@robyounce & @seethegear on Twitter & Instagram

WWBA World Champions (Jupiter) - 2013, 2014, 2015

17u PG World Series - 2013

17u WWB Champions - 2014

16u WWB Champions - 2013, 2010, 2009

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Kirby is a guy we share a history with. 

I helped found a youth program called the Huguenot Trailblazers that ran 1998-2002 for kids who ultimately were class of 2008 guys.  After 2002, we renamed that team as the first Virginia Cardinals squad.  One of my fellow coaches dropped back down to 9u and started a new Trailblazers team that included Kirby as well as current Va. Tech players Kit Scheetz and Mac Caples, ECU's Luke Lowery, and a few other guys who ended up with D1 opportunities from the class of 2012.  When those guys turned 13u, they formed a new Va. Cardinals team, then coached by Cosby's Tim Lowery (Luke's father).  Following their sophomore year of high school, several of them became part of our first 17u Va. Cardinals team and played with us for two summer/fall cycles.  (I should note that Luke Lowery went to the Canes and did not play for us.)

In the interim, I had recommended Kirby to Redbird and to Jeff when he was a freshman and was happy to do so.  After his two cycles with us, Kirby later joined the Canes again in fall of his senior year to go to Jupiter, which at that time was not available to us.  He had a standout outing there for which video clips are still available, I believe, via the PG web site.

A lot of people could see the potential in Nate from an early age, but for every 100 kids with potential, usually not even 1 actually ends up with a 7-figure bonus.  So perhaps top kudos should go to Rich Graham, who shepherded Kirby's pitching development from youth right up until he headed to Charlottesville.  

But it's a proud day any time anyone you know gets in line for a payday estimated at nearly $1.6 million.

And it's fun to think of all the times you saw that kid along the way and watched him grow into the talented competitor he is now.  I think Nate was 9 the first time I saw him pitch.  I hope we get to see him get some action in Omaha -- and some day, on the biggest stage of them all!

Last edited by Midlo Dad

I know I speak for the entire Canes organization in saying we don't take credit for the results of our alums - that is solely on their shoulders.  They are the ones who worked hard when others didn't.  Our role is to give them an avenue to show how good they are in hopes that a scout or college coach likes them.  Certainly, we coach and help develop them when they are with us but ultimately their being drafted (or offered a scholarship) is a result of their ability and hard work.  In our eyes, all of the credit should go to the player and their parents.  (This is not meant to diminish the role of people like Rich Graham, for whom we have a great deal of respect.)  We are certainly proud of their accomplishments and are honored they entrusted us to coach them for a game, a season or a career.  

From NBC12.com (nice summary from the Richmond area):

1st Round (Competitive Balance)- Nathan Kirby (James River, UVA)- Milwaukee Brewers

2nd Round (Competitive Balance)- Josh Sborz (UVA)- Los Angeles Dodgers

5th Round- Joe McCarthy (UVA)- Tampa Bay Rays

5th Round- Brandon Waddell (UVA)- Pittsburgh Pirates

10th Round- Vimael Machin (VCU)- Chicago Cubs

12th Round- Daniel Concepcion (VCU)- Kansas City Royals

13th Round- Michael Boyle (Deep Run, Radford)- Los Angeles Dodgers

14th Round- Luke Lowery (Cosby, East Carolina)- Arizona Diamondbacks

14th Round- Matt Winn (J.R. Tucker, VMI)- San Francisco Giants

19th Round- Nic Enright (Steward School)- New York Mets

19th Round- John LaPrise (UVA)- Toronto Blue Jays

20th Round- Kenny Towns (UVA)- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

21st Round- Matt Dacey (Richmond)- Tampa Bay Rays

22nd Round- Jordan Tarsovich (Trinity, VMI)- Los Angeles Dodgers

23rd Round- Kyri Washington (Longwood)- Boston Red Sox

36th Round- Tanner Stanley (Richmond)- Kansas City Royals

36th Round- Daniel Pinero (UVA)- Detroit Tigers

38th Round- Josh Reavis (Clover Hill, Radford)- Toronto Blue Jays

Last edited by keewart
Originally Posted by redbird5:

I know I speak for the entire Canes organization in saying we don't take credit for the results of our alums - that is solely on their shoulders.  They are the ones who worked hard when others didn't.  Our role is to give them an avenue to show how good they are in hopes that a scout or college coach likes them.  Certainly, we coach and help develop them when they are with us but ultimately their being drafted (or offered a scholarship) is a result of their ability and hard work.  In our eyes, all of the credit should go to the player and their parents.  (This is not meant to diminish the role of people like Rich Graham, for whom we have a great deal of respect.)  We are certainly proud of their accomplishments and are honored they entrusted us to coach them for a game, a season or a career.  

Not everyone gets drafted. It doesn't mean they didn't work just as hard as the ones that did. Everyone of these young men that got drafted should be very proud of them selves as should all the seniors that have been playing college ball and will be ending their seasons

every story is a great story when it comes to a kid getting drafted and realizing his dream to play professional baseball.....

.....but some are a little extra special.

Josh Reavis was a decent HS Catcher at Clover Hill HS and he set his sights on walking on at Radford.  Josh just kept pestering Joe Raccuia about getting a shot to walk on - he had everyone he knew reach out to Joe and put in a good word for him and in the end, Joe kept him on the fall roster and redshirted him while letting him be the bullpen catcher for the Highlanders.

All the while the staff at RU kept bringing in catcher after catcher, year after year, all of whom were supposed to be the every day backstop for the BigSouth squad.... But none of them could unseed Reavis.  The Red-shirt walk-on became the every day catcher for 4 years - and eventually became the captain of the Big South Champion, record setting Highlander squad that reached the regional final vs Vanderbilt recently.

Josh personifies the term "Grinder".  It is thrown around alot nowadays but this kid owns the title.  To now have been drafted by the Blue Jays in the 38th round may not seem as sexy as some of the other guys on this thread - but in all my years of coaching and loving this game it is guys like Josh Reavis that make me fall in love with the game all over again.

It's never over if you don't want it to be.... If you are willing to humble yourself, if you are willing to put in the work, if you are determined enough.... you can make your dreams come true.

Congratulations Josh Reavis.  Congratulations Joe Raccuia for believing in this kid and giving him his shot. 

Gotta love this game!!!!!

Congrats to all the young men either being drafted or continuing on to play college ball or moving on into their chosen careers.

My question to these travel teams that claim players theirs. What makes the players an alum? A game playing with them, a weekend, a month, a summer or 2,3,4 summers and fall? 

I'm all for pumping the kids up but it seems like the praising is more for their program and a recruiting tool.

I would think anyone would be proud to have any legitimate tie to a kid having this level of success.  So as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier!

It's a point of pride and rightfully so.

As it happens, in this particular draft, the two Cardinals pitchers chosen played with us for summer, fall and the following summer, i.e., from end of sophomore year through the summer preceding their senior years.  One was a high draft prospect out of high school but elected to go to UVA for three years first.  The other is now being drafted straight out of high school, though I do not know where he'll come down on the college v. pro decision just yet. 

Originally Posted by 5.5hole:

Congrats to all the young men either being drafted or continuing on to play college ball or moving on into their chosen careers.

My question to these travel teams that claim players theirs. What makes the players an alum? A game playing with them, a weekend, a month, a summer or 2,3,4 summers and fall? 

I'm all for pumping the kids up but it seems like the praising is more for their program and a recruiting tool.

Does it really matter? My guess is that 'alum' could mean all that you described...and none would be incorrect. I don't see what the big deal is - in programs staking a claim to any players that may have played for them no matter how short or long the period.

As far as it being a recruiting tool...maybe?? But again what's the harm? What travel program wouldn't want to lure the best players? BTW, I don't think either program alluded to on this thread has any problem finding top players.

Originally Posted by 5.5hole:

First and foremost, we have never claimed a player to be "ours".  We do not own the players.  This may seem like semantics to you but it is a personal point of contention with me.  These players are free to play with anyone they want and have chosen to play with us.  We are fortunate and honored.  We do our best to help make them better and provide a platform upon which they can show their abilities to college coaches and pro scouts.  Heck, I offer our roster to any opposing teams who would like to recruit an EvoCane player.  

But interesting question...Our program is somewhat different than most in that, prior to this year, we have only had teams from 15u-17u.  So, until now, we couldn't say our players have been with us for their career.  That is changing as we now have EvoCanes youth teams.  This year, we had a total of 45 alumni drafted, five of which were from VA.  Let's just focus on the VA EvoCanes alums for now:

Nathan Kirby - joined us for the fall of 17u year.  

Josh Sborz - personally coached him at 15u & 16u.  Was part of Canes program from 15u-17u.

Brandon Lowe - personally coached him from 13u (prior to Canes) to 16u.  Was a Cane from 15u-17u

Luke Lowery - Cane from 15u-17u.  Father is a coach with the EvoCanes.

Nic Enright - joined us in fall of 17u but was part of EvoSeminoles & RBA West 

If you ask any of the above players, they consider themselves part of the EvoCanes family.  It's not lip service.  I know that I personally get a hearty greeting when I see any of them.  That tells me all I need to know.

We have always stated that we are proud of our alumni whether the play with us only for a weekend (very rare), a season or their career.  We are just happy and honored they wore our uniform.  You may consider that "praise for the program and a recruiting tool" but I consider it sincere joy for our alums and happy that we can be a contributor in their life and playing career. 

Last edited by redbird5

Set aside the familial atmosphere, the relationships between players, and superb coaching, consider this...

Even if it was for one season, it would be hard for me to believe that most, if not all, of these players didn't benefit from the Canes network of collegiate coaches and recruiters, pro scouts, and advisors. With the number of professionals associated with this organization, a player and family can enjoy a very expansive and robust network.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.