Skip to main content

I was going to ask this in another thread but I did not want to hijack it. As far as recruiting is concerned, it is my understanding that a college coach can't reach out to an underclassman. If that is the case can a 2015 reach out to coaches about the school/program, etc? And, by default, a coach then communicating with the player? Sorry if this has been posted before, but we are just starting this whole process (this is happening a little to early for my taste...oy). My son has attended a few smaller workouts where there were some college coaches and a large showcase where there were a lot more. The person who oraganized the showcase has been contacted by some schools wanting my son's contact info. I'm just wondering, if there's a school he may want more info on or is interested in, shoud/could he contact the coach (and have a dialogue)? I really don't want to rush into this, I'm just interested in what options we have right now, as he starts his sophomore year.

Thanks
"Go show your father that baseball." - Sandy Koufax (this is what Sandy Koufax said to me after he signed my baseball and found out I didn't know who he was. I was 12 yrs old.)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are some major loopholes in the general proscription that coaches may not have personal contact before July 1 for a rising senior.

1. At a camp organized by the school, contact is permitted
2. If the athlete calls and a coach happens to pick up, the conversation may continue. (Coach may not respond to a voicemail message though)
3. If the athlete arranges a campus visit (unofficial visit) contact is permitted

Athletes may contact coaches any time
quote:
I really don't want to rush into this...

Then don't. If your son's talent is already being recognized by college coaches and they're asking how to contact him...let it play out.

They wont forget him...and if they do, then they just found someone they like better and its not the right place for him.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. I cannot tell you how many parents I have known that tried to sprint to the finish line prematurely.

Its still early, very early, for a sophomore. Focus on having a great HS and summer season. Focus on skills, conditioning, strength and grades. Focus on enjoying the HS experience on and off the baseball field. Your son will never get these years back. Don't wear him out before its even halfway over.
JB,
Great advice. And truly that's what we are doing. I want him to focus on grades, conditioning and grades. That's it. He is playing fall baseball and basketball, so hopefully those, with a little core strength exercises, until the school basketball season starts, will keep him busy enough. I really don't want to rush into anything, but since my son asked I figured why not post the question to the experts. Thanks again!
Pat, Green Light has given you some good information on ways in which contact with a coach can occur this early in the recruiting process.

As you get further into the recruiting process as your son gets older, keep in mind that when you start hearing about the recruiting periods when coaches can conduct off-campus recruiting activities, that the NCAA definition of "contact" is face-to-face interaction that occurs away from the college campus, and that can only occur during a contact period. For example, a college coach visiting with your son at his high school, at the field after one of his games, or at a showcase event such as a Perfect Game event.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.