Skip to main content

Both my 2016 and 2018 just finished their 2014 seasons.

Both have scheduled team activities this week for next year's teams already.

Some speed and agility but significant drills as well.

I can understand the physical training needed, however, am I the only one that thinks the baseball side, from a mental standpoint, should be put away for a couple months?

My 2018 had an injury and didn't play much in the fall, however my 2016 was mentally exhausted coming back from Ft Myers PG underclass tourney.

Just think this game is so mentally tough on kids, that they need a break.

Thoughts?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm a fan of kids getting a break, both for physical and mental reasons.  Since many clubs charge a monthly fee I think coaches want to keep things going so the revenue keeps flowing. We always get pressure that his spot may be gone...so be it.  There's also enough parents out there that want to keep their kid progressing that they also put pressure on coaches to keep the activities going, so it goes both ways.  You just have to decide what's best and trust your decision.

ED, I applaud you for coming here and putting this question out. I am certain you will get many opinions. My one opinion is this. I do believe you need some time off from organized baseball. A lot depends on your sons position. I don't have a problem with kids continuing to throw (long toss- whatever your definition is of that) and hit off tee or flips in cage. I would not want to continue the grind of daily practices and such. It's easy to give advice from my position as my son has a scholarship, but this is the blueprint my son followed. He played basketball through 9th grade. He was injured and shut down 2 falls ago and only did weight training. Last fall he lifted and three sporadically. This fall the plan is to lift and follow a strict throwing program with no mound work until January. Just one dads idea.

I think they absolutely need a mental break, from the competition of games.  But not from the workouts (strength and conditioning, hitting, fielding, throwing, etc.).  I don't think my son will ever do the December PG Showcase in FL, as he's not mentally prepared for games at that point.  In the past I've mentioned taking a trip down there, but I can see he's just too locked into training. Not in game competition mode.  All of that being said, there has to be some downtime to rest their arms.

This seems to work well for my son, as by some point in January he is itching to start playing games.

younggun -  do you really have to abbreviate my name? Lol!

Stats - I do think it important. However, knowing my son, he would not want to go against the coach's decisions for the team. Even though we are in some disagreement with this. Just thinking where people stood on this.

For the record 2016 is a SS who batted 2 through 4 in the lineup.

The physical part was no bid deal.

It was the mental pressure to succeed, both at the plate and in the field.

Understand it comes with the territory.

Just think the coaching fraternity should take the mental nuances, of this difficult failure of a game in account a bit more.

IMO you will see better development

That being said. 

smitty, lefthook, young.. thanks for the encouragement.

I tell pretty much every pro guy I have to not talk to me or look at a baseball for 4 weeks.

The HS stuff is a little trickier. Chances are good they've logged way, way less mental stress and physical stress than your average college player (much less pro player), and if the kid is developmentally behind... time off isn't going to solve anything. But then again, neither is a death march where they end up hating the game.

It's a situation where there is no good answer for all shapes/sizes, which is why I hate when prolific coaches and trainers say that everyone should take X months off. It's really individual.

Both 9 (2015) and 7(2016) are pitchers and they both just shut down.  They will start throwing again at the beginning of January.  They will both continue to strength and condition, and both will play basketball.  I think they need the break and their arms need time to heal and recover.  9 will be pitching D1 starting in the fall of next year so I'm hopeful the recovery time now will serve him well next year.

So your talking travel team workouts, not HS?

Our travel team doesn't start up again until Dec because too many players r working in some capacity w HS team until then. 

If kids are P and have been going nonstop on one or more teams since April, then I would take a month break at least. Important too for kids to be working on grades. Many have missed classes due to tournaments this time of yr. 

Originally Posted by playball2011:

So your talking travel team workouts, not HS?

Our travel team doesn't start up again until Dec because too many players r working in some capacity w HS team until then. 

If kids are P and have been going nonstop on one or more teams since April, then I would take a month break at least. Important too for kids to be working on grades. Many have missed classes due to tournaments this time of yr. 

Yes travel ball.

Sorry here in Illinois, there is very little if any HS fall ball.

Weird but they seem to give way to travel teams right after summer ball

Originally Posted by Everyday Dad:

Stats - I do think it important. However, knowing my son, he would not want to go against the coach's decisions for the team. Even though we are in some disagreement with this. Just thinking where people stood on this.

I’m getting the distinct impression that you feel it’s in the boy’s best interests to shut down, but in order to please the coach, you’re abrogating your position of father to the coach. Of course that decision’s yours, but think about it. If he really was last season’s SS and really did bat 2 thru 4 in the lineup, what do you think would happen if he didn’t fully participate the way the coach wanted him too?

Maybe his team’s different than any HS team I’ve ever encountered and has loads of players to stick in there without losing a beat, but I’d be suspicious if you said they did. Players like that don’t grow on trees, and I don’t know of many coaches who’d refuse to use them in the spring if they didn’t go balls to the walls through the winter. IOW, methinks the coach would get over it.

I think it's very individual as well. Some continued strength/core/conditioning is great but you have to find that fine line with 14-18 yr olds of rest vs falling behind. What does your son want to do?

And Everyday Dad, as a fellow IL resident, you're right about HS giving way to travel after summer. And I'm a HS coach. We offer fall strength and open gym time starting mid Sept but nobody comes...everyone does their year round travel program conditioning. They pay thousands for it so I get it....I digress.

It is very individual, from what I have learned on this board is that apparently some families want the break from baseball and won't let the kids hit in the winter. My kids wanted to hit all winter and I was all for it. I wasn't going to force them to wrestle or play basketball if they didn't want to. November and December were pretty slow, but come January our Team practiced and kids began hitting and pitching lessons.

My 2018 had an injury and didn't play much in the fall, however my 2016 was mentally exhausted coming back from Ft Myers PG underclass tourney.

Just think this game is so mentally tough on kids, that they need a break.

Thoughts?

What do your kids want to do?  If I told my kid he couldn't touch a baseball or glove for a month or two...well....let's just say I would hide the knives while I was sleeping.

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

What do your kids want to do?  If I told my kid he couldn't touch a baseball or glove for a month or two...well....let's just say I would hide the knives while I was sleeping.

They're playing street/neighborhood touch football for one, and 2nd playing in the HS rec basketball league which is very competitive.

Also they both are doing Pads charity work and they also start working at a local snowboard/ski hill facility.

Baseball's been nonstop since Jan for 10 months.

Just think there's more to life than baseball.

Although I guess for some it is their life.

Just saying

They're playing street/neighborhood touch football for one, and 2nd playing in the HS rec basketball league which is very competitive.

Also they both are doing Pads charity work and they also start working at a local snowboard/ski hill facility.

Baseball's been nonstop since Jan for 10 months.

Just think there's more to life than baseball.

Although I guess for some it is their life.

Just saying

I didn't think they were going to be told to sit and twiddle their thumbs for 2 months...I asked what they wanted to do?  Have you talked to them about what they would like to happen?  I know as a parent you will have the final say but what are their feelings on a baseball break?

Everyday Dad, it's your program.  More, more, more.  Not that there is anything wrong with it. 

But I find a break works wonders.  Two previous years my kid played fall basketball instead of baseball.  I think it made him a better baseball player and certainly cleared his mind mentally.  This year he was back playing fall baseball (the basketball doesn't do his age level).  Didn't seem to have a negative effect baseball wise -- he's excited about the upcoming spring season.  But November/December are lower key for him baseball wise -- a lower priority.  He starts basketball full time and will supplement with a few position specific workouts (catcher) and he might hit once a week just to keep "fresh."  He'll miss a few workouts, but it's no big deal. 

Last edited by Golfman25

What triggered my OP was their, well mainly my 2016, coming home after his year end meeting to say they were starting up 11/9. He mentioned he thought they would have started in Jan like the year before. HE voiced a bit of displeasure, since he loves to do these other sports as well.

Now, when he has to miss a basketball game or a snowboard outing because of baseball,MY guess is, it will add a bit more of a sour taste in his mouth.

That being said, I know he will get over it, as baseball is his 1st love, although I remain firm, they need a break to do other things.

Originally Posted by Picked Off:

We always encouraged my son to take a break from baseball. Play another sport, recharge and enjoy life outside of baseball. His PC who played 16 years as a professional has always said, the pros take off, so why wouldn't  you.

Now as a collegiate player, he gets very little time off. 

Do the pro's REALLY take off though?  We see them February to October in MLB televised games and Spring Training, but what about November to January?  Are they really "off" or are they training, doing speed and agility, playing in out of country tournaments? 

Sorry to hijack the thread here but isn't that what the MiLB law suit is all about, there is no "OFF" time in baseball, they are not seasonal employees, therefor they should be paid minimum wage. Is it different for MLB?  Should it be different for HS and College?

We always encouraged my son to take a break from baseball. Play another sport, recharge and enjoy life outside of baseball. His PC who played 16 years as a professional has always said, the pros take off, so why wouldn't  you.

Do the pro's REALLY take off though?  We see them February to October in MLB televised games and Spring Training, but what about November to January?  Are they really "off" or are they training, doing speed and agility, playing in out of country tournaments? 

Sorry to hijack the thread here but isn't that what the MiLB law suit is all about, there is no "OFF" time in baseball, they are not seasonal employees, therefor they should be paid minimum wage. Is it different for MLB?  Should it be different for HS and College?

Didn't I just hear that Adam LaRoche just bagged a massive elk in Wyomng. Don't think he used his bat.

I know several MiLB & a couple MLB guys. None of them pick up a ball for a month or two. Do they still train, absolutely. If its your job you need to stay in shape. If its your HS sport you need to have fun. 

JMO

IMO this is a situation where you have to look at each player individually and weigh the benefits vs the risks. 

Personally, as a 2015 pitcher with no college looks, I will be training all through the off-season. I can't afford to take time off, and I'm far from mentally exhausted

On the other hand, a kid who has lots of college looks, already throws 90+, has played summer ball, showcases, tourneys, and fall ball might want to take some time off. 

just my 2cents

Didn't I just hear that Adam LaRoche just bagged a massive elk in Wyomng. Don't think he used his bat.

I know several MiLB & a couple MLB guys. None of them pick up a ball for a month or two. Do they still train, absolutely. If its your job you need to stay in shape. If its your HS sport you need to have fun. 

JMO

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d...amp;utm_campaign=mlb

Some MLB are shooting Elk, some seem to be playing in Japan.

My son finished his 1st minor league season in September. Through college season and then minor league, he played non-stop for over a year. His team told him to take a month off from training and don't touch a baseball till around thanksgiving. He did some traveling, started working out at his former college and will be getting back to the game soon. Physically I believe a break helps to extend his career. Relax , enjoy the ride.

From a collegiate standpoint: 

After Fall baseball, my son continues working out and long toss but he does not really get on a mound again until Christmas break. His fall classes are much tougher than the classes he takes in the spring, and he needs that additional time to focus on his studies. 

When he was in HS he played Basketball in the off season. He did not play varsity but played in a local rec league. It is good for the kids to have other interests. They should take late fall and winter months to explore those interests. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.