wait to contact them.Or should i wait for them to contact me.

You should absolutely never wait for someone to come get you. You could be waiting a long time ... maybe even forever.

It is most assuredly not too early to start e-mailing. It's also not too late. You could wait a while yet if you wanted to, but if you feel ready to start, by all means start.

The camp invite is a pretty standard response. Before you go, ask yourself if you could see yourself attending the particular school. Camps can be a good way to get on the RADAR screens of coaches early, and coaches love tall guys who project to throw hard, so these could be worthwhile for you. But unless you're selective you could throw a lot of your parents' money down the drain. So maybe go to 1 or 2 between this winter and next summer.

One big question is whether you are ready to consider college decisions. More and more commitments are happening even before the junior year starts, and it's high level pitchers who lead that parade. While it's certainly a good idea to get your name out there and let folks start files on you and follow you, beware of getting too zoned in on one school too soon and maybe finding yourself presented with an offer and a deadline before you were really ready for that.

You are smart to be thinking ahead, but you also still have a lot of time. Focus right now on arm rest, getting ready to be at your best for spring, and making sure you are on the right team for summer. A few e-mails here and there reporting your HS schedule, your summer team and later, its schedule, are a great way to break the ice.
NCbaseball10,
My son is a 2014 as well. He is in the same place you are. He has sent some e-mails, and attended some camps this fall. From what I can tell it is good to start the communication but don't be suprised or discouraged if you receive a reply like:

(actual reply)
<Player>
Thank for attending camp. Because you are a 2014 there is only so much we can do as far as contact you. We cannot call until July 1 after your junior year. We cannot write you until September of you sophomore year. You can contact us at any time. Keep working!
Thanks
<Coach>

Just do like he said and keep working.
It's not to early, regardless of what other say. But, informaion communicated needs to be age appropriate. At his age, it should be about expressing interest, his schedules, upcoming camps, opprtunities to be seen by them, etc. After that, they will determine if he fits what they are looking for.

Do not be detered.
Midlo,
You are right, it did appear that the coach did not look at the results from the camp (because the write-up was pretty decent for a Sophomore) but just looked at the grade year and sent the standard reply.

He did get a more personal one that seemed as if the coach did take the time to look at the results:
Great job at the camp and we were glad to see you there. You did very well at the camp and impressed a lot of us. Several of us liked you on the mound and your fastball ranged anywhere from xx-xx mph which for your age is really good. Continue to work on your developing your off speed pitches. You did a good job in the outfield and at the plate. You ran a xx.x sixty. Try to get into that 7.1 or less range. I think you have a future on the mound if you continue to develop. Please send me a copy of your high school schedule when you get a chance.

<Coach>

NCBASEBALL10, just know that you may get a reply anywhere from one end of the spectrum to the other. Make the contacts but don't get discouraged with whatever reply you get. The biggest thing is that you need to get in front of them so they have some info on you.
I think it can not hurt you to show interest early. My son visited a school early in his sophomore year. The coach showed him around, he watched a practice and they parted ways. He watched them play and made sure the coach knew it by email when they traveled to our area. His Junior year he went to their camp and emailed his schedule etc and watched them play locally. He has developed a lot in the last year and this year (his senior) they want to take one more look at him and are talking scholarship. They have made the point that it has been good for them to see his development and like his tenacity which he showed by staying in touch.

Do what feels right to you. I think if you start now, the one thing you need to do is keep it up every few months so you can show your interest. A one time contact won't help at all.
Definitely NOT too early. You are off to a great start. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear from your fave schools. The rules are strict about communication. Do everything you can to get your name out there, use a service like ours if you want more than local exposure. It's a ton of work and long road, but worth it in the end. Stay focused on the dream but more importantly STUDY. That's where the real money is.

UpstateSportsMan.com/necp

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.