Skip to main content

My boys are all finished up with baseball, but like most who frequent this site I still get the itch to watch a game even without a kid on the field.

Charlottesville Va started a new team (the Tomsox) this year playing in the Valley League and since Charlottesville is less than an hour away from our home we've been to quite a few games this summer - it's been really great, there are some outstanding players....

I wanted to invite others who have young men playing college wood bat this summer to share how things are going - OR - if you have simply been watching college summer leagues post up your thoughts and experiences.

Always to me, the game is so much more enjoyable when played with wood - so I really am enjoying the summer baseball.

BTW - the Valley League All Star Game is this Sunday July 12 at JMU's Eagle field - will be some great baseball for anyone nearby and interested.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman:

My boys are all finished up with baseball, but like most who frequent this site I still get the itch to watch a game even without a kid on the field.

Charlottesville Va started a new team (the Tomsox) this year playing in the Valley League and since Charlottesville is less than an hour away from our home we've been to quite a few games this summer - it's been really great, there are some outstanding players....

I wanted to invite others who have young men playing college wood bat this summer to share how things are going - OR - if you have simply been watching college summer leagues post up your thoughts and experiences.

Always to me, the game is so much more enjoyable when played with wood - so I really am enjoying the summer baseball.

BTW - the Valley League All Star Game is this Sunday July 12 at JMU's Eagle field - will be some great baseball for anyone nearby and interested.

My son played with the Covington LumberJacks last year. I was in VA for a week watching him play. I would also like to make a shout out to the Great Lakes League. Mostly based hear in Ohio. I enjoy watching the Licking County Settlers. 

Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:

My son played with the Covington LumberJacks last year. I was in VA for a week watching him play. I would also like to make a shout out to the Great Lakes League. Mostly based hear in Ohio. I enjoy watching the Licking County Settlers. 

Lumberjacks - Licking County Settlers - Tomsox = absolutely wonderful names!

Good to hear you are able to support the Great Lakes League.

Just curious, anyone ever hosted a player over the summer while the player competes in a summer league? If I lived in an area that had a team, I would love to host a player.

Last edited by Flying Dutchman

We host 3 players every summer for the Strasburg Express of the Valley League, but I am the General Manager so it's not unusual. We love the experience, except these guys drink a lot of water and Gatorade, and destroy our supply of luncheon meats. They invariably sleep until almost noon. Hosting provided the definitive proof my wife is a "Baseball Wife". We had hosted 2 and had an open bedroom, but it's right next to our bedroom. My wife tells me, "I don't want to put player in there...unless we can get a really good left-handed pitcher."  We did, he went there, and we've had 3 every summer since then.   Very good experience.

Son played the last two summers for the Green Bay Bullfrogs in the Northwoods League.  He as well as us really enjoyed the experience especially considering we are from Wisconsin and he plays college ball in Florida. The Northwoods League is very competitive and is scouted out by pro scouts at nearly every game. Plus it is run like minor league teams with in game entertainment and post game fireworks with autograph sessions plus many teams average several thousand fans a game including the Madison Mallard who average over 6 thousand a game.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.