Skip to main content

BA's Top 500 includes the following VA HS players who are draft eligible this year:

RankPlayerPosSchoolStateState Rank 
33Jacob BukauskasRHPStone Bridge HS, Ashburn, Va.Va.3 
119Nick WellsLHPBattlefield HS, Haymarket, Va.Va.6 
124Blake BivensRHPWashington HS, Danville, Va.Va.7 
193Derek CaseyRHPHanover HS, Mechanicsville, Va.Va.10 
194Devon FisherCWestern Branch HS, Chesapeake, Va.Va.11 
215Tommy DoyleRHPFlint HillVa.14 
248Hunter TaylorC/3B/OFNandua HS, Onley, Va.Va.16 

Beyond these talented young men, who else should we watch for?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

From Richmond Times Dispatch.  Baseball players with state ties who could be drafted this weekend:

NameHigh school/collegePos.
Blake BivensGW-DanvilleRHP
Jacob BukauskasStone BridgeRHP
Derek CaseyHanoverRHP
Brandon CogswellU.Va.2B/SS
Brandon DownesU.Va.OF
Tommy DoyleFlint HillRHP
Derek FisherU.Va.OF
Devon FisherWestern BranchC
Nick HowardU.Va.RHP/3B
Chris HuffmanJames MadisonRHP
Nate IrvingU.Va.C
Michael KatzWilliam and Mary1B
Artie LewickiU.Va.RHP
Connor OvertonOld DominionRHP
Mike PapiU.Va.OF/1B
Ashton PerrittLibertyRHP
Ryan SeizLiberty2B
Hunter TaylorNanduaC/3B/OF
Nick WellsBattlefieldLHP
Hunter WilliamsCosbyLHP
Ryan YarbourghOld DominionLHP
Mark ZagunisVirginia TechC
I thought he went to IMG to help his draft position. Ouch, I hope they didn't pay $65000+ per year to attend for that. Doesn't make sense unless he had a high asking price. Will never know I guess.. Could of helped GB try and win a state title if he'd stayed home.

Originally Posted by Diamond-Life:
Taylor Lane (IMG & Great Bridge) - 40th Round - Milwaukee Brewers

Originally Posted by showcaseNOVA:

What about former Great Bridge player Taylor Lane who transferred to IMG Academy for his senior year? Did this help or hurt his projectability?

I thought he went to IMG to help his draft position. Ouch, I hope they didn't pay $65000+ per year to attend for that. Doesn't make sense unless he had a high asking price. Will never know I guess.. Could of helped GB try and win a state title if he'd stayed home.

He progressed quite well down at IMG.  He went to IMG to get better.  

I think Taylor's number scared away quite a few teams as well as his commitment to Florida.  What a great fallback plan - being a Florida Gator.

I don't know if he got better or just got seen. Maybe batting in the mid .300's had something to do with it too against far lessor pitching than he would have faced in Virginia. I wish him luck at UF.

He progressed quite well down at IMG.  He went to IMG to get better.  

I think Taylor's number scared away quite a few teams as well as his commitment to Florida.  What a great fallback plan - being a Florida Gator.

That's your opinion but I would guess I'm a little closer to the situation.

I can tell you that without a doubt he got better down at IMG but that's not saying he wouldn't have gotten better at GB. He put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and played SS.

His family had the means to send him to IMG.  I'm not sure why you feel the need to comment on his progress.

Also, I'm not sure that pitching he faced was worse at IMG. I would venture to guess it was as good or better than GB's opponents.  Additionally, he had a couple hundred ABs against everyone's ace the past 2 summers/falls with the EvoShield Canes.

Either way, he is going to Florida.  Poor kid...he is going to the play for the SEC Champion.

Last edited by redbird5
Originally Posted by fenwaysouth:

I just read in the newspaper that Devon Fisher out of State Champion Western Branch (UVA commit) will be going into professional baseball with the Boston Red Sox (20th round of MLB Draft).  I saw him play one time this year in the state 6A tournament, and he impressed the heck out of me.   Best of luck to Devon!

I don't think this is a total shock.  I think this young man has always had pro ball in his line of vision.

He may have a tough road in front of him with the Sox since they may have the best catching in the minors.  There are a few pretty high draft picks (including a 2011 first rounder and 2013 HS 3rd rounder) in the minors and a pretty solid 22 year old prospect at AAA. 

I wish him the best as he takes his cut at his dream.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.